Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SO SCARED-advice on severe acid reflux!---

Trust me - there have been emergent situations where a slipped band has to be addressed IMMEDIATELY.

Generally this would be after an episode of violent throwing up.

Monica from the Karma Lounge had to have her band removed emergently due to vomiting from food poisoning. Her stomach torqued and twisted like a wet towel, and the blood circulation was being cut off.

These kind of emergency situations do not happen often, but they CAN. And if you become obstructed and blood flow is cut off, trust me, it is an EMERGENCY to get that fixed.

If there is no vomiting involved, and the patient can get down and keep down fluids, the slip does not have to be repaired emergently unless they are in a lot of pain, or are in danger of aspiration pneumonia due to reflux. It all depends on the individual's situation, the severity of the slip, and the severity of symptoms.

Yep. I've heard several stories of folks winding up in the ER absolutely unable to swallow even Water. Those people were not able to be re-banded right away. Their bands were taken out immediately.

My band slippage was very silent. Except for reflux at night. However, when my insurance dragged their heels about paying for a subsequent surgery - my doctor informed me that that might be okay for now, but he basically promised me that I would eventually wind up in the ER in pain and vomiting and if the circulation had been cut off to my stomach, I could possibly lose part of my stomach! This was definitely not somewhere I felt like taking the chance on going.

All I know is it's each person's choice. If you've had a warning and you make that choice then I suppose you've decided to deal with the consequences, whatever they may be. :)

That being said. I have also heard of many instances where the people allowed their bands to be un-filled for a period of time and the band successfully slipped back into place. Then they were able to move on with their weight-loss. It is a scary feeling - not having restriction. I just knew I would be out of control, but I maintained much better than I thought I would be able to.

I guess what I am basically so FREAKED about, is the fact that my doc told me that if I unfill it, and it doesnt heal, he will do re-surgery instead of just re-filling it and letting me try to live with it. I am going away for a couple weeks, I think I will be very cautious, and wait till I return (so he doesnt think I am COMPLETELY mental)....to call him back and ask him if I take out Fluid and it doesnt slip back, will he be willing just to replace at least SOME of the fluid. I dont think I should be opened up, when I can try to go on with it like this and it could be ok.

I am really losing sleep and making myself sick about it....I have to take a mental break....:)

thank you guys for all your widom

Would you please take the time to read Texasbelle's post "Need answers please"? Is this what you're willing to risk because you won't act responsibly? You can get advice here until you're blue in the face. But the bottom line is that you are the only one who can make your own health decisions. We are banded patients, not drs. I hope that you will take care of yourself SOON. Your family needs you here, not six feet under.

I am with you marie, I think mbz is acting irresponsibly too and should follow her doctors advice. They are trained! I am a little nervous of getting my first small fill whenever I need one, I would never go in and demand a monsterous sized fill. My band only holds 4 cc's I think. I was always told to get fills as needed so you don't overly stress your system or run out of fill room before goal. Evidently mbz thinks she is smarter than the doctors. Hope it all works out for you and you don't cause any irrepairable damage to your system mbz. Good luck to you, Teresa

just an aside...

mbz--you have lost 80 pounds in no more than 24 weeks, an average of over three and a third pounds per week. The suggested ideal loss for 24 weeks would be more like 50 pounds. This suggests to me that you may have been very tightly filled for the entire time.

Donali's analysis is logical. Is your doctor very experienced with the LapBand? I ask that because of his response to your situation (I'll leave it alone OR empty it, but if emptying it doesn't work you need surgery?) AND because it sounds like you think he's going to let you dictate how much of a fill you have...and the more experienced doctors tend to go with more objective measurements (flouroscopy, swallow tests, that kind of thing) of how much is "enough."

Weighing 160 must be wonderful. I sure wish I did. Some day I may get back there. But I also just spent an extra ten days in the hospital due to complications from my plastic surgery. It ain't fun. Perhaps you need a second opinion?

MBZ, I agree with everyone here (which is no surprise, I'm sure). What is the worst thing that can happen? Losing your band? Gaining some weight back? NO!

The worst thing that can happen is a serious complication necessitating emergency surgery. From that point all bets are off. Why take chances???

Take it one step at a time and go for the complete unfill RIGHT NOW. You can see what the next step will be after that. You are playing with fire and it's your health and well-being at stake, not just your thin figure.

PLEASE get this taken care of!!

wow guys I feel like I'm being screamed at. The doctor did not seem too concerned about this whole thing, I think I was more so...

First of all, it took me OVER A YEAR to lose my weight. ARE YOU NOT READING? I have worked long and hard at this. Secondly, I asked the doc to put in a little more than usual, and he TOLD ME IT WAS OK because he seemed to think I had a LARGER THAN NORMAL OPENING to begin with. So for me, having an unfilled band was almost like NOT HAVING ONE AT ALL>....

A lot of you seem to have restriction with no fill. THats really great, but I DO NOT.

I had an unfilled band for the first 3 MONTHS.

My doctors have done huge amounts of bands. I was naive at my first fill, but the doc was fine with it. It was under fluoroscopy. I did several barium swallows. Maybe it was the DOC who should hav etold me to put less in?....I had no idea back then. Plus, I was not even told to go on a liquid diet after the fill. Imagine how I limped along. The doc does not seem to be overly concerned about me trying to get along with this, so I am eating mostly liquids for now.

The first thing he said at the fill was: "WELL, YOUR BAND LOOKS LIKE IT IS IN A GOOD POSITION." (Notice the quotes). Then, when I turned to my side, thats when he said he noticed the slight slip....

The reason I will not go back right away is:

1. they only do fills like once a month.

2. I am going on vacation.

3. The MAIN reason_I will go back and get it unfilled for a while,,but only if he agrees to put more fill in and not operate if it doesnt correct.

I would rather eat liquids my whole life.

I'm feel upset about writing....dont know if I should come back, it just upsets me more every time.

Mbz, please don't feel attacked, we're just concerned. From the way your posts read it sure sounded to me at least like you were choosing a situation that might be dangerous over a situation that might just be inconvenient. If your doctors feel there is no danger then that's who you should listen to.

Perhaps we've been oversensitized recently because of the several reports of problems that have come up. The worst thing is to catch a problem too late, so you'll have to forgive us if we're recommending a level of caution that may seem extreme to you. Many of the stories I've read of problems start out with "I had this little issue and thought it was nothing, but..."

Please keep us posted. I hope your issues resolve on their own and that you remain healthy, happy, and slender. :)

By the way, I keep meaning to ask where in NJ are you? Does your surgeon's office have support group meetings? You may be able to get good feedback there as well.

thanks for the kind thoughts Alex...was thinking of a support group...will talk more to you later,thanks again

Hi MBZ,

Please don't leave us. Sorry you felt attacked. I just felt some urgency for you when reading the posts. Alex is correct, we are all kind of jumpy recently. Nobody wants extra surgeries or problems but it also is important that we have them assessed and taken care of when they do occurr. Best wishes to you, Teresa