Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Montanans Out There

Hi,

Shawn, Yep I still get hungry. Tummy still growls. Although the other day I had gone 6 hrs without eating and had to remind myself I needed to eat. I try not to get really hungry because them I order everthing on the menu and when it comes I can only eat a small portions and end up throwing it away. I can't eat reheated meat. It makes me PB. I'm at the point now where my band is at it's limit (I could put more in but think it's not a good idea) so now it's up to me. I need to excercise more and be more careful what I eat. I still have about 40 lbs to go.

I hope everyone is doing well. Is anyone going to the April support group in GF?

Sharon

Hi guys, I'm getting myself really confused about portion sizes. I'm now doing pureed diet, and am supposed to be only having about 6 TBS or 1/2 cup. I really thin down my pureed foods - enough so I can drink them - so I'm having about 3/4 cup. Is this too much? Do you think the 1/2 cup is for the thicker pureed foods? I can usually drink about 1 cup of thicker liquids.< /p>

I also see that the recommended portions for when I go to solid food is 2 ozs. Is this how much you guys eat? That seems really low. Another place I saw said 1 cup at a time. It would be impossible to get the recommended 1200 cals and 90 grams of protien if we only eat 2 ozs or 1/2 cup at a time. Any thoughts?

BTW, I'm feeling great! Hope you all are well!

Hi Sharon,

Why do you think you stalled out on your weight loss? I'm trying to look ahead and at least be prepared with some sort of game plan. Maybe winter just caught up with you!

I'm planning on going to the support group and I think I'll have a friend who is considering it with me. I was just thinking about what food item I am planning on taking. I don't do any fancy cooking for this, just eat plain stuff. Yogert, tuna fish, Cereal or Protein drink in the morning. I eat a normal dinner with the exception of Portion Control. My DH gets a bit of my food if my plate gets too loaded up. But he is losing weight as well. He doesn't have a lot to lose tho, like me.

My mom is coming over from Kalispell on Monday and we are on a road trip to Denver where I'm taking a two day class. So it will be interesting to see how I fair eating out for a few days. (Actually about a week.) I think that we will order one meal and split it.

Sophie,

I think in the beginning I was only able to put down about 1/2 cup and I'd feel full. With any type of consistency of food. Now I try to just keep it too about 3/4 of a cup and probably a 1C to a 1 1/2 cup of food per meal..that is just a general guideline..sort of depends on what the food is. And I think you really have to struggle to get 1200 calories. I bet I rarely do. I just try to make healthy choices and get probably between 60 and 70 grams of Protein. I do take a pretty potent liquid Vitamin and adhere to protein first, veggies and then fruits. I don't eat bread, just because I'm afaid to. I've not PD'd or slimed and I'm guessing at some point that will come.

The nutritionist is coming to the next support group, if you can come great. But if not, I'll try to pay close attention and give you some feedback. You might want to email the head guy (Pat?) and give him your questions to ask!

Take care all of you!

Shawn

Hi All,

Just wondering how you all are doing? It's been pretty quiet on the site so I thought I'd touch base.

I just got back from a training in Denver and navagated the "eating" out bit for a week. I put on a couple of pounds I think due to Portion Control issues, but I'm back on track and have reined myself in.

I've not done well with exercising and have a variety of excuses, weather and not feeling well. I do need to get after it!

This thursday is the support group..anybody but me planning on going? I am looking forward to hearing what the nutritionist has to say.

Hope you are all doing very well.

Shawn

Hi,

How is everyone doing? I've been in a real slump lately. I haven't lost a pound in a month. I still have about 40 to go. I'm haveing a time with munching and sweets. :) Sometimes I think I should have more put into my band but I'm already at 2.5 and I know it's my turn to do the work. I won't be able to drive over from Kalispell for the meeting but please keep my informed on what the nutritionist has to say. I've been making excuses for exercise too. I really don't like it. But I need to. Well got to go. Sharon

Hello! I'm very excited today because I woke up in "Onederland!" I'm 4 weeks post op, and I can't believe how fast this initial weight loss is. I'm noticing a definate difference in how my clothes fit, and have lost 11 inches. I'm still on pureed food, but tomorrow I start soft/moist foods for 2 weeks. Don't know if I know how to chew anymore or not. I'll have to be really careful becuase I'm so used to sipping and swallowing. I can see an accident happening. No PB's or throwing up yet. I'm a little nervous about the fill appt I have on 4/18. Really don't know if I can handle any more restriction, and don't want the problems everyone talks about (PB's, can't eat certain healthy foods, etc.). Still can only get in 1000 cals a day, and I'd like to get in 1200-1500.

Shawn, I can relate re: the exercise. I was doing ok on getting walks in while the weather was nice, but now it's yucky again.... Let me know how support group goes. I called the nutritionist the other day to ask a question, and she was a bit short with me.... I'm meeting with her on the 18th after my fill appt.

Sharon, From what I hear it takes time to find the "sweat spot" on your restriction. You've lost quite a bit alreay! Have you tracked inches?

Take care!

Hi all,

Just an update from the "support group". No nutritionist showed up. Just four people there, a friend of mine, the "leader" and Karen. We brought a few food items but nothing that we hadn't talked about during that first group where we met. I was pretty dissappointed that the nutritionist didn't come. My friend who was there is considering the band and had met with her and was "less than impressed." So, nothing really insiteful to share with you all about that group. Maybe we should set a time to meet here once a month and support each other?

Sophie, that is great about your lost and entry into onederland. Great going. I think that if you don't feel like you need a fill, pass on it. I was told that when you are no longer losing weight, have significant hunger, portion sizes creeping up, and are past that 6 week mark, that is when you start scheduling them. I just scheduled mine for the 17th, because of my eating more in portions than I'd like. Altho today I feel like I'm eating the right amounts! Go figure, it does change, day to day.

