Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band and autoimmune diseases

Has anybody with an autoimmune disease had this surgery?? I have Grave's disease (affects my thyroid). The surgeon did not seem to think that it would be a problem at all, but I am still going to talk to my endocrinologist on Jan. 22nd to see what he thinks about me having this surgery. I have done nothing but gain weight since I was diagnosed and treated with radioactive iodine for Grave's disease. (I had radioactive iodine which killed part of my thyroid and made me hypothyroid instead of hyperthyroid.) I am really wanting a solution to my 80 lb weight gain. :help:

Thanks!!

:help: I, too, would be interested to hear from someone on this subject as I also have a auto-immune thyroid disease-Hashimoto's. I never thought anything about it till I saw this question posted. So, anyone out there with any experience on this?

I would think that Inamed/Allergan would be able to answer that question, since they are the manufacturer of the Lapband. You can contact Don Mills (Sales Administrative Mgr) for Allergan at 800-624-4261 Ext. 4546 or email him at mills_don@allergan.com "

Hope this helps!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 1998 and have been on Synthroid to help the hypothyroidism since then. My inability to lose weight with virtually no metabolism was the main reason I got the band. I have lost 35 pounds since August, something that would have not been possible before. Not that losing weight for anyone is easy, but with the added thyroid disease, it's just that much harder.

I'm not a doctor but it's helped me finally feel I am on the right path.

PatU

I had lap surgery and the surgery brought out an auto immune disease

called pemphegus its a blistering disease of the mucous membranes and

of the skin. The trauma of the surgery caused this to come out.

Being treated with steriods and iv treatments monthly. Needless to say

the steriods dont help with the weight issues havent lost any weight in

the last 10mos. I know this really doesn't answer your questions but

thought I would give my experience with this.

Thanks for all of the replies. I had my appointment with my endocrinologist yesterday. He said that he did not think that there would be any problems because of Grave's disease. He actually thought that it would be a good idea to have it done before I develop Diabetes, high choloesterol, or heart disease.

I weigh about 245 right now and I am 5'9". He asked me what my goal weight was and I told him around 165lbs. He told me that I was being optimistic and I should not expect to lose that much. Talk about being bummed and a little angry that he wasn't a little more optimistic himself. What do you all think about him saying that? It was like he was trying to encourage me at first and then trying to discourage me later telling me that I probably won't lose much weight. Oh yeah, then right before I left, he gave me another lab sheet and told me to have my thyroid levels tested again when I lose around 30 lbs since my medications might need to be adjusted at that point. He was all over the place! Maybe he was trying to test me. I don't know...but I came out of that appt. pretty depressed.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!

My doctor, Dr. Ortiz said I can lose all the weight! But, he did say the last 10 would be hard and would take a lot of work. I just met a girl at a support group and she lost 115 in 7-8 months!!! Then she lost the next 15 with a tummy tuck!!! She did lose it all and looks fabulous! She is a happy size 3 now.

So, yes it can be done and I plan on being one of them too!

Don't be discouraged!!

I have chronic fatigue and fibrolmalgia. During this onset I had my thyroid stop working, developed shingles, and other autoimmunue failures, including prenecious anemia.

I was scared to have the surgery because I was afraid that my body would reject the band. I came out of surgery with more energy and have never looked back. Its 7 months and counting. I had a easy recovery and was back to work from home that afternoon. I worked home for 4 days and then into the office I went. It has been great for me.

You can't let down your guard. Take all your meds and preserve your energy. I am finding I feel much better since the surgery and the weight loss has really helped.

Good luck

I have some autoimmune issues (narcolepsy and fibromyalgia). I was told that it should be ok. Weight loss can be a big struggle for a lot of narcoleptics and many have lost weight with some sort of surgery. My biggest concern was making sure that this was just restrictive and wouldn't be malabsortive at all since I know I am going to have to be on meds for various issues. So the surgeon assured me that I can take the pills and not have the band affect their digestion.

I have fibromyalgia. My doctor said he had patients w/fibromyalgia that got better. I had the surgery 2 months ago and haven't had as much pain/"bad days" as I have had. I am excersizing more, which helps fibro. so I think it is a combonation of weight loss and excersize. The only thing is that I can not take anti-inflamatory drugs because they cause a higher risk of erosion. I can live with that though for the benefits of the surgery.