Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it really worth it?

I'm getting sleeved on Friday...yes, this Friday! Maybe its just jitters...but is getting sleeved really worth the bad breath, bad BO, loss of hair, dumping, Constipation, almost pukes, full blown pukes...what else am I missing? I know the weight....but does it really and truly "outweigh" the above? Any advise, stories, pat on the back...would be welcomed. Thanks!

I haven't had any of the above except one case of the slimies early on. Of course I'm about 9 weeks out so haven't hit the stage where I expect Hair loss. Dumping is rare with the sleeve, and the other problems seem like occasional things that affect some people, certainly not everyone. I think maybe you have an overly pessimistic perspective on what post-sleeve life will be like -- if you hang out in forums a lot, you'll read a lot of people posting about their problems. That's human nature. They have an issue with nausea, they run to post about it. But it's pretty rare for people to sign on to the forum and start a topic, "I had no nausea today (not that I ever had any)!". Yes it's smart to be aware that some people experience some negative side effects, but that isn't everyone's story.

It all depends on you. It is hard it is not easy. I'm 3 mth post op and it took me 1 year to decide and another to do research. I was borderline everything. And I didn't want to go through all that medicine drs etc. So I made up mi mind very well. I decided that if I was going to do this it was going to be for me and for my health the looks were just a plus. And now that I am here -69 lbs.. I know I made the right choice. And the best part is I'm loving every minute of it. Because I'm getting a second chance in life.

I'm getting sleeved on Friday...yes' date=' this Friday! Maybe its just jitters...but is getting sleeved really worth the bad breath, bad BO, loss of hair, dumping, Constipation, almost pukes, full blown pukes...what else am I missing? I know the weight....but does it really and truly "outweigh" the above? Any advise, stories, pat on the back...would be welcomed. Thanks![/quote']

I'm almost 3 months out and I have lost 50 pounds. I think the weight loss is worth it. I've only had one of the symptoms you've described - bad breath - and even that wasn't for long. I can tell you that food is boring to me now. Is this a positive or negative? I don't know yet. I kind of miss the tastes, but even if I ate it, I couldn't handle very much.

Bottom line though- the weight loss is worth it!

yah, there are some who have horror stories and some who don't experience much at all. To be honest I had buyers remorse right away but that QUICKLY subsided. the heart burn went away and the "foamies" as some call it went away too, im now 3.5 mo out and 80 lbs down from surgery and I feel AMAZING. The weight loss and the feeling of getting your life back is so worth it. I'm so happy I decided to finally go through with this surgery cuz it's basically like a huge weight lifted off of me, literally... and I can experience life now like I couldn't before. You'll do great, just remember, the first few weeks are definitely the worst but it all gets better in time. Don't let it discourage you, the fight is definitely worth the prize!

It's worth it! Just follow all the rules and you will be fine.

If you're having the surgery because your fat and you don't want to be fat anymore, then yes, I think it's worth it. Isn't that enuf of a reason?

I'm getting sleeved on Friday...yes, this Friday! Maybe its just jitters...but is getting sleeved really worth the bad breath, bad BO, loss of hair, dumping, Constipation, almost pukes, full blown pukes...what else am I missing? I know the weight....but does it really and truly "outweigh" the above? Any advise, stories, pat on the back...would be welcomed. Thanks!

I almost died for the sleeve....5 months in the hospital due to complications.....Had everything go wrong that could....Now 10 months later.....

Believe me when I tell you I would do it so fast again it would make your head spin!!!!!!!!!!

I can cross my legs. I sleep through the night and am up early everyday. I can now tie my own shoes and sit in a regular chair....

My clothes are a lot smaller then i have worn for years....No one recognizes me at all, no matter where I go i have to tell them it is me...Sometimes I don't and that is entertainment for me......

I do not move the seat back in the car if I am driving. I do not need a belt extender. All my rings don't fit...And now I can wear a 16 in. chain around my neck....Was wearing a 22 in. Chain before.....

All the little things that keep happening to me were just a dream I thought! It is my turn now to have my chance to get healthy and active and be thin...I am on my way....I am not saying I am perfect...I make mistakes with the sleeve..But I away's see tomorrow as a new day...

For me it was worth all the pain, hardship and expense to be where I am today.....

Make sure you are ready for this before you jump in.....It is not for the faint of heart!

It wasn't easy, but i didn't have all those things either

I gues "is it worth it?" depends on your alternatives. For me, at 300+ pounds I was becoming disabled, looked and felt like crap. Now I feel great, and active and am told i am attractive. My health markers (blood pressure, blood suguar, labs etc) aren't just good - they are amazingly great. I am fit. Was it worth it? yeah, it really was.

Yes, I think it is worth it. I haven't had one of those issues you listed. I NEVER would have been able to lose 80+ pounds on my own...edited, because yes, I have had Hair loss, but it isn't impossible to live with. Still worth it.

Oh my gosh!! Thanks to all!! I've been a total yo-yo. When I think of the health issues I have now, and if I keep on my current path, everything will get worse...It has to be worth it and my life! Thanks again everyone! See you on the losers bench.

Oh my gosh!! Thanks to all!! I've been a total yo-yo. When I think of the health issues I have now, and if I keep on my current path, everything will get worse...It has to be worth it and my life! Thanks again everyone! See you on the losers bench.

Exactly! My health was going down the toilet too. High blood pressure and all that crap. I realized that I had to do this if I wanted to live past 45 years old. I am off BP meds, my BP is perfect.

I am down 149 pounds in 8 months, feeling better then I ever have, and I didn't have any of those problems you listed. As others have said you have to watch because you only hear about the bad things that happen to people on these forums but many many many more of us don't have any bad experiences at all. Good Luck.