Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medic Alert ID or not?

Do you have or want to get a Medic-Alert ID?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have or want to get a Medic-Alert ID?

• Yes
    • No
    • I want to

I'm glad I found this thread because I've thought about getting a Bracelet after I'm banded. This just confirms my feelings on it.

Thanks!

hmm... NOW I understand why my surgeon's office gave me a brochure for the medical ID Bracelet. I was kinda thinking to myself...... what in the would would I need this for? Now I know...and now I think I will order one.

They're actually pretty cute...

www.LaurensHope.com

As soon as I started thinking of the band one of my fears was 'what if I get into an accident and they don't know I have a band?' I thought to myself 'I need a medical ID'. I have not been banded yet but I can assure you that before my surgery my medical ID will be here in hand and go right to the hospital me.

I'm going to get a necklace I think. At first I wasn't going to. For a long time, years actually, I had thought of one due to allergies (I'm allergic to most antibiotics). But then recently I figured I wouldn't because I thought you had to fit all the stuff you would want someone to know on them-- my neck would get heavy between the allergies, the band, and another thing or two I should list. But then someone told me that just the most urgent type stuff gets put on it and there is a number they call and they number has all your information including current meds, allergies, freakish medical conditions, not so freakish medical conditions, etc. So now I do plan on getting one.

I'm going to get a necklace I think. At first I wasn't going to. For a long time, years actually, I had thought of one due to allergies (I'm allergic to most antibiotics). But then recently I figured I wouldn't because I thought you had to fit all the stuff you would want someone to know on them-- my neck would get heavy between the allergies, the band, and another thing or two I should list. But then someone told me that just the most urgent type stuff gets put on it and there is a number they call and they number has all your information including current meds, allergies, freakish medical conditions, not so freakish medical conditions, etc. So now I do plan on getting one.

That is medic alert, there is a start up fee and a yearly fee to maintain the data base. But they have some very nice medic tags. even pink. ~Mandy

Hey, Is this really necessary? I also have Multiple Sclerosis but I have a card for that in my wallet. I guess I just did not want to advertise the fact that I am banded and have MS in the workplace etc.

Any nursing/medical staff want to weigh in on this?

Susannah

Hey, I saw some cute Medic alert bracelets on jewelbasket.com

Still not sure if we really need to have one though. Susannah

Hey, Is this really necessary? I also have Multiple Sclerosis but I have a card for that in my wallet. I guess I just did not want to advertise the fact that I am banded and have MS in the workplace etc.

Any nursing/medical staff want to weigh in on this?

Susannah

Another option is a long necklace, it wouldn't be seen by anyone other than the paramedics. ~Mandy

i have a medic alert braclet already for my other health issues and meds. i have been thinking about how i would be able to fit everything on it.

anyone in the same perdicument?

missyR is it possible that some of the other conditions will improve with weightloss? ~Mandy

hi mandy! no unfortunatly not so i am not sure how i will fit everything on my medic alert. i was in a horrible car accident when i was 18 and i know from first hand knowledge that you never know. i always tell the joke, my mom always said wear nice clean underwear cause you just never know lol and she was right!

You'd be a good candidate for the toll-free number service. It's service that you sign up for, and if you are ever in an accident, the doctors would call the number and get your entire medical history.

I hadn't thought about an alert Bracelet for banding...I wear one because I'm allergic to tetanus shots, but I think I'll get a new one with lap-band info...

Out of curiosity, if I am in a situation where I am unconscious and in a hospital or ambulance, will the medics actually look for a medic ID on me?