I hope you all have a nice easter with family and/or friends. Talk to you soon,

Shawn

sophie,

what time is your fill on the 18th? I have an appt with dr. rohrer on the 18th as well at 4pm.

congrats on your entrance to one-der-land!

Thanks, Brenda! My appt with Dr. Rhorer is at 2:00, and I meet with the nutritionist at 2:30. Wish our times were closer together as I would love to meet you to discuss your experience. That is so awesome that you are so close to goal!! Great job!

Shawn, Sorry support group was a bust. I was a little concerned when I found out others had quit going, etc. Would be nice if there was another group that would meet with a little different format.

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I haven't written in awhile. Kinda been down and out. I've been making really bad choices and then on top of that I ended up with knee surgery last Monday and have done nothing but sit and eat. I made the mistake of getting a fill in the am in March and thought it was enough but I think I could use a little more but by the time I come to GF with mileage, travel and fill it runs me around $ 325.00. I'll just save my pennies. I hope everyone is doing well.

Sharon

Hi Sharon, Sorry to hear about your knee surgery. That has to be tough when you're layed up. Be patient with yourself in your recovery. Choose foods that will help you heal and be healthy!

How much fill do you have? I just got mine on Wednesday (1cc in 4cc band). I was starting to eat too much that week before my fill, as there was a sudden change in hunger and volume that I was able to eat. The fill has helped me cut down again.

I had a scarey incident the night I got my fill....took some nyquil and went to bed that night, and woke up an hour later with horrible pain in my stomach. I ended up passing out a couple of times because of the pain, then spitting up some acidy liquid. Jovan the bariatric nurse said it could have been either a nerve in my stomach irritated by the fill and lying down, or not flushing the nyquil down with Water and it sitting in my pouch. Haven't had any problems since then.

Brenda, how's it going with your fill?

Shawn, How are your exercise goals coming along?

Well, it has been a long time! I was re-reading some posts and think I am the longest out on this thread. I want to let you know that your body will stall. you shouldnt get dissappointed, this is not like a "diet" we are all used to being on. there were several months I lost nothing. one month I lost zero pounds but I do body measurments and that was 20+ inches tbl. the band is a life change not a quick loose weight. your body HAS to adjust to the new size. your heart has to beat different, blood flw different.. ect. please do not get discouraged. I have learned a few things the past 2 years that no doc call tell you or understand. I like Dr. Rohrer but it is not the same as my original doc. the band surgery was his "baby" and he researched everything, and even did the preop and post op diet cuz patients said how hard it was. I miss him! that being said..

I requested a small .3 fill wanted alittle more but not too much again. Dr. thought it was .3-.5 closr to.5 I am not eating well-quanitiy or quality- and my personal plan was to be healthy not so skinny I was sick, I am giving it this week till wed. then if still uncomfortable back to GT and andother $100 for an unfill. then I am done with fills. I guess my body is happy where it is and the excersize I do will keep me fit.

so, as I look back today over the last 2 years, 115lbs, and from a 22 to a 10. this being puky, not eating or eating and not holding it down, having the pb issues or feeling like pbing- is not where I need to be. it is simply not worth it. I did this to have a life, not a life waiting to throw up or not eat at all with get togethers. dont stress about weight loss, it will happen with the band. the most weight I lost was when I had our foster baby. he was very sick, 3.3lbs, and never slpet. my priority was him and I lost like 65 lbs in 10 months and never went to the doc or got a fill or exercised. I just lived my life like a "skinny" chick. great book- why french women dont get fat. have you read it, what did you think?

Best of luck all, sorry for rambling need to call a friend to blabber, wrists are killing me! lol

Brenda

How is everyone?

Brenda, How is your fill going? Are you still having problems? I've been sort of stalled and I know it's time for a fill. I'm not sure how much to get. I have the smallest band and 1 cc already. I'm thinking .5??? What do you guys think? I've been wanting to read the book you recommended (Why French Women Don't Get Fat). Right now I'm working on "The Taming of the Chew", and I also have the book "Body Clutter". Are you still doing foster care? I used to be an FRS and licensed foster/adopt homes for the state. Did that for about 6 yrs and really miss it. I may do foster care after my boys graduate - that is if DH warms up to the idea more.

Sharon, How has your recovery from your surgery going?

Shawn, I had a little filly born on Mother's Day. She got into wire on Sat, and got some chest wounds, and had to have part of her tongue amputated. I've been doctoring her twice a day, and it looks like she might be ok. The vet gave a pretty poor prognosis, and I was thinking I might have to put her down. She's young enough, so I think she will adapt. How have you been?

Hi Sophie,

Sorry to hear about your filly. I guess I wouldn't count her out yet...they do adapt. As long as she can nurse now and is adapting to the eating/grazing. I have a little colt that was born about two weeks ago. He is a pistol! I just got back from town buying some more corral panels so I can built a round pen and start my 2 year old.

I went in for a fill on wednesday..got 2 cc's in the 10cc band. I stalled out for the past six weeks...but did manage to lose 4 pounds in that time. I figure any number down is better than going up! I'm sporadic with my exercise...gotta get my rear in gear.

How is everyone else doing?

Shawn

Hey Guys,

How about a check in? How is everyone doing this summer? How is the WL and or NSV? Are people noticing your loss? Compliments?

All's well here. I've had another fill last month for a total of 5 cc's in my VG10 band. I can feel the restriction and that is a good thing. I'm down 44 since surgery in January. My exercise is intermittent...but I do keep re-motivating myself..and tomorrow it is back walking my 3 miles.

How are you guys motivating yourselves for exercise? What types of exercise do you do?

Lets hear all about it.

Shawn