Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you handle donating your oversized clothes? Did fear of weight regain rear its ugly head?

My wife made me go through my clothes to get rid of my oversized clothes this weekend. I was more than happy to donate but had a problem getting rid of my new and almost new ( some still had the tags on them) expensive suits, slacks, and shirts. I had a wave of what if I regain the weight I lost- what would I have to wear? My wife kindly said, you have not cheated, drink only Water, and exercise like a maniac. So how is that going to happen? I then got into it and donated the clothes to the Veterans Administration, The Red Cross, and to a local Dress for Success chapter for lower income men looking to enter the workforce.

All are great causes, but it was still hard getting rid of items I never or barely wore 2-3 times. Has anyone experienced this or am I being crazy?

I went through the same thing this weekend. I'm just 3 months out, so I'm by no means close to goal, but I just bought a new & much smaller pair of jeans. I couldn't believe what size actually fit me, so I came home & tried on all 14 pairs of jeans in my drawer. Only 1 pair still fit...they're already a little loose, but I can still wear them for awhile. I kept the biggest pair for a reminder, bagged up the other dozen or so....and then the doubt hit. What if I regain? What if this doesn't work for me in the long run? What if I fail?

I haven't even started on anything else other than jeans, but I hope I don't struggle with doubt the whole way to goal.

What a great question! I am having the same issue. I've lost a bunch of weight SO many times, gotten rid of my "fat clothes" and then had to buy new ones when I regained the weight. I can't seem to shake those memories so I'm having a really hard time letting go of clothes. I think I'm going to do some research on percentage of people who gain their weight back. I think the chances are low. But I always feel like I'm going to be the one person for whom this doesn't work.... Bottom line: You aren't crazy!~

This is the first time I have been confident in getting rid of big clothes, even those with tags that I never did wear.

I consider it just one more expense of the surgery.

Burn the bridge.

I cleaned out my closet 3 months ago filled 4 black garbage bags and then let them sit in the garage. Finally gave them to someone I work with For their son and he himself has a large family so he only gets close for his kids and spend very little on himself there many new shirts and pants so hopefully he'll be extremely appreciative of them. It made me feel good because his mother who I work with is always very supportive of my journey.

I donated my clothes to the Diabetes Association. When I went into their store I saw all my clothes hanging on hangers...It was the weirdest thing really..But I had a real sense of pride because they no longer fit me and I am sure that others will get use out of them.......

As Martha Stewart says.." It's a good thing."

I just went through my closet, dresser, and cedar chest this weekend. Ended up filling 4 black trash bags full too (some still with tags)! Already threw in my summer clothes from this year that were getting a bit loose. Hopefully we don't get a hot streak!!

I'm absolutely unsure about getting rid of clothes too. I've decided I will get rid of anything that is 2 sizes too big during the journey, and once I hit goal, I will keep clothes up to 2 sizes too big. Which is a total copout and I'm hoping that the year or so it may take me to lose my 60 lbs knocks some sense into me.

But yes I can totally relate.

I will say I enjoy the thought of giving my work clothes to Dress for Success in the future. It seems like a worthy cause to me, and a good use of my expensive suits.

I feel good about the organizations and the good work they do. I think my issue was with the economics side of the donation. I was waving goodbye to thousands of dollars worth of clothes. However, I know someone else will benefit from the clothes I let go. My wife put them downstairs ready for pick up in the morning. She said by the time I get home tomorrow, the clothes will be prepared for their new owner.

Being the cynical person I am, I said I hope you mean someone in need and not a worker at the organization. Maybe I'm not totally crazy but a little crazy for thinking that,

My wife made me go through my clothes to get rid of my oversized clothes this weekend. I was more than happy to donate but had a problem getting rid of my new and almost new ( some still had the tags on them) expensive suits, slacks, and shirts. I had a wave of what if I regain the weight I lost- what would I have to wear? My wife kindly said, you have not cheated, drink only Water, and exercise like a maniac. So how is that going to happen? I then got into it and donated the clothes to the Veterans Administration, The Red Cross, and to a local Dress for Success chapter for lower income men looking to enter the workforce.

All are great causes, but it was still hard getting rid of items I never or barely wore 2-3 times. Has anyone experienced this or am I being crazy?

I donated minds to the salvation army! Yes it was hard especially my dress clothes. It's fun going shopping because I find myself still on the plus size and laugh and go to the regular size. I don't buy a lot because in a few months I have to donate again.

I have given a lot of my clothes to a wonderful local charitable organization, but I also took 168 pieces to a brand new plus-size consignment shop. Even though it is called a consignment shop, she was so happy to have so much inventory from me that she bought the clothes outright instead of consigning them. I got over $700 for the items I took her. I turned down her offers for some of my nicer pieces — evening gowns, etc., and I'm going to list them on eBay or poshmark. It's nice to have a little cash that I can use to buy a few smaller things. I purged my closet again this weekend, and I have three huge suitcases full and in my car ready to take to her tomorrow. I am getting rid of everything that is even a little bit too big for me. I'm determined not to go back, but there is that little voice in the back of my head telling me that I'm going to regret getting rid of everything. (I did keep one pair of jeans to take that requisite "standing in one leg" picture.)

Great post! I feel the same way. I have very expensive clothes taste.. And somewhat mourning my clothes. I know I need to give them away... one day...But some of my dresses I love very much. I just didn't like the size I had to buy them in. Lololol. I've even though of getting the clothes altered .. That's crazy sounding huh?

Since I am approaching the halfway point to goal it's been hard to let go of the clothes, especially the more expensive clothes. Not gonna lie I sent 3 of my suit pants to be altered rather than buy a bunch of new ones because it was cheaper. Some of the shirts I tapered myself. If I wasn't living paycheck to paycheck maybe I'd spring for more at this point now that I am down more than 4 sizes. But my plan is to start buying things when I'm down to non-plus sizes (I'm a 12/14 now so almost there)!

Think of the old clothes as flotsam or jetsam. This time your weight loss journey will be a successful one so no need to continue to carry the needless baggage.

I agree that 1. you do need to let them go. 2. donating them is the best feeling ever (gave mine to a women's/children's day home a place for battered/abused women/children and they were in desperate need of plus size clothing) 3. it's hard stuff.

Even at my highest weight, I have always been someone who wore nice clothing, jewelry, makeup, etc. I have never just rolled out of bed threw my hair up and pulled on a pair of sweat pants and felt that was good enough. So it was HARD for me to let go of my entire wardrobe of nice stuff that I paid a pretty penny for===>since we all know clothing manufacturers can get away with charging more for plus size clothing. In fact, it was so hard that I held on to stuff longer than I should have but once I knew WHERE the clothing was going then I was excited. I'm not saying you shouldn't sell it if you can, but donating all of my beautiful stuff made me feel really good.

As far as the fear of regain...well, even though it's been a good two years that I have remained relatively at the same size (almost 3 years post-op) I did regain some weight ...from about 18 months post-op until the beginning of this year when I finally got a handle on things (total regain was about +20lbs which I have since worked off -10lbs). So in my "normal" closet I still have a bit of a fluctuation in sizes but nothing drastic.

Don't let the fear of regain keep you holding onto the clothing. Let it go and bless someone else and concentrate on getting new clothing that fits you and your new body!