Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Alejandro López Ortega or Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela ?

@ Jiggly puff, I have a few questions. Regarding the 65 y/o woman, what was her BMI? How tall was she and how much did she weigh. Be careful regarding rumor, opinion, and hearsay, due to these being the lowest forms of information and does not mean it is a fact. What was her BMI when she applied for the surgery? Did she lose weight prior to the surgery IE pre-op diet? Did her BMI change after she applied for surgery and prior to arriving? These are key factors. You see, I went from BMI 35 to 33 and notified them immediately. I was cleared for the surgery again prior to flying. "Something's wrong with this picture" that you've described. When you "met this woman in the hospital", was she going to have surgery by another physician? It sounds like the woman wanted the surgery really bad and when she arrived, for safety reasons, the surgeon (s) would not operate. This is not a bad thing, this is a competent deal. How do you know she wasn't pissed because she wanted it so bad and then told no. It is very clear in the paperwork what the guidelines are. Oh, and FYI, she will be refunded her money if the surgery did not occur and not due to her backing out because of changing her mind. I know this FIRST HAND because I was one of her patients and received the paperwork. So, I'm curious on your answers, then it will either prompt me with further questions or give me more information to comment further. I believe there's more to this that you are either not providing or the woman wasn't telling.

They are are the top surgeons in Mexico...per the "Top Mexican Surgeons" that I saw.

Where did you see that? :mellow:

In all of my research I have never seen that mentioned by a reputable source....?

Where did you see that? :mellow:

In all of my research I have never seen that mentioned by a reputable source....?

It's from a website put out by one of the coordinating companies. I'm not saying they aren't excellent doctors... They definitely ARE.. I used them and am very happy. They have good specialized bariatric training under Dr. Corvala, have done a lot of surgeries and the provided me with great care and are an excellent value for the money..... I'm just saying that the website is NOT an objective source.

It's from a website put out by one of the coordinating companies. I'm not saying they aren't excellent doctors... They definitely ARE.. I used them and am very happy. They have good specialized bariatric training under Dr. Corvala, have done a lot of surgeries and the provided me with great care and are an excellent value for the money..... I'm just saying that the website is NOT an objective source.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I think people need to be careful pointing to that website and calling it objective/reliable and verifiable information.

I had Dr. Lopez June 22, Dr. Lopez and his staff were awesome as well as Ronda the coordinator. Abrham the driver was awesome. I would go back again And I was by myself, never was I scared. I'm 1 month out and I'm happy so far with what I chose and the doctor and team. Good luck!!

I had Dr. Lopez June 22' date=' Dr. Lopez and his staff were awesome as well as Ronda the coordinator. Abrham the driver was awesome. I would go back again And I was by myself, never was I scared. I'm 1 month out and I'm happy so far with what I chose and the doctor and team. Good luck!![/quote']

Thanks! Anything you recommend bringing? When (and where) did they take the drain out?

@ Jiggly puff, I have a few questions. Regarding the 65 y/o woman, what was her BMI? How tall was she and how much did she weigh. Be careful regarding rumor, opinion, and hearsay, due to these being the lowest forms of information and does not mean it is a fact. What was her BMI when she applied for the surgery? Did she lose weight prior to the surgery IE pre-op diet? Did her BMI change after she applied for surgery and prior to arriving? These are key factors. You see, I went from BMI 35 to 33 and notified them immediately. I was cleared for the surgery again prior to flying. "Something's wrong with this picture" that you've described. When you "met this woman in the hospital", was she going to have surgery by another physician? It sounds like the woman wanted the surgery really bad and when she arrived, for safety reasons, the surgeon (s) would not operate. This is not a bad thing, this is a competent deal. How do you know she wasn't pissed because she wanted it so bad and then told no. It is very clear in the paperwork what the guidelines are. Oh, and FYI, she will be refunded her money if the surgery did not occur and not due to her backing out because of changing her mind. I know this FIRST HAND because I was one of her patients and received the paperwork. So, I'm curious on your answers, then it will either prompt me with further questions or give me more information to comment further. I believe there's more to this that you are either not providing or the woman wasn't telling.

This is not rumor or "hearsay" and this forum has solicited my opinion and that's what I have provided. I was there and witnessed this woman being turned down. Yes, I was also confused as to why she was even there to begin with. She didn't look like she needed surgery at all. However, that doesn't excuse the fact of how she was approved and then denied once she got there. How did she get approved to begin with? Everyone getting surgery that day witnessed this and none of us could believe how that happened. And I don't know this lady's vital's and I'm not sure why I would. I only know her age because she volunteered it to me. The only thing we could figure out as to how that might have happened is that she lost a lot of weight on the pre-surgery diet maybe? And I never said she didn't get a refund, I said she was out her deposit of $750.00, plus she had to pay for her Hotel stay after all and not to mention the airfare. If that had been me, I would've lost my mind. And by the way, I also was set to be one of Valenzuela's patients and I have all of the paperwork as well, so I know what it says. As I said before, this forum asked for my opinion between the two and I gave it plus my reasons. Just because somebody else has a less than steller experience than you, doesn't mean you have to take it personally. Every situation and person is different. And also to Dr. Valenzuela's credit, I believe she did the right thing when she denied that woman the surgery instead of going through with it. That would've been crazy.

