Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux & the Sleeve

Hi,

I had reflux 2 yrs ago &, was treated with Nexium.

Since that time I have only had very sporadic episodes of food repeating on me.

Question is: will the sleeve be out of the question for me? Has anyone else had reflux in the past and was still able to have VST? Or were you redirected to Bypass?

I guess I don't understand why I wouldn't be a candidate. Its it because the reflux poses a danger to the remaining, stomach?

I have reflux and my surgeon still let me have the sleeve. He has me taking omeprazole twice a day and is hopeful that once the weight is off my reflux won't be an issue anymore.

Have you talked to your surgeon about this? Did he/she tell you this? I had minor issues with it in the past, but as soon as I dropped weight (20lbs) on my own, it went away. Do you by chance have a hiatal hernia as well, or are you not sure yet? Have you had an endoscopy yet?

I don't see that you wouldn't be a candidate because we have to take acid blockers after the surgery anyway to prevent it. Some ppl don't develop acid reflux until after the VSG. I'm perplexed. :mellow:

I had reflux before the sleeve and although my doc did cation me that it might get worse he was ok with doing the sleeve. It first it didn't seem any different but I am 3 months out now and sadly it did get worse. However, I am down 42lbs which I never could have done on my own so I'll take the trade off with the reflux. My have upped my reflux meds, it would be nice if as I lose weight it would go away.

I had pretty severe reflux / GERD pre-op (omeprazole twice daily was controlling it) My Dr. had no issue with performing the sleeve on me. In fact, it helped me qualify for insurance covering the surgery as a co-morbidity. Post-op, it's really improved. My Dr. also found a hiatal hernia when he was performing the sleeve and went ahead and repaired it. I think that's helped improve the reflux as well. I don't see it being an issue for you.

I have been on Nexium for reflux for about 15-20 years, so long that I forget. That is scary! I believe I have had about 13 Endoscopy's for the reflux. My reflux started in my 30's, I wasn't that over weight, just a high acid content in my stomach. I researched and researched: gastric sleeve vs. Bypass. I really wasn't to excited about a Gastric Bypass but everything pointed to it because of Reflux. I discussed it with my Dr. and she still thought the Sleeve was the way to go. I am still on the Nexium but hope to get off of it in 6 mths. I am only out 3 weeks today and down 25lbs. I have been one of the lucky ones so far. No issues. I had a very large hiatal hernia so that was fixed. I hope that will help with the reflux. My Dr. also said, they can do the Bypass after a sleeve if the Reflux is unbearable. I hope that wont be needed. Good luck. :)

I had sever acid reflux before the surgery, but my main concern was being able to take my anti-depressants so my doctor agreed the sleeve was best for me I was so happy I didn't want the gastric bypass. After surgery I did experience sever reflux which went away 1 month after surgery so it's pretty normal to still experience it ^_^

I'm hoping by pushing this thread some more people will respond with how they managed severe reflux.

I had reflux before being sleeved and was on Nexium 40mg. Immediately after I was able to drop to 20mg but now at nearly 5.5 months out I feel my insides are being ripped out. I'm back on 40mg plus topping up with OTC meds like Zantac. My throat is really sore and I'm coughing a lot. I can't lay flat anymore.

Has anyone had this happen? And if so, were you able to get it back under control? With prescription meds or naturally???

Susan, I'm starting to get the acid burn, too and would love some advice on how people manage it post op. I used to get acid reflux, but only when I ate fatty foods and laid down pretty quickly afterwards. This coming on last night and continuing on today, 4 days after surgery knocked me for six. Particularly as the drugs they've given me are rubbish. I woke up last night and it felt like I had molten lava crawling its way up into my throat. Maybe I should have tried to vomit it up, but didn't want to jerk my sleeve around. Didn't really know what to do. To all you GERD vets out there, any advice would be greatly appreciated x

I've suffered with severe reflux for years prior to the sleeve. I was taking Protonix and my regular doctor wanted me to have an endoscopy a couple years ago but I was too scared of the procedure. When I was discussing the surgery with my surgeon, he warned me that the sleeve may make my reflux worse, they usually recommend bypass for patients with severe reflux. But I have other health reasons why the bypass wasn't the best option. He was fine with doing the sleeve. However, I had to get an endoscopy first because he thought I may have a hiatial hernia (apparently that can cause a reflux problem). I did have a large hernia and he repaired it during the sleeve. I'm 4 1/2 months out and haven't been taking any meds for it - no reflux. But just recently I started having issues if I eat anything even a little spicy. I also had a problem the other night when I had some wine before bed. I woke up 3 times with acid coming up my throat. I've been using Pepcid Complete as needed for mild heartburn but it's not helping now. So I'm thinking I may have to go back on some meds. This is really a bummer :unsure: . I would also like to hear from others who's reflux came back after a while.

Hello everyone.

I'm three years out and my reflux is getting worse. Surprise to read people on relux meds for years. I truly don't remember being advised it could potentially get worse. My doctor now recommends the bypass. I hate taking pills and I'm bad with my Vitamins. I hate to get the bypass and the get sick due to no Vitamins :(

My tests (blood work) always come back normal. Not sure what to do next. Signed --- perplexed :(

I feel for you, Nene. Is there a pattern to your reflux? i.e, does it come on after you eat specific things?

Being told I had to get a bypass would break my heart... Is there no other option for you? x

Thanks, I don't do spicy foods at all. The worse symptoms happen at night and I take protonix. Then, in the morning it really hasn't gotten any better. I take another med within 8 hrs.

I hope I find a solution soon.

Susan' date=' I'm starting to get the acid burn, too and would love some advice on how people manage it post op. I used to get acid reflux, but only when I ate fatty foods and laid down pretty quickly afterwards. This coming on last night and continuing on today, 4 days after surgery knocked me for six. Particularly as the drugs they've given me are rubbish. I woke up last night and it felt like I had molten lava crawling its way up into my throat. Maybe I should have tried to vomit it up, but didn't want to jerk my sleeve around. Didn't really know what to do. To all you GERD vets out there, any advice would be greatly appreciated x[/quote']

Sorry to hear you are suffering.

I doubled my Nexium to 80mg (40mg morn and just before bed) and topped up with Tums, and throat losenges for my v sore throat. Propped myself up in bed with a few pillows and it all seemed to help a bit. I had to wait a few days to see the dr and in that time it got a lot better - I am not aware of anything I did differently to cause it but am now back to 40mg Nexium only in the mornings with slight symptoms from time to time through the day. It went far quicker than it came and I'm baffled.

In the end sick child stopped me from seeing the dr (and I was feeling so much better I didn't fight it). Sorry I can't be more help.

I think I'm going to take your advice re: doubling up doses, not eat/drink anything with flavour late at night, sit up straight more and wait to see the quack on Monday.

Fingers crossed they'll give me something more effective.....

I'm so scared this will become the norm... :(