Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need encouragement :(

Just got back from pre op visit. Surgery is tomorrow at 10. Getting really nervous. Today included a Bariatric boot camp and most of what was ducussed was the pain after surgery. Really scary. Also was told that they would place a tube in my stomach the size of a GARDEN HOSE to use as a guide when cutting away the extra stomach. Kind of freaked out. Talk to me, guys.

Garden hose.....now that is a little extreme...lol....Most people have minimal discomfort with this surgery....They are doing it with only 4 or 5 little incisions..No huge scares on your stomach...

It is okay to be nervous...it is a big deal...but so is getting your wisdom teeth out....All surgery is a risk....All surgery is uncomfortable.....Look at your future and remember who you are striving to become and the sleeve is the tool you have chosen to assist you on your incredible journey......

You can do this.....Go! :)

Not kidding about the garden hose. That's what the pre op nurse actually said. Have you guys already been sleeved? How was it for you?

Just got back from pre op visit. Surgery is tomorrow at 10. Getting really nervous. Today included a Bariatric boot camp and most of what was ducussed was the pain after surgery. Really scary. Also was told that they would place a tube in my stomach the size of a GARDEN HOSE to use as a guide when cutting away the extra stomach. Kind of freaked out. Talk to me, guys.

Try to focus on all the great things afterwards, like being healthy & happy ! I will join you tomorrow, mine is at 1pm :)

I don't have any memory of a garden hose? All I know is 9 months post-op, I look and feel 100 times better than I did before surgery (with or without the garden hose).

Not kidding about the garden hose. That's what the pre op nurse actually said. Have you guys already been sleeved? How was it for you?

Yes I've been sleeved and the worst part of the surgery was the two-week liquid only preop diet before it.

When I woke up from surgery I had discomfort from a gas pain that didn't want to go away. They offered me pain meds, I took them, and by the time they wheeled me to my room I was laughing and joking with people. Within an hour i was doing my first lap around the nurses' station. After a day or so that discomfort turned into soreness that felt like i had done too many situps the day before.

I had surgery September 26, 2012 and have lost 75 lbs so far. I had no problems but I know it is possible to have complications.

I had a little bit of breathing problems right out of surgery but only until the anesthesia wore off. They kept telling me to breath and the machine went off and eventually they gave me oxygen. It probably wasn't long that they waited, it's hard to judge time when you're under anesthesia. After that it was smooth sailing.

Don't let ANYONE freak you out at this juncture. You have made a decision to do this. You thought long and hard about it before you made your decision (or at least I assume you did). Once you do that (i.e., do your research and make your decision), it's time to just stick with it and block out anything negative. It does NO good. I freaked out about the catheter and the drain and then remembered -- I'll be knocked out - I'm not going to give a darn. By the time I know I have these, I'll be on the other end of surgery! I have no clue why they give you all these gory details so late in the game - the day before surgery is no time to be re-thinking your well-reasoned decision!

You'll do great! Keep us posted!

-Angela

you will be asleep! you won't know anything they are doing. it'll be ok! the day of and the day after surgery i was sore and it hurt to bend over, but i was out walking the floors. i had iv pain meds the first two days and then i had liquid pain meds that i took for about 3 days after coming home. that's it. it's not half as scary or painful as you think it's going to be. you can do this!!

I am one year post op and had very minimal pain...more discomfort really. The best thing you can do is WALK WALK WALK! it helps the gas (they use during surgery) break up and release. Dont get discourages...you CAN do this!!! This is a huige stepping stone to a much healthier and happier life! My only regret was not doing it sooner. Scaring is very minimal, a few small lines. If i can help with anything else...chit chat, encouragement, questions...please dont hesitate to message me :)

Good Luck, You'll do great!!!

I was just sleeved on 7/15 and the biggest issues I had post-op were a large hematoma under one of my incisions (it looked really bad but was just tender and sore, not painful) and some discomfort from where my drain was sitting on my diaphragm (it went away once it was removed). I did have some gas pains from the gas used during surgery, and walked my little tail off in the hospital, but it didn't help as much as I hoped and ended up taking about a week for me to get rid of that gas. Other than that, I have done fine; I'm 3.5 weeks out from surgery and am able to eat small amounts of soft solids and am drinking between 48 and 64 oz. of Water per day (although for the first few weeks I needed to add some Crystal Light liquid drops to the water to get it down). You will do just fine and have a smooth, safe surgery! :)

Mine is tomorrow too . Can someone tell me what is the most important fluids to get down the first 2 days? Just Water, or something with Protein in it?

I was sleeved on Monday. To be quite honest, I don't remember much about Monday, other then I was very persistent in walking up and down my hall. The gas pain is there, but it's not agonizing. It's day three for me, and I'm feeling a little sore. I promise you can handle this surgery.