Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty Swallowing

Hi everyone, I was sleeved Wednesday July 17th. I'm having a lot of difficulty swallowing (pain in my chest). I'm taking the tiniest sips and after waiting a moment, still feels like its being blocked and I feel the need to burp. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's very frustrating. My pain is tolerable otherwise. Any suggestions?

It's normal, I had same issue as well I found sugar free Popsicles went down ok for me try getting crystal light mix with Water and sip on that, water is still not my best fiend and I was sleeved June 3 good luck

Same here, I was fine by 2wks! Try warm liquids. My sleeve didn't like cold!

I was just sleeved on July 15th and yes, I'm also experiencing this although I will say it is getting a little better, especially as you find yourself able to burp and toot a bit more as the gas from surgery starts to subside. I always loved drinking plain ice Water, but since the surgery, I tolerate cool or room temperature water with Crystal Light liquid drops better than plain water (search me...no idea why). I hope you feel better soon - I have a feeling next week will be better for all of us! :)

i have only started drinking cold Water last week...I could not stand the taste...I drank a lot of Water for years and it was my favorite drink in the world..After surgery..I could not get it down or keep it down.....I am almost 10 months out and now, only now can I take a glass of cold water and drink it down....

I am sooooooo happy I love the taste again......

Walking does wonders for the gas pains. I felt the same feeling and walked until it passed.

Hi everyone' date=' I was sleeved Wednesday July 17th. I'm having a lot of difficulty swallowing (pain in my chest). I'm taking the tiniest sips and after waiting a moment, still feels like its being blocked and I feel the need to burp. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's very frustrating. My pain is tolerable otherwise. Any suggestions?[/quote']

I posted about having the same exact problem the other day. I was sleeved on Monday July 15th and was having a very hard time getting liquids down. For some reason Jello in any amount doesn't cause the chest pain/ burping issue. I also found that the amount i was sipping didn't really change the problem but the temperature of the liquid did. Warmer liquid for me is better. As the days go by it is improving so i can tell you it will get better. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone I'm new and my surgery is July 24. Do anyone know if I will have to stop taking omeprazole (prilosec) before the surgery?

Hi everyone I'm new and my surgery is July 24. Do anyone know if I will have to stop taking omeprazole (prilosec) before the surgery?

My dr advised me to continue taking my omeprazole up to surgery date and also to take the am of my procedure with small sip of Water , 3weeks out I noticed I had acid issues called dr office said to open capsule and sprinkle on pudding