Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone,

I would like some advice, and/or suggestions from everyone. I am 2 weeks post-op surgery. Surgery went extremely well and I felt great for a week, then hit a wall with Constipation (which is being controlled now with stool softeners and Fiber supplement). My issue is that I CAN NOT even wear the jeans that I could wear before surgery. They scale shows I have lost weight (only about 1/2 pound at a time) but my clothes sure don't. I am not having any issues with drinking and getting the amount of fluids I need. In fact, I am already getting hungry and really want something that I can chew. I can move to pureed foods this week. I just don't understand the weight issue. I have heard stories about stalls at 3 weeks out, but never not losing anything up front. I am really feeling like I made a HUGE mistake and know there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I am sticking to low calorie, staying away from any sweets (not even eating the sugar free pudding it allows on my diet) and no caffeine.

Any suggestions!

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I would like some advice, and/or suggestions from everyone. I am 2 weeks post-op surgery. Surgery went extremely well and I felt great for a week, then hit a wall with Constipation (which is being controlled now with stool softeners and Fiber supplement). My issue is that I CAN NOT even wear the jeans that I could wear before surgery. They scale shows I have lost weight (only about 1/2 pound at a time) but my clothes sure don't. I am not having any issues with drinking and getting the amount of fluids I need. In fact, I am already getting hungry and really want something that I can chew. I can move to pureed foods this week. I just don't understand the weight issue. I have heard stories about stalls at 3 weeks out, but never not losing anything up front. I am really feeling like I made a HUGE mistake and know there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I am sticking to low calorie, staying away from any sweets (not even eating the sugar free pudding it allows on my diet) and no caffeine.

Any suggestions!

Thanks

What do you estimate the scale to show you have lost?

The scales show I am down 11 lbs since weight in on the morning of the surgery which was 2 weeks ago today.

I can see why you'd be very frustrated. How much are you walking at this point? You will probably start losing more after you start on soft foods. Right now your body is in shock and starvation mode. Put Protein first and you won't be able to not lose. Patience and stay the course.

What is your weight and height? You may still have some swelling and gas that is taking up the room that the fat did. You may be the type that loses weight in your upper body first. Eleven is a good amount for two weeks. I would recommend relax and follow your program. I am a big believer that stress can cause stalls. The only thing that you can control is how much you drink (64ou+), how much Protein you get (mine is 70g+), and how much exercise you do (30 min+). You can't control how much weight you lose, so don't stress over it! If you follow your program you will lose weight!

I would guess you are probably still swollen, I am almost 4 weeks out and just starting to notice a difference in my pants... I can already see it in my face and upper tummy/boob area. Give it some time - things get better.

Are you taking your measurements? If not, start! I track mine in MyFitnessPal. I added additional measurements for my arms, breast, ribs, waist, hips, thighs, and calves. It only takes about 5 minutes to do the measurements and I do them just about every week. It is so nice to see how many inches I have lost (53 inches total!), especially on weeks that I don't lose.

To setup the measurements, you have to use the website and not the app. Select My Home, then Check-In. At the bottom, click on Track Additional Measurements, then add each one you want to track.

Here's a pic from the app and the website.

post-47230-13813669616527_thumb.jpg

post-47230-13813669617009_thumb.jpg

Relax and stick to the program - you can eat too little which will stop weight loss so make sure you are eating what you can, drink your Water and keep moving. Don't be despondent, it's only 2 weeks. Probably took time to put the weight off, will take time to get it off. Our bodies all react differently to the surgery - just keep breathing, it will happen for you...

You obviously got the Schrader Valve procedure. It is used in many surgeries.

Doctors sometimes overlook telling the patient or typically don't explain it in sufficient detail. It is when they install a small Schrader valve in and inconspicuous location and then during recovery they come in at night and inflate the surgical area to a size that is sometimes even larger than before surgery. No- one knows exactly why. Probably the reason you experience gas pains as well. No worries, gradually it will deflate and the valve dissolves on it's own after a period of time.

And for some reason if you ask your Surgeon later, he will deny any knowledge of it. Go figure.

I went through the same frustration and anguish, gained weight after surgery and didn't lose for about three weeks. But in retrospect I'm down 75 pounds

You obviously got the Schrader Valve procedure. It is used in many surgeries.

Doctors sometimes overlook telling the patient or typically don't explain it in sufficient detail. It is when they install a small Schrader valve in and inconspicuous location and then during recovery they come in at night and inflate the surgical area to a size that is sometimes even larger than before surgery. No- one knows exactly why. Probably the reason you experience gas pains as well. No worries, gradually it will deflate and the valve dissolves on it's own after a period of time.

And for some reason if you ask your Surgeon later, he will deny any knowledge of it. Go figure.

Funny as Helllllllll!

Thank guys for your encouragement and advice. I think alot of my frustration comes from the fact that I really hit the ground running. No soreness, no gas pains, etc. I felt fantastic until about one week out when Constipation hit. Still having a few issues with it, but working on it. I was allowed to start exercising last week. I go faithfully to the gym every morning and do 30 minutes of cardio (combination of treadmill and ellipitical). Doctor said no classes or anything with weights until 6 weeks out. I am 5-4 and weighed 272.6 on the day of the surgery. To date I weight 256.9 which has been the same for a week. I am drinking fine, in fact, most days, I get more than the 64 recommended ounces easy. I am struggling a little with Protein, but finally have it up to 60. I am so tired ALL of the time. To make matters worse, I am back at work full time and at school full time and just don't seem to be able to keep up with it all. I knew it would be a slow process to lose the weight (as it didn't go on overnight)., I just never dreamed I wouldn't be able to wear the clothes I wore before the surgery, I was just allowed to go to pureed foods for the next 2 weeks, then soft foods for weeks 5-6. I am excited about the fact that I have lost 16 lbs, but I sure can't figure out where it went..all clothes are tighter than before surgery, including bra and underwear..go figure! Will keep plugging forward..after all at this point got no choice!

Ok..I listened to everyone about patience. I'm feeling better..not so tired but still not losing..2 lbs since my post on Sept 8..I'm beginning to think this was the worst decision of my life

Ok..I listened to everyone about patience. I'm feeling better..not so tired but still not losing..2 lbs since my post on Sept 8..I'm beginning to think this was the worst decision of my life

I couldn't fit into my clothes 2 weeks post-op; it felt very tight- I was swollen- so swollen it took about 4 weeks for it to go down...and when I finally did put on my Jeans they were falling off...your stomache went through lots of trauma; give it time to heal :)

I know it's hard, but give it some time. If you keep doing what they say, you'll lose weight. You are probably only eating less than 1000 calories a day, right? Your body undoubtedly has to burn more just to keep you alive. So by definition, your body must be burning its own fat to keep you alive or you'd be dead. In time, this will all be reflected on the scale/your clothes.

Sometimes the number on the scale can go up because of levels of Fluid, but Water does not equal fat.