Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of being sick and tired - 5 weeks

So I'm 5 weeks and feeling regret because I can't seem to get over major digestive issues. Frankly I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

So I started off not tolerating whey, major diarrhea. Ok, tried a bunch of them and ended up with egg white Protein which tastes ok, but I can only stomach one shake a day. That one shake still is proceeded by liquid diarrhea.

Next, they check for C Difficile. Negative. Nurse says take Imodium.

Now it appears to also be lactose intolerance, now that I'm having cottage cheese and some cheeses. Switched to lactaid milk, same results. Liquid diarrhea following everything I eat.

I run my own business so I am being active but then fizzle out and hit a wall with fatigue in the early afternoon. dinner comes, more diarrhea, and just weak and worthless the rest of the day.

Rinse and repeat for the next day.

Used Imodium intermittently and it did help but I'd be taking the max every day so this week I tried lactaid tablets with the milk things and nothing changed. I get the diarrhea really after eating ANYTHING, even if its meat, fish, etc -- not just with milk based things.

So, I guess I'm asking if this can really be normal in the early weeks, and if so, when is it going to be better? I'm trying to remain in good spirits about it, but it's getting really old and I feel so weak and tired all the time. I've lost 23 pounds, which sounds good, but when you consider how many calories I'm eating and how much diarrhea I have, it seems like the loss should be more. I'm not even focusing on the weight right now, I just want to feel good.

Can anyone tell me if they went through this long of feeling crappy, and when it finally gets better?

I'm only 2.5 weeks out but going through the exact same thing. My surgeon couldn't give me any advice so I've taken it into my own hands and gone to my family doctor who backs the surgery. Haven't heard back about any of my gluten allergies of lactose tests yet. I hope you find an answer :(

SW: 324 DOSW: 322 CW: 302 surgery date-7/10/13 Sent from my iPhone using VST

I have the same issue. It is starting to get better. I've starting chewing Fiber tablets, it seems to bulk things up. I chew the Fiber One tablets. This was recommended by my Primary Care Physician. Hope it helps.

How far out are you, angel?

I have not heard of fiber tablets, I think they would help, thanks!

I was sleeved 04/30/2013.

I have heard of others who developed lactose intolerance after the surgery.....or conversely, those who were lactose intolerant could metabolize dairy better afterwards. Weird.

Many of us have the opposite problem - Constipation - which it's own kind of misery.

I would pester my PCP about treatments til you find something that helps.

I'm wondering about fiber gummies or chewable a... Is this something others are told to take? Fiber has not been mentioned to me at all, even with several phone calls to the dr office about diarrhea.

costco sells Fiber Choice tablets. sugar free, and assorted flavors. 3 grams of firer per tablet.

I am sorry that you are going through all that...I know for me the first month was pure hell, but then, it go better little by little. I have been lucky and only experienced dehydration & Hair loss, but I have read many posts on here similar to yours...I hope someone sees your post & gives you some helpful info...Best of luck to you. Hope you feel better soon! Hang in there!

:-( I am 6 weeks out and have the same issues as you, my bottom is often raw, I am tired all the time and vomiting and diarrhea are now my every day norm, I have spent 12 days in the hospital from complications from the diarrhea and vomiting I love the weight loss but can not wait to feel better,,,,, good luck to you

That sounds awful. I'm afraid they will find a reason to hospitalize me when I go for my 6week check next week. Fortunately I haven't vomited, only once a bit with sliming when I ate too big of a bite.

I wish you luck too, it's nice to hear you're not alone, and I hope it improves for both of us:)

I've been scouring the boards for this, hoping to find some info! I have to have a test run Monday morning for C.Dif.... I'm only 10 days out and have had diarrhea everyday since I left the hospital

I AM 2 WEEKS OUT AND AND I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE BUT PRETTY SURE IT IS BECAUSE ALL WE TAKING IS LIQUIDS.. I WOULD BE CONCERN IF YOU STILL HAVE DIARRHEA AFTER YOU START YOUR SOLID FOODS.

@kallie I had cdif, but unfortunately even after getting the treatment for it the diarrhea and vomiting hasn't stopped :-( and my nice little 12 day hospital stay, I know it will get better eventually, I just want to feel better I want to feel normal again

@kallie I had cdif, but unfortunately even after getting the treatment for it the diarrhea and vomiting hasn't stopped :-( and my nice little 12 day hospital stay, I know it will get better eventually, I just want to feel better I want to feel normal again

:( I got close to a hospital stay I was so dehydrated the other day I literally could feel myself shutting down. My saliva got thick it was making my stomach hurt, headache, muscle cramps.. I called the drs office but they had closed early. So my hubby went to the store and bought me pedialyte( the children's electroliate juice) I intend to drink some every other day until things get better. Never want to feel that way again!