Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone gotten a leak a week or two post op?? If so what are rye signs you might have one?? I'm really paranoid about if and would like to know how I would be feeling if I did. I know weird question.

Symptoms of stomach leak include: rapid heart rate, dizziness, shortness of breath, fever, worsening abdominal pain, left chest or shoulder pain, abdominal distention, the appearance of illness and a general feeling that something is very wrong. Unfortunately, many of the symptoms may be absent or could be from something else (e.g. bleeding). Diagnosing a leak is further complicated by the fact that there is no single, reliable test to definitely diagnose a leak.

The diagnosis of a leak must be clinical, that is, the surgeon must consider all symptoms in relation to the timing after surgery. The diagnosis can never be 100% sure before treatment.

'Tis rare, about 1 in 100, and the "leak test" while in the hospital will help rule a leak out.

anyone gotten a leak a week or two post op??

flyme_places

me/many others are/were afraid of having a leak :angry:

especially in the early time period after you've been sleeved :angry:

these worries/concerns/thoughts are understandable to have

just having WLS (or any surgery) you might be afraid of the "what ifs"

we/most hear horror stories about people getting leaks

sometimes we/they might be overly concerned over a pain/ache or something and be worried that they did get a leak :angry:

the symptoms/info that art gave were good, and the 1 in 100 chance that you might have a leak :angry:

anything a medical person here says (or anyone else here) is informative and helpful

but should not be the official FINAL word

people here can help with advice - but the final word for any medical problem should come from the doc

call the office - the doc should help you, and the NUT too :)

thats what you/insurance paid them for!!!!

doc will check things out

if there is a prob - you will start to get treatment

calling to talk w/your surgeon/NUT will probably give you piece of mind :)

after all is said and done - hopefully/probably all is well :)

but...........always look out for you - check it out!!!!

good luck

kathy

I thought for sure I had a leak about 6 days post op. My left shoulder started hurting really badly, my bp was 180/110, and I started having really weird muscles things happening. Like my face contorted, my fingers were contracted and I couldn't relax any of my muscles. I called my RN on a Sunday nite and she assured me that about 95% of all leaks happen withint the first 2-3 days and since my temp was 98.1, I was good. Well after geting off the phone with her, my muscles started cramping even more, I couldn't even keep control of my face - it was all squinty. Hubby took me to the ER, convinced I had a leak and my dr is 3 hrs away.

They diagnoses me withint the first 3 minutes with a side effect of Reglan, a med that my dr gave me for my stomach. The ER dr has seen it before and pretty much guessed that I was taking it. Within the first 1 minute after giving me Benadryl in my IV, I was immediately relieved and could relax.

When I called my nurse at 11 pm to tell her what happened, she had never heard of this before. And they regularly give Reglan out to all post op patients for 1 week. Thats weird to me. That the ER knew exactly what it was and she had never heard of it. hmmm...

You can read the horror stories of leaks on this board but the truth is that they're very rare. My dr has done more than 3,500 sleeves and has had 2 leaks, both found at the leak test 1 day post op. Post op healing takes time and it does hurt MOST people. I'm just starting to feel normal and it's been 2 weeks.

Good luck!

I had a lot of the leak symptoms at 2 weeks or so out. Turns out it was just gastritis, and was easily treated. :)

My roommate from the hospital had a small pinhole leak diagnosed at 3 weeks.

I thought for sure I had a leak about 6 days post op. My left shoulder started hurting really badly' date=' my bp was 180/110, and I started having really weird muscles things happening. Like my face contorted, my fingers were contracted and I couldn't relax any of my muscles. I called my RN on a Sunday nite and she assured me that about 95% of all leaks happen withint the first 2-3 days and since my temp was 98.1, I was good. Well after geting off the phone with her, my muscles started cramping even more, I couldn't even keep control of my face - it was all squinty. Hubby took me to the ER, convinced I had a leak and my dr is 3 hrs away.

They diagnoses me withint the first 3 minutes with a side effect of Reglan, a med that my dr gave me for my stomach. The ER dr has seen it before and pretty much guessed that I was taking it. Within the first 1 minute after giving me Benadryl in my IV, I was immediately relieved and could relax.

When I called my nurse at 11 pm to tell her what happened, she had never heard of this before. And they regularly give Reglan out to all post op patients for 1 week. Thats weird to me. That the ER knew exactly what it was and she had never heard of it. hmmm...

You can read the horror stories of leaks on this board but the truth is that they're very rare. My dr has done more than 3,500 sleeves and has had 2 leaks, both found at the leak test 1 day post op. Post op healing takes time and it does hurt MOST people. I'm just starting to feel normal and it's been 2 weeks.

Good luck![/quote']

I am preop still...but I read your post about Reglan...a few years ago, I had stomach pain due to my gallbladder..an er doc sent me home with Reglan...it was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me...I had muscle cramps and my hands and feet wouldn't stop moving..like Parkinson's reaction..I went all night until it wore off..the nurse at my reg doc never heard of this but it is very common..it is an anti-nasseau med...I made sure it is in my record not to give it to me for surgery or post-surgery.

I am preop still...but I read your post about Reglan...a few years ago, I had stomach pain due to my gallbladder..an er doc sent me home with Reglan...it was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me...I had muscle cramps and my hands and feet wouldn't stop moving..like Parkinson's reaction..I went all night until it wore off..the nurse at my reg doc never heard of this but it is very common..it is an anti-nasseau med...I made sure it is in my record not to give it to me for surgery or post-surgery.

Wow. Scary, huh? I thought they were gunna tell me it was all in my head, like I was having a panic attack or something. I started thinking I was having a stroke on the way to the ER.

Never, ever had a medication reaction like that before...