Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stories we tell...how do you not "lie" without saying you had WLS?

I'm interested in some of the tales told by those who have had WLS to those who don't really need to know your business. There Are some people I don't mind sharing the truth, but then there are others that would only judge if they knew. Any stories that aren't really "lying". How do you explain the strict diet afterwards? Etc. Thanks in advance.

Also appreciated any generally guidance dealing with questions by people afterwards .

When someone asks how I'm loosing so much weight I just tell them I stopped drinking soda, watch my carbs and I cut my portion size way down. It's the truth so I'm not lying plus I don't feel my medical history is anyone's business.

Yeah, I think it's personal preference really. I tell anyone, I am very proud that I was brave enough to do this and am taking control. I figure people judge you no matter what you do, so rather than them judging me for being heavy, let them judge me for doing something about it. If I really didn't want to tell someone, I probably would just say, "The Old Fashioned Way........A LOT of work!" Grins.......

Just tell them what you are doing but leave out the surgery part. You can call it the "Eat like you've had bariatric surgery" diet.

If they ask you how you lost your weight and you want to put them on a bit tell them you haven't lost any weight, you are just testing out a prototype of a partial cloaking device.

There are a group of my friends and most of my family that know Ive had surgery but for those who dont know and ask I usually say Portion Control and that I eat several little meals throughout the day, stay away from carbs, lean Protein, fruits/veggies, lots of Water and excersize. Not lying because thats exactly what I do.

If they ask you how you lost your weight and you want to put them on a bit tell them you haven't lost any weight, you are just testing out a prototype of a partial cloaking device.

When I get to that point, I may try this.....too funny LOL

I tell them that I am just eating less and exercising more. Very few people know and I like to keep it that way.

I too have told people now I am dieting so that way after my surgery on 8/6 they may not think anything. I told my family, but due to the fact I do not appear overwheight my friends will never undertsand. I know when we go out next and I do not drink and grab the nachos they will think I am crazy !!

I tell the world (at least the world that asks me). My friend decided not to tell. She just told everyone she was watching what she ate, ate low carb, and works out 6 days a week. It is what she did/does so no one questioned that.

I have kind of wondered this too. I have told people close to me, and plan on letting others who know me well post surgery. I will be going into a pretty intensive clinical rotation about 5 weeks post surgery and it will last for 10 weeks. I will be working with the same nurse through the whole clinical rotation. All but the last 2-3 weeks of it I will be on a "fork soft diet" so I kind of wonder what kind of questions or strange looks I might get. However knowing me, I will probably just tell them.

Portion Control, counting calories, high Protein, balanced diet, and working with nutritionist.

All true. They just don't need to know about surgery.

I've noticed acquaintances aren't rude enough to ask. My weight loss struggles are a private matter & I'm not afraid to tell the first person I barely know that exact thing. Thankfully I haven't had to. I hate to lie more than sharing my story though. I've been open & honest with friends & family. More so since its over & done with. I shared my plans prior to surgery with two "friends" & 1 was upset I was willing to risk my life for something I could do with diet & exercise & the other felt the need to educate me on the necessity of having arm reduction & a Tummy Tuck after I lose all the weight. That made me stop sharing my desire to have surgery prior to getting it done. I only spoke to veterans after that. Good luck! Acquaintances are only complimentary so far.

I don't tell tales. I don't lie about it. Not telling people you had surgery is not a lie. If people ask me how I am losing weight, I tell them. "I'm working very hard at it." True. If pressed, "I eliminated all proccesed carbs and eating clean and I change the subject." Again, true. When asked how much I have lost, (and this still boggles my mind how people would ask such a personal question) I tell them "a bunch." True yet again. That is the end of my good graces. Any further questions on how and how much are met with "you sure are asking a lot of personal questions, any real reason why?" When they are floored and stammer something to the effect of "well, I was just curious" I simply answer, "yes, I can see that." Subject is closed.

I have never discussed my medical history, including my weight with anyone and don't intend to now. It's just highly personal for me. I don't understand why people feel compelled to answer any and every question put them till the asker is happy with the amount of information requested.

Just because you are asked a question, does not mean you must answer it. If you want to keep it to yourself or chosen people, do so without guilt. It is your life and you need to do whatever you feel will help you succeed.

Good luck, you will do great!

If I don't want to talk about surgery and someone is giving me a compliment, I just say thank you and move quickly onto other subjects. If they are hard core asking about "how" I did it, I usually say Portion Control, monitor my intake, lots of water/exercise. The usual answers. :) That way I'm not actually lying. They would have to out and out ASK me if I had surgery AND I would have to say NO for me to consider it lying.

I've been thinking about what to tell my social circle as well! I'm totally going to be "lying" to my friends as well. All my friends can eat like horse but remain slim- so its going to be difficult to explain the surgery to them. And the last thing I need or want right now is to explain myself to them

I've decided that my explanation is going to be the similar to what others have mentioned- Portion Control, clean eating, etc, but I'm planning to frame it as just another diet.

Something like "Well, I've tried every other diet in the book- now I'm trying out the portion control diet. Who knows if it'll even work?" (while secretly knowing that it'll totally work...hahaaa)

I have a history of trying out every diet that's ever been written about - so anyone who knows me won't be too shocked. I also figure most people are too self-involved to keep questioning me (well-i hope that's the case)