Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did'ja ever notice?

Did'ja ever notice that when a person quits smoking they give up cigs entirely?

Did'ja ever notice when a person gives up their heroin addiction they give up drugs, entirely?

Did'ja ever notice that an alchoholic can quit by not drinking any more alchohol, ever?

But, did'ja also notice that if some one addicted to food gives up their drug of choice they'll starve to death?

How terrible if you had to quit smoking but still had to take three puffs a day for the rest of your life.

Or you had to take three sips of alchohol, but couldn't have any more than that.

I don't think will power alone can beat this weight thing.

Food is the enemy. We must avoid the enemy at all costs, but we must also enter the enemies camp every day, or we will perish.

No amount of willpower can hold up to that.

Thank God we've got tools to help us like the Band.

I sure can't wait to get it done. I sure can't wait to step into my future. I am full of fear, hope and excitement.

I read this forum every day. There are people here I think I've known for years, yet we only just met.

This is a good place. A place of hope. A place of support.

I'm glad I found you. My wife is supportive, and she really tries, but I feel more supported here. Nothing against her, how brave of her to try and be supportive of me while she battles her own demons.

Well, I think I'll invade the enemy's camp again. Make supper and get to sleep. Gotta work in the moanin'.

WOW...I love it when you post. You are very encouraging. And you are a great writer. I have thaught about what you just said many times before. Like it is so hard to give up food. Its the one addiction that you must partake of some to survive. I feel like I am getting to know you and I reaklly do like you. I am excited that you are joining us in bandland.. Keep posting ... Janie

How very, very true! The thing that we're addicted to, we have to have for sustenance. No other kind of addict could possibly ever understand. Where will you be having your banding done?

Boy do you have a way with words. What you say is so so true.

It is so difficult to face our addiction everyday, but with the band it makes it a lot easier. I can't wait for you to ride the "Band" wagon with us.

Ryan: I love that you finally put into perspective the thing I have been trying to get through to my family ever since I decided to have this band placed. Now I can just quote you and hopefully they will understand more. THey are supportive but just don't understand the addiction.

My banding will be done in alma, Michigan. By Dr. Cudjoe. Pronounced just like the dog in the Stephen King novel. Not spelled the same, thankfully.

How positive that sounds. I don't have a surgery date yet, but I'll be doing what I can to get this done before the end of the year. I've already met my deductible, you see.

Thanks for the kind words about the writing. You all are inspiring me to write more stuff, and to do the band.

Until now, I haven't dared to hope that I could be normal in size. I've always been obese, that is the only me that I have ever known. I like me, I really do, I only hope I will like the new me.

But, judging by how wonderful everyone here is, I have nothing to worry about.

Whip.

Ryan, you'll still be your same sweet self, just in a smaller exterior. I was wondering if that's how you pronounced your dr. name. Congratulations on being one step closer to being a healthier you!

Well, here I go to the family doc.

Today I tell him which surgery I've chosen (lap band, of course) and why.

And he needs to write a statement for me for the surgeon and for insurance to get me approved. Not really worried about approval, though, he's a great doc, and my State o' Michigan insurance is top notch. I'm pretty fortunate, really.

Just want y'all to wish me luck to get me over each hurdle (as is the case in my life, I will prove to be my own worst enemy) as they come up.

Sorry I haven't posted more, but I've been working overtime, gotta lotta doctor bills associated with my wife's illness. but all goes well there too. I'm just thankful there has been overtime available.

Soooooooooo, here I go!

Best of luck to you Ryan!! I'm crossing my fingers for smooth sailing here on out for you and your wife!!

Please keep us posted

Leatha

Did'ja ever notice that the word "fat" never occurs alone?

Fat and lazy, comes to mind.

Fat and sloppy, also.

Fat and stupid.

Fat and jolly.

Fat and sweaty.

It's as if people think the word "fat" is synonomous with other things.

It is not. If these characterizations were true then we would also say someone is "skinny and energetic".

Fat doesn't mean stupid any more than blonde does.

I notice many fat people working very hard to avoid those generalities. They work long hours (carrying an extra load the thin folks will never understand), they keep their minds active, they spend hours keeping themselves clean (and it ain't easy reachin' places your arms aren't long enough to access easily), and they are careful to dress attractively and appropriately.

Yep, we get a bad rap. Mostly from ourselves. From that nagging little voice inside us. Telling us we are somehow less worthy.

It is my hope that I will not change as I lose. It is my hope that I will see the beauty inside of every person, fat, thin, or damaged in any way. It is my hope that I will remember that every soul on this earth walks in some form of pain. Some scars show, some screams can never be voiced. Each person has reason to despair, just as each has reason to hope.

Just a thought. I've been thinking many such things since I started to accept the reality of what I am doing.