Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to a nutritionist this week to get a weight-loss plan and she highly recommended bariatric surgery. I hadn't realized that I qualified for it, but now that I do, I'm highly considering going the sleeve route. This idea was just introduced to me a couple days ago, so I haven't done too much research on it yet. I'm going to an informative meeting the hospital has tomorrow, but I'd like to get a take from some people who have gone through the surgery already.

Do you have any regrets? If so, what are they? Any advice for a newbie from someone who has gone through it all? What is the worst part of the whole process? The best?

Sorry if I'm not posting this in the right area, obviously I'm new to this whole thing. Any thoughts would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and I can't wait to get to know everyone here :)

I was sleeved on Wednesday. I'm not ganna lie it was painfull for the first day.but when they finally took the catheter out I started to feel more human. Getting all the liquids down is hard. But do I regret it. No. My only regret is that I waited is long to do It. I hard work it's not the easy way out. But it's worth it.

Do you have any regrets? If so, what are they? Any advice for a newbie from someone who has gone through it all? What is the worst part of the whole process? The best?

Pleasure to meet you Jess.

The worst part for me was the first 4 days of the 2 week preop liquid only diet. i was hungry, angry, fighting allergies, and wanted to sue people. On the 5th day I woke up feeling better than before the diet.

The first hour out of surgery was uncomfortable as I had a gas pain that wouldn't go away. They saw my discomfort, offered me pain meds, I took them and was joking with people as they wheeled me to my room. i was discharged around 11am the next day.

Advice?

Right now, start sampling different Protein shakes to see which ones you like.

Don't go nuts, but stock up on a few liquid Proteins before surgery so you don't have to worry about going out and getting them the first few days.

Right now, start learning how not to drink with meals. Eat your meal and wait 30 minutes before you drink anything. This takes a little practice.

Right now, learn how to chew each bite 20-30 times. Stop eating at 20 minutes or when you get bored, whichever comes first.

Shop for and start taking your Multivitamins, Calcium citrate, b-12, etc.

I have no regrets. There was a moment, literally only a moment, when I got home after the surgery and said to myself, "I did something permanent to my body. What have I done?" Then it was gone. Never again have I had reason to question what I did and I am very pleased that I did it.

I am getting surgery on 8/6, and I have to say I almost cancelled it twice. Then I come on here and look at all the positive comments. I start to think of my health improving, and looking to buying clothes and being excited again is keeping me going. I went to eat last night, and I have to admite I had nachos, knowing it may have been my last time indulging in that quantity agin. I tried Protein Shakes, and actually like them.Good luck, keep us updated.

I had surgery February 19th of this year. I am down almost 60 pounds. I never regret doing this surgery. It has truly been life changing.... I agree about not drinking with meals start now!!! If you are a big soda drinker regular or diet cut back now.. I started back on diet coke a month after surgery and always felt bloated. I have singed weaned myself off of them again and hope to never go back!!!

Ron, Thank you! YOu answered questions I was wanting to know

The only regret was that I didnt do it sooner. But now Im making up for lost time and life is wonderful! No more thoughts of "I cant do that because of my weight", its all "Look what I can do now!". For example I went to a movie with my wonderful hubby last weekend and sat crossed legged in the seat and my hubby leaned over and said "Look at you. You couldnt do that last year". Things that I couldnt do before I do now with EASE! There are a million things I can do now that I couldnt before. The only tough decision I have each day is what cute outfit Im going to wear lol.

No regrets. I had a moment of regret when I was in the hospital before the anesthesia wore off and I wasn't breathing on my own well. They kept telling me to breath, finally they went ahead and gave me oxygen for a while and as soon as the anesthesia wore off I was breathing fine.

Wow, thank you so much everyone! I haven't even really started the process yet, but am nervous/excited at the possibilities. Insurance has confirmed that it is covered, and I have the necessary referral from the nutritionist. Now I need to go see the gastroenterologist (is that the right term?) and get more informed. It does encourage me hearing that most people don't regret their decision to do it.

I think that is my biggest fear with this whole thing... Not the surgery, or pain, or even the strict eating regimen, but that for some weird reason I would regret my decision afterwards (whether because of complications, excess skin, something) and not be able to take back something irreverersible.

I think that is my biggest fear with this whole thing... Not the surgery, or pain, or even the strict eating regimen, but that for some weird reason I would regret my decision afterwards (whether because of complications, excess skin, something) and not be able to take back something irreverersible.

Today I am regretting the heck out of wearing jeans that have been sitting in the back of my closet for over 10 years. :rolleyes:

Kidding. There could be complications. There could be excess skin. In my situation, it was worth the risk. I have a list of reasons I hated being fat. Only you can decide if it's worth the risk for you.

The only regret I have is all of the new clothes I have to buy; the low grocery bill other than that I wish I would have done this lot sooner hope everyone is doing well GOD BLESS PRAYERS!!!

Regrets I don't have any. Having kids it's hard to explain to them why I'm not eating the same things they are. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and have lost 21lbs, I have also gone from a 2x shirt to lg shirts already! Getting all of your fluids and Protein in right after surgery is difficult but you learn how to manage them into your new day routine. It is a life changing experience for certain! Good luck

No regrets whatsoever! I'm loving it and feeling like a new person. So much energy!

My advice ...find a Protein Shake now that you like (which isn't easy for some of us), find an exercise routine you can stick to, quit the soda/start the Water, and research as much as you can...I am in a teeny tiny minority here..I do regret the surgery. I haven't had any complications except dehydration & the hair loss; I have lost 80 plus lbs & I'm never hungry or thirsty (which will not last forever). My regret is more emotional/mental, I guess. I am not me, eating and drinking this way. I miss me. My life is not & will never be the same again, with family & friends & social occasions. I miss my old life. I am a food addict. I am an emotional eater. Surgery doesn't take any of those kind of issues away in any way. I prepared for a year for surgery...thought I was ready...but woke up regretting it. I am nearing 5 months out now or so...and my regret is real. Now, most do have initial regrets after surgery, but it usually goes away in a short bit. Some more advice...right after surgery - make yourself sip (you won't feel like it, but do it anyway) and make yourself walk (again, you probably won't feel like it, but make yourself do it anyway). I always post about my experience when a new person has questions about regret because there are a teeny tiny few of us who do regret it, and I think someone considering wls needs to be informed on both. Best of luck to you! Wish you all the best!