Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to work around not telling everyone about VSG?!

Had lap band in '06 and was fairly open to telling people I had a WLS. If someone asked me what I've been doing to lose weight etc I almost always was 100% honest with them about my surgery (I lost 75lbs) Now here I am 80lbs heavier with the band removed 7 months ago and I'm going to have the sleeve and I just feel this time I'm more reserved, quiet about it. Ill be having surgery in Sept. and how do u avoid letting people know?? I mean just with the pre op and post op diet alone all my in laws will know something is up! How do you side step comments, get out of social events etc when you're not shouting it from the rooftops?!

Personally, the only person that knows about my surgery is my husband. My mother nor children know. I didn't want to hear speeches or make small talk around it. My mind was made up. I have told people that I had a hernia repaired. That would help to explain the stomach pain and loss of appetite. They go' oh ok then'....end of conversation.

Sent from my i-tab using VST

even just the social stuff immediately after surgery is hard---wish I could be a hermit for six weeks...trying to come up with reasons why I'm not bowling, swimming, eating---it is a pain, and the list just seems to go on and on......and I'm not 2 weeks out yet.....

A friend wants to get together for lunch....and I'm on full liquids......so I've told her I'm on a liquid Protein diet for a few weeks......it would be so much easier to be open about this, but I prefer to keep it private.....Good luck!

You're doing a good job so far, I am in the same boat. A friend asked me out for lunch tomorrow, I'm just going to tell her that I had to have hiatal hernia surgery and have to stick to a strict diet for a while. It's realy no one's business what you do. Good luck to you!

I told people that I had a repair done to my stomach to remove scar tissue from an ulcer....they bought it, even seasoned nurses bought it....The reason I had to come up with something like that is because I spent 5 months in hospital due to complications with my sleeve...

I had planned not to tell a soul..But I couldn't do that....Anyway...only a few people know what really happened and so now I tell people that my stomach is still healing and so that is why I am losing weight....lol..

I did have repairs done, but it was after the surgery...so it wasn't a lie....just skipped the first part.....

I told no one...I tell people I am doing WW and having success for the billionith time & hitting the gym. My health is my business is how I see it. I try to change the subject when diet & weight are brought up by anyone, too. People can be mean, intentionally & unintentionally. Good luck!

I tell everyone, everything. Secrecy and shame are binge triggers for me so i decided to make my journey public. So far it has paid off. My support system is huge and i can avoid making excuses. I could never keep this a secret. Good luck all!

I don't know if I want to tell or not. My mother, boyfriend, and three closes friends know. But if they weight falls off what am I going to tell people? I don't mind being honest about it. What scares me the most is if I tell someone (some people can be very rude and gossipy) and they make it sound like a bad thing? I have always been big and worked hard on being invisible. I never really stood up for myself. Can I do that now? I know that this is just a tool and a tool I want. But others might not see it like that. How so I handle the opposition when I've never had to really face it before and instead turned the other way?

Personally' date=' the only person that knows about my surgery is my husband. My mother nor children know. I didn't want to hear speeches or make small talk around it. My mind was made up. I have told people that I had a hernia repaired. That would help to explain the stomach pain and loss of appetite. They go' oh ok then'....end of conversation.

Sent from my i-tab using VST[/quote']

LoL! Me too. Only my husband knows everyone else hernia surgery.

My New Journey 2013