Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for you seasoned sleevers

Hi everyone! As my surgery date nears, I am gearing up for sleeved life. This includes, among other things, buying lots of new stuff! My husband thinks I'm going overboard, but I've read that each thing on my list will make post-op life so much easier. And so I'm here to ask all of you veterans for your opinions. Do I really need all of this stuff? Am I truly going a little nutso in my prepping? Is there anything you would add (to my husbands demise!) to this list?

Body pillow (for sleeping)

Tummy pillow (for support after surgery)

Mug warmer

4oz Containers

Appetizer spoons/forks

Blender bottles

Water bottles

Anti-itch cream (incision sights)

Mederma cream (scars)

Anti-bac soap

Bento-style lunch kit

Wet wipes

GasX Strips

liquid Tylenol

food scale

Mini plates

Protein powders galore

Vitamin organizer

Exercise bands (stretchy ones)

Fitbit tracker

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Hi! When's your surgery going to be? Mine is October 2nd, only a month and a half away and I'm excited! Don't forget to add chapstick to your hospital bag. From what I've read, it's the most important thing people forget

Thanks, ill add that!! My surgery is September 11th. I have my pre-op appt this Friday and start liquid diet next Monday! It's happening so fast!

This post fits better on one of the main forums, this is the veterans forum and intended for topics for people who are well out from surgery.

This post fits better on one of the main forums' date=' this is the veterans forum and intended for topics for people who are well out from surgery.[/quote']

I was seeking responses for veteran sleevers whether or not you guys found these items helpful after surgery. I will post my question elsewhere.

I bought them all except the pillows. And used most of them. Watch the Protein powders, you may spend a lot of money and hate them. Try samples first.... Or just drink them if you don't like them... like medicine!

I didn't use 3/4 of the items u listed. I just took me and my clothes to the hospital. The hospital provided the morphine. :P

I didn't use 3/4 of the items u listed. I just took me and my clothes to the hospital. The hospital provided the morphine. :P

Good to know! Thank you :)

Hi everyone! As my surgery date nears' date=' I am gearing up for sleeved life. This includes, among other things, buying lots of new stuff! My husband thinks I'm going overboard, but I've read that each thing on my list will make post-op life so much easier. And so I'm here to ask all of you veterans for your opinions. Do I really need all of this stuff? Am I truly going a little nutso in my prepping? Is there anything you would add (to my husbands demise!) to this list?

Body pillow (for sleeping)

Tummy pillow (for support after surgery)

Mug warmer

4oz Containers

Appetizer spoons/forks

Blender bottles

Water bottles

Anti-itch cream (incision sights)

Mederma cream (scars)

Anti-bac soap

Bento-style lunch kit

Wet wipes

GasX Strips

liquid Tylenol

food scale

Mini plates

Protein powders galore

Vitamin organizer

Exercise bands (stretchy ones)

Fitbit tracker

Thanks in advance for your responses![/quote']

I didn't get most of these things, I found my pillows comfortable enough although I did have to sleep on my back for the first month which was unusual for me. What's a mug warmer?? Doesn't the mug get warm from the hot drink you put in there?

The containers are a good idea if you take lunch to work. It's good to have the small ones so you don't over eat.

I tried to find a baby spoon for me to use in the beginning but I never ended up buying one and used a tea spoon instead.

I did have the liquid pain killers, Vitamin organizer and Protein powders but that's about it.

Kitchen scales, Water bottles and mini plates are a great idea though (I just used the bread plates we had at home which are half the size of dinner plates)

Good luck!!!!!! Get what you think will make you more comfortable :)

Thanks, Beth! A mug warmer is a little hot plate that keeps a cup of coffee (or a saucer of food) warm for a while.

SLF1027....you should contact the moderators and ask them to move this thread to the post op section. You'll get alot more responses there, and that is the appropriate place for this thread.

I took clothes to the hospital and my Kindle to read. I didn't need anything else at the hospital, and my hospital provided the belly pillow, which was awesome immediately after the operation.

Some of the things you mention, I eventually bought but I didn't need them right away.

Body pillow (for sleeping) -- no, I never used one.

Tummy pillow (for support after surgery) -- hospital provided one.

Mug warmer -- haven't used one. If my coffee gets cold, I don't want it anymore.

4oz Containers -- I eventually bought very small dishes, but I didn't need them for a while.

Appetizer spoons/forks -- No. I use regular sized silverware.

Blender bottles -- I have one, and I used it frequently at first. I rarely use it now, and I don't need more than one.

Water bottles -- I love the refillable Water bottles. I have several, but I tend to use my favorite one.

Anti-itch cream (incision sights) -- I didn't need this.

Mederma cream (scars) -- I didn't use this, and my scars look fine/faded.

Anti-bac soap -- I think I had to have this for the night before surgery.

Bento-style lunch kit -- I have one. I rarely use it.

Wet wipes -- I have these, but it has nothing to do with surgery.

GasX Strips -- No, I didn't use them, but I know a lot of people swear by them.

Liquid Tylenol -- No, I didn't use it.

Food scale -- I bought one eventually. It was when I started eating normal foods because it made it easier for me to figure out how much I was eating. I didn't need it when I was eating prepackaged stuff (protein bars and Protein shakes).

Mini plates -- I use the salad-size plate that came with my set of dishes. I didn't need to buy special ones.

Protein powders galore -- Don't invest in large containers until you know you like it.

Vitamin organizer -- No. I took a multi Vitamin, Biotin and Iron, and I just kept them in their original bottles.

Exercise bands (stretchy ones) -- I have one, but I rarely use it.

Fitbit tracker -- I have a watch that will tell me the calories I burn, but I don't have a fitbit, and I am two years out. I don't need that much information.

What I did buy eventually for working out -- an exercise ball, hand weights (2 and 5 pounds), and exercise DVDs that I can use at home. Personally, I like Zumba and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. My next investment will be kettle balls.

I highly recommend that you not buy a bunch of stuff initially because you don't know what you will like/want/use. It doesn't all have to be there right away.

SLF1027....you should contact the moderators and ask them to move this thread to the post op section. You'll get alot more responses there' date=' and that is the appropriate place for this thread.[/quote']

Thanks!! Had no idea that was even possible.