Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Girls (and Guys).

I really need to know I am not alone. I am nearly three months out and just recently life seems to have come and overwhelm me. Is this a hormonal imbalance? Up until now I was elated the weight has been coming off (45 lbs), my diabetes in remission, my depression lifted. But now I feel sudden irritability, inability to make decisions, sleep pattern is WAY off, and a general difficulty with focus. Oh, and my feelings seem to always be hurt (sensitive). And the overwhelming feels overtaking. Am I going stark crazy? Do I need a padded room? I can't stand to hear "glad you are taking control of your heath by losing weight, because my emotions feel the worse out of wack EVER"

Suggestions?

Sorry you are feeling that way. The only advice that I can give you is to really look at each issue that you are facing and analyze it. Are the things that you are feeling really as bad as they seem (sometimes they are, but sometimes our emotions go haywire! I do that a lot with worry! I am a mother of young adults and can drive myself crazy with what ifs and when I look at things in a better frame of mind, I realize that I cheat myself of many wonderful minutes/hours of my life by worrying about things that never happen or are really out of my control.)

There have also been times I have been extremely irritable and in the past, I would resort to food to help numb the feelings. It worked! Anyway, I dont have that anymore so I have had to take a serious look once again at my feelings and ask Why. Why am I feeling so ticked off with the world, with my husband etc. I actually heard a quote from Duck Dynasty of all places that really has helped me. I think the older uncle said it, he said something like "It's just a bad day, not a bad life" It is true, lets look at it for what it is and in the big scheme of things, we will have a bad day here and there but overall, we are alive, getting healthy and hopefully gaining a lot more self confidence and control over our own bodies and minds each day.

Not sure if any of this has helped! I will be thinking about you though. I hope things get better. Not sure what things are in your life right now but I know that exercising when I feel irritable, weepy etc have helped. Just get out and clear your head, do some walking, jogging, Punching!!! Maybe it will help!

Have a super dee dooper day!

Hi, my sleep patterns were off at first but now seems to have settled down.I don't need as much sleep as I used to, I have more energy. I haven't really become irritable, however, I used to turn to food to fill up boredom, or anger and now I don't have that and you don't either. Maybe this is whats making you feel so out of control. I used food to medicate my feelings.It's a scary thing when one of our crutches is taken away. Maybe you might go back and see the therapist that you had to see before the sleeve? Hope that things start going better for you.

I would say that while the new and exciting part of losing weight so quickly at first felt like it "solved" the depression you felt pre-op, it just masked it for a short time. I think that likely happens to most people that suffer from some type of depression that come to the decision to have weight loss surgery. I was advised not to stop taking my antidepressant, regardless of if I felt like I didn't need it anymore, until after I had reached maintenance. There are so many emotional issues tied up in our lives and in being overweight, that we can't expect the success of surgery to solve it all. I would encourage you to consider discussing your feelings with your doctor or finding a therapist, going back on meds if you have stopped, or maybe you should consider starting one if you are unable to get a handle on your feelings through therapy or other means. Just know that it's normal to experience a whirlwind of emotions as we go through all of these changes, but also that the only thing that's really changed is our weight, not any of the underlying emotional struggles.

I promise, you're not going crazy. Good luck and take care.

Truth be told you are not alone. Yes call your doctor. Take your medicine. But I have felt emotional more around three week mark. I yelled at everyone. Some of this may be hormones, normal. But may be you just need some one professional to talk to just to sort it out. I do think some of it is normal.

Good luck

Stuff that has been stored in your fat cells are releasing now that your losing weight, plus hormones n your body constantly adjusting. I went thru a lot of the same things you are, just takes time. What helped me was trying to stay on a schedule(eating,exercising,sleep) and talking to family n friends. Or you could talk w your Dr or surgeons office/Dr to see what they say.

Really love the advice the others have given you. The doc can run some simple lab tests for hormone balance and also assess if you need something for depression and/or referral to a therapist. Worth taking a look. Why be miserable?