Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did the doctor himself give you second thoughts?

I have been seeing my Dr for 6 months. He has mentioned that his practice has experienced 0 leaks during his seminars and his visits. Well now I'm 2 weeks away he said its no longer zero. Its gone from 2 ppl out of every hundred patients to have leaks. He said this past week 2 patients of his are hospitalized with drains. They have to stay for 2 weeks. He reccomends the lapband 100 percent saying that there's few complications with his patients. He said its up to me that if I decide on the sleeve he will do the job very "meticulously".. I keep thinking..over analyzing is more like it..any opinions???

that is a very tough call, especially because you're so far in (6 months). I think it's peculiar that he's pushing the lapband, most surgeons tend to say the lapband is phasing out due to the severe complications. Personally, and this is just me, this surgery is too important to settle on a surgeon I'm not 1000000000% comfortable with. I know it would suck big time to have to start over with someone new, but long-term it may be better for you.

It's totally your call. To me, that's a huge red flag. Thinking of you!

****! Second thoughts?? I'd run for the hills!

The mere fact that he's trying to talk you into the lapband now, tells me he's not feeling very comfortable with his ability to perform the sleeve surgery!

Has he only done 100 sleeves?

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how many hes done. I know hes been in the business since the early 90s and he works for a center of excellence. I have read so many problems about the lapband myself..I just don't like the feeling of my doctor not being confident in the procedure. Hes the only center of excellence In Texas..I'm going to do my research. Ive lost 65 on my own before starting this liquid diet. Maybe its a sign I shouldn't get the surgery...hmmm?

Wow, that is crazy, that must have been very worrisome for you. The only thing my surgeon ever gave me second thoughts on was gastric bypass, he said he recommends it highly but wanted me to consider the sleeve. He did talk about his 0 leaks, 0 strictures, 1 mortality, a couple excess bleeders who needed transfusions. Following surgery I found out one of my friends has a brother who had bypass in June, by my surgeon, anyway I guess he ended up in the ICU for bleeding issues following his surgery. Obviously I didn't expect my surgeon to be like I had another one, but it did make me a little nervous, but I was already post op. It was a relief when I met with my surgeon again pre op after nearly 7 months and everything was still 0 though.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how many hes done. I know hes been in the business since the early 90s and he works for a center of excellence. I have read so many problems about the lapband myself..I just don't like the feeling of my doctor not being confident in the procedure. Hes the only center of excellence In Texas..I'm going to do my research. Ive lost 65 on my own before starting this liquid diet. Maybe its a sign I shouldn't get the surgery...hmmm?

I think the first thing you need to do is ask how many sleeves he's done... He could of been doing mostly bands and just started the sleeve not that long ago. Leaks happen sometimes but I think it's real bad luck that he's had two in such a short time. So I would want to know just how many he's done.

You said that he changed his stats this week and now it two in 100? That sounds like he's only done 100..

Lapband? No it's a defected device so whatever you do don't set yourself up for more surgeries in the future due to complications.

Oh when he says there is less complications with lapband? He's right, IN THE FIRST 30 DAYS!

Long term? It's nothing but a mess.

65 pounds is great! I would say maybe he's not the right doctor but I wouldn't take it as a sign that you shouldn't have surgery all together.

I think the first thing you need to do is ask how many sleeves he's done... He could of been doing mostly bands and just started the sleeve not that long ago. Leaks happen sometimes but I think it's real bad luck that he's had two in such a short time. So I would want to now just how many he's done.

You said that he changed his stats this week and now it two in 100? That sounds like he's only done 100..

Lapband? No it's a defected device so whatever you do dint set yourself up for more surgeries in the future due to complications.

Oh when he says there is less complications with lapband? He's right' date=' IN THE FIRST 30 DAYS!

Long term? It's nothing but a mess.

65 pounds is great! I would say maybe he's not the right doctor but I wouldn't take it as a sign that you shouldn't have surgery all together.[/quote']

Thank you so much. Im defenitely going to ask and get more details on his experience. I don't know if he was referring to the statistics of the sleeve in general or his actual experience as a doctor. I hear ya about the lapband!! I think the sleeve will help me even more. Now I'm determined to know his mortality rate since now all the info is changing. And to make it worse they added a new Dr this week that specializes in the gastric bypass. Ive already done my research and know the bypass isn't for me...its just a bunch of drs wanting to make loads of money.. if only had more assurance that I will be okay afterwards..only heaven knows:)

Well I'm partial... but I like the sleeve above all the other options. :)

Good luck to you, and if he's not right one don't get discouraged, it just means that this wasn't meant to be with him..

On one hand, I like that he is being honest with you about the change in his stats, but on the other, it is shocking to me that he is now (still!) pushing for lap-band. Unbeknownst to me at my initial consultation, my surgeon has been a trainer for Allergan and the lap-band...and he, admittedly, was slow to embrace the sleeve, but now only recommends the lap-band with serious reservations...he says he had to do what is in the best interest of his patients, and the lap-band just isn't!

Complications can and do happen, and are not always the result of poor surgical work. I would definitely talk with him and see what he says about those 2 cases...is he baffled as to how the leaks occurred?...was there a component of patient non-compliance? Is his post-op eating plan possibly an issue (re-introducing patients to solid food before prudent)...

I didn't go through insurance, so I don't know the answer to this, but does the pre-approval process have to start over if you switch doctors? I know you said you have limited local options, but would be worth it to me to travel a bit to get to a surgeon that is an ardent supporter of the sleeve with many hundreds of VSG surgeries under his belt!!

Hmmm, I would be nervous of this doctor. My doctor does not do lapbands at all. He doesn't believe in them. Ask a lot of questions.

On one hand' date=' I like that he is being honest with you about the change in his stats, but on the other, it is shocking to me that he is now (still!) pushing for lap-band. Unbeknownst to me at my initial consultation, my surgeon has been a trainer for Allergan and the lap-band...and he, admittedly, was slow to embrace the sleeve, but now only recommends the lap-band with serious reservations...he says he had to do what is in the best interest of his patients, and the lap-band just isn't!

Complications can and do happen, and are not always the result of poor surgical work. I would definitely talk with him and see what he says about those 2 cases...is he baffled as to how the leaks occurred?...was there a component of patient non-compliance? Is his post-op eating plan possibly an issue (re-introducing patients to solid food before prudent)...

I didn't go through insurance, so I don't know the answer to this, but does the pre-approval process have to start over if you switch doctors? I know you said you have limited local options, but would be worth it to me to travel a bit to get to a surgeon that is an ardent supporter of the sleeve with many hundreds of VSG surgeries under his belt!![/quote']

I agree 100 percent! It could be many reasons why the patients have leaks..I will def seek info about it when I go the last time for preop. I wouldn't have to start over just would have to see the psych again and one more Nut class. But the office doesn't have any other surgeons who do the sleeves..just if I wanted the gastric bypass..but that's a no no too! The travel wouldn't be too bad..maybe an hour drive..my dad is.convinced that the Dr is telling me these new "stats" now cause I'm at the end and I'm the fish attached to the hook. I know any new procedure or surgery is a risk just like failing to eat well..either way I can doe but if.all goes well I will be able to add more years to my life. No drugs ..no alcohol..just my weight that can lead to soo much. I'm determined and I smile that theres complete strangers taking the time and effort to respond to my posts. I'm greatly appreciative!!!