Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The odd NSV's of a Paramedic

Alright, I decided to post a couple of NSV's that go through the warped mind of a paramedic, hopefully you all hearing how us warped individuals that save lives everyday think won't frighten anyone, lol.

Most recent one was the other day I respond on a lift assist the classic I've fallen and can't get up, get to the house and as frequently is the case all the doors are locked, the patient is in the house and yells for us to break down the door, now I have been running on the ambulance for 23 yrs and am currently a Supervisor so don't do as much direct field work as I used to, so it's probably been at least 10 yrs since the last time I broke down a door and for the last couple years I usually call for fire department or let the police do it because I didn't have the energy and or strength to break them in anymore, but this time I figure all this time in the gym i'll just go ahead and do it. So I hit the door with my shoulder and bust right through, actually almost fell going through because it was so much easier then in the past, afterwards I look and had actually split the door jam down the middle. The 20 something kid that was my partner that day looks at me and says nice job, and then laughs and says but you don't need to look so happy about busting down someone's door.

On another recent shift got dispatched for an unconscious person in a vehicle, get to the scene and the fire department already busted the car window and got the doors open, but there all standing there looking at the patient trying to figure out how they should get him out of the vehicle. In the past I usually have just stood back and told the firemen how to extricate the patient, but this time I walk right up reach in grab the patient under the arms and tell my partner to grab the legs and pull the guy out and then realize I forgot to make sure the litter was ready first so now i'm stuck just holding this patient in the air while the fireman get the litter set.

The rescue coats we wear for protection at vehicle accidents and fires are very expensive, in excess of like 500 dollars for just the coat and they have to fit right or they actually go from being protective to being dangerous, but due to the cost it never goes well when you tell the manager that you outgrew your rescue coat and you need a new one, if your lucky the timing works out that they can find someone else it will fit that needs one but obviously the bigger you are the less likely of that. Well anyhow the other day I take my Rescue coat into the manager's office and say I have to turn this back in because I can't wear it anymore, it's a size 4x and I now need a size large, the manager looks at me and says good job, go ahead a call and order yourself a brand new one.

And of course the strangest thing a paramedic thinks and I believe this one is true of many other medical professionals is that paramedics are constantly looking at peoples veins, it is actually almost subconscious, can't be helped, when your trained to start right away looking for a good IV access point right away so you can get it established quickly you just start looking at peoples veins in everyday situations. Yes that means if you know any paramedics and have spent anytime with them even just talking they probably already have identified most of your major arm and neck veins and determined wear they would like to stick needles in you. Anyhow it's funny as I keep losing weight I keep finding myself staring at my own arm veins constantly thinking how easy it would be to start several large bore IV's on myself.

OK, that's all for now, hope you can all get some enjoyment out of my disturbed thinking.

Awesome post! LOL! Thanks so much for sharing!!

That was a great read! Thank you for posting this and thank you for the work you do!

Cool! Thanks for twisted thinking that may actually save my life someday. You are a hero!

Wow - very interesting stuff. Congratulations on your NSVs!! LOL... love the "you don't need to look so happy about breaking down someones door" comment! Thanks for all you do as a first responder too - communities need dedicated paramedics like you.

That's a great read thanks!! One of my favourite of your NSV's were the veins.. I'm a phlebotomist and when I did my training no one could feel or find my veins.. They were very well hidden.. Now I've lost 100lbs I too can't stop prodding and poking my nice 'new' prominent veins!! Amazing achievements! Well done!

This was a great post! The fact that your new fitness level is helping you help other people is so wonderful. Thanks for what you do.

May I just say if I am ever sick or injured, will you come rescue me? Great nsv's!