Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed 1st attempt @ bypass surgery, is the sleeve for me?

Hello! I have to say this is the first time I've ever posted anything related to my medical history online, but this looks like the place to do it. Six years ago, a year after giving birth to my second child, I was about 275 lbs & decided to have gastric bypass surgery. The surgeon that performed it was well known & head of the department of a great hospital. Unfortunately, when performing the laparoscopic portion of the surgery, my doctor pierced my aorta, so I began bleeding internally. No blood pressure and I lost 6 or 7 units of blood. The surgeon opened me up & stopped the bleeding. Luckily, a very talented vascular surgeon happened to be there & was able to graft the artery. I was very lucky to survive this at all, but needless to say, I didn't get the surgery I had hoped for and went though hell recovering with a 15" incision. Now it's 6 years later and I'm heavier than I was and feeling much worse and meeting with another surgeon in a couple of weeks. Trying to be brave here and hope that it's worth the risk... again. I know I need it desperately, and with any luck lightening will not strike me twice. Wondering if I should go for the sleeve. Any thoughts?

I am just aghast at what you experienced...I don't think I've ever heard of such a grave error being made during any kind of WLS...I am very sorry for what you went through...I don't even know how to give advice here with your question...I have to be honest that after your experience it would take a lot to give me the confidence to have another weight loss surgery...of course, I don't know what other health issues and complications you have...I had some previous abdominal surgery where I had complications and ended up staying three months total in the hospital and in-patient rehab...because of that, it took me 4 years to gain confidence to have the VSG, and I did a lot of research and soul searching...ultimately though what made me make the go-ahead decision was some serious complications I was experiencing from uncontrolled type 2 diabetes...I was facing a high risk of a toe or foot amputation...that led me to proceed with the VSG on May 6 of this year, and I don't regret the decision I made...good luck and prayers for you

Thanks Tigerbelle... It is scary- I have had several surgeries in the past but this was the only major issue I've had- sorry to hear about your issues as well- no fun! I am wresting with this as an option right now. My husband and I are both frightened but trying to be rational about what I need. My OB said that if anything they would be overly careful with my case considering the circumstances and I'm hoping he is right! I also am having lots of issues physically & have a family history of cancer so I am weighing things out here... Not sure how my extended family will feel since they are still shocked from the last time, but I have to improve my life. This decision to possibly go forward only really happened this week after attending a seminar- still need to meet with the doctor who is aware of my history so we'll see what he says. Not sure which surgery if any will be right for me, but the good news is I found out that my insurance will cover most of it if I do go forward with this... Thanks for your support and good luck to you too!! Will let you know what we decide on Aug 2nd.

Wow, you know doubt have been through alot. More and more people are opting for the sleeve because it is less ivasive to some degree. No rerouting for one, no mal-obsorbtion problems, etc. The bypass is better if your a diabetic, but you just need to examine both surgeries and see which one would be the best and most successful for you.

Good Luck:)

The complication rate with the sleeve is 1/100. That's the fact. So, literally a 1% chance.Not to say that you couldn't hit the unlucky # and have internal bleeding, dehydration, Upper GI bleed, or any other lovely complication that occurs. You're asking unqualified individuals for a medically-sound opinion.I would seek medical advice and get a second opinion based on fact of your history and possible contraindications and interactions per your previous history. I only say this to cover the educated front. I had a surgery back in March and I was just fine. Four of us went in on the same day and four of us had completely different experiences. One had sepsis and nearly died, one is still having problems keeping down food, I'm down 33 lbs and another lady is down 40, but stalled for about a month. It's really a personal experience. I wish you well and I hope you get the educated advice you need. cheers!

Bless your sweet heart! Wish you well with your decision.

the question i would have is how familiar was the surgeon with doing WLS surgery. the skill set is particular to the surgery. the second surgeon would have the added advantage of knowing what happened, so if there is some anatomical issue that is the problem he would be better prepared.

Do you know if anyone will even entertain doingthe surgery?

pixigrl, the only thing I would add--for the benefit of others who might be following this topic--is that the complication rate you quote (which I believe is accurate) is for surgeons overall...my surgeon, for example, has done thousands of bariatric surgeries over several years, and he has not had a single patient die, has never had a patient with a leak, and has only had two patients with strictures...I talked with nurses at a hospital where he does his surgeries, and they sing his praises as far as his skill set and technique--in fact, they say they would choose him to do their own surgeries...I say all of this as a comfort possibly to some--even though even my surgeon could one day have a patient who experienced a leak, there are ways to reduce your chances even below that one in 100 if you choose your surgeon wisely

Thanks, everyone. The surgery, which was performed in 2006 was intended to be a gastric bypass procedure, and yes, he was very experienced at that- supposedly he had performed thousands, but who really knows. After this happened he said that if I ever wanted to try again he would do it for free but I could never risk that with him. According to him my anatomy was "different" meaning I guess he didnt anticipate my aorta being where it was??? He has since left the practice, to go out on his own and his partners remain, who I really do like and seem to be rated highly. I know I have a lot of questions for this new doctor and I don't know exactly what he would suggest but I feel like they will have my back in this. Thanks also, at this point I'm guessing that the sleeve is the way to go. I'll see what they have to say, but I guess a better way to pose the question is, knowing what happened to me would you try again if you were in my shoes?

I'm guessing we all would need more info to answer my question... Just scared but hopeful! Thanks again.

Just met with my doctor & I've made a big decision. Learned some new information about what actually happened during the first procedure and what this doctor would do differently. I learned that he was actually in the operating room assisting my former surgeon when things went wrong. He was able to shed some light on what happened (second laparoscopic tool (don't remember the name) was inserted too deep) he actually assisted opening me up so to stop the bleeding. I never went into cardiac arrest, (which to me explains the lack of tunnel/light) just no bood pressure because of the hemmorage. He said that he hadn't had to transfuse anyone before or since. I feel pretty good about him and he sincerely wants to help right the situation for me. He feels that the sleeve would be the best choice for me considering the graft & scar tissue that would be present in the area. He's use a smaller tool 5mm versus 10mm to start with and would change the location of entry. Still am nervous but confident in him. My husband is really sick/nervous about this decision, but at 35 lbs heavier than I was the last go around, I know that I really need this. Haven't spoken to my father or sister yet, just close friends. Not looking forward to that aspect of the process. In the meantime, I have several of my pre-op appointments scheduled for the next couple of weeks. What has been everyone's experience with the nutritionist, or psych evaluation/report? Anyone have these covered by insurance?

LBD, thanks for the update. I am glad you found out more information and now can make an informed decision...I was self-pay for the entire package, which included the nutritionist appointments...if you are overweight, I don't see why insurance would not at least cover the nutritionist visit, but I don't know the particulars of your plan...meanwhile, please check in here as you feel the need, because I have found a lot of support here, as well as information and just as a place to vent when I could use it...best to you

Congrats on your decision!

My insurance treated the pysch eval as any other doctor visit, so it was just the office visit copay. My psychologist also did a test that I had to pay for the service to score (like the old #2 pencil scantrons in school), but not all do that. The nutritionist was part of the Weight Loss Program at the hospital I went to, and was included in the costs.

Thank you both... The Psychologist told me that the report is never covered by insurance and that I would need to pay her $100 for that..maybe that test is part of the report? The actual visit is $75 and that she could submit for. Can't remember if that was the case for me the first time. Maybe I'll try & call someone else.