I'm not taking anything personally. Was asking questions to clarify your statements. Regarding hearsay, I was referring to whatever that woman told you. It was really unfortunate what happened. I too would have felt bad for her (you seem to be a very companionate person); however it is the patient's responsibility to give the surgeon all the information up until prior to arrival. That's what I meant about that woman maybe not providing you with hence what didn't make sense. Could she have been approved based on information she provided initially? Maybe she didn't provide accurate information in the surgical application. Somehow, when she got there, the surgeon (s) found that the information she provided (that got her approved) was no longer valid and was not able to do the surgery. It does suck...but she is alive and with a standing ovation clapping, Dr. Valenzuela did the right thing and not perform surgery if it could be dangerous to the woman's life. I tend to ask questions (professional habit-medical field and being a retired police officer/Deputy Sheriff-Coroner)...to seek to understand. I appreciate you telling the story. It does not have anything to do with Dr. Valenzuela's ability of being a bariatric surgeon...other than proving she is competent and will do the right thing regarding the safety of individuals versus taking money and doing an unnecessary surgery. I did state earlier that I was biased because she was one of my surgeons, and it was the research that I did and the company I went through (Medical Tourism- USA based company) to provide top bariatric Mexican Surgeons. Sincerely, Jen

Thanks! Anything you recommend bringing? When (and where) did they take the drain out?

I have a Mexico Trips Tips document that I give people that has great info. My drain was taken out just before I left in the hospital. I hope I answered your question. LOL

I have a Mexico Trips Tips document that I give people that has great info. My drain was taken out just before I left in the hospital. I hope I answered your question. LOL

Thanks! You sent them to me already. I appreciate the help and advice. :)

Lol...goes to show I don't keep emails. Glad you got them and are helpful to you.

That drain was disgusting! That's the only part that bummed me out about the whole thing. Bring soap to the Mi Doctor for your shower! They didn't have any for some reason. And they didn't give us any washcloths either. Maybe bring a shower puff or something. I wish I had taken hard soled slippers. And since I had more of an issue with my drain than the other patients, I wish I had brought a whole pack of sterile gauze with me and medical tape. Thank goodness I brought what I did, but I needed more. What really helped me pass the time in the hotel was my Kindle Fire HD and audiobooks. And games, music, etc. The TV in Tijuana was aggravating. Bring a light weight robe too. I think I did very well with just my carry on luggage and I didn't need to fuss with baggage claim. So that was a blessing too. I brought my own chicken bouillon cubes and tea which was nice to have something hot at night without calling room service and having to tip each time. Even though their chicken broth was awesome! Eat that in the dining room or during the day when you feel like dealing with other people. :P Oh! One more thing. Abraham will most likely take you to get the best ice cream in the world. Don't get the "fruit"! Get mango or lime instead. They don't have chunks and you'll be able to enjoy it better. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Good luck!

That drain was disgusting! That's the only part that bummed me out about the whole thing. Bring soap to the Mi Doctor for your shower! They didn't have any for some reason. And they didn't give us any washcloths either. Maybe bring a shower puff or something. I wish I had taken hard soled slippers. And since I had more of an issue with my drain than the other patients, I wish I had brought a whole pack of sterile gauze with me and medical tape. Thank goodness I brought what I did, but I needed more. What really helped me pass the time in the hotel was my Kindle Fire HD and audiobooks. And games, music, etc. The TV in Tijuana was aggravating. Bring a light weight robe too. I think I did very well with just my carry on luggage and I didn't need to fuss with baggage claim. So that was a blessing too. I brought my own chicken bouillon cubes and tea which was nice to have something hot at night without calling room service and having to tip each time. Even though their chicken broth was awesome! Eat that in the dining room or during the day when you feel like dealing with other people. :P Oh! One more thing. Abraham will most likely take you to get the best ice cream in the world. Don't get the "fruit"! Get mango or lime instead. They don't have chunks and you'll be able to enjoy it better. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Good luck!

I like to tag onto Jiggly's post too. In the Mexico Trip Tips document, it gives all the stuff including safety pin to pin the drain to your gown or clothes so it does not pull. Also, at MiDoctor's hospital, there is a Mexican/American guy named, Jaime who will get you almost anything (within reason and legal..LOL) I was provided towels and wash cloths when requested. There is free internet access. My girlfriend brought her computer, and I brought my IPad. I guess that is similar to Kindle? I know you can read books from it, but not sure if you can access internet. Oh, know the hours of the café when they are open. My girlfriend got stuck missing meal times; however the staff was unbelievable and gave her on two separate occasions free dinner. I was so envious...cause I couldn't eat...LOL just sip, sip, sip. My girlfriend and I visited neighboring patients. On our floor, we were all medical people. There was one gal who was by herself (traveling etc). We visited her often and my friend was also her advocate when she needed something. It's a great bonding experience. If I think of anything else...I'll post it.

Thanks guys!!! I really love & appreciate the advice.

I am having surgery with Valenzuela on July 31st. I will be there on the 27th until August 5th, just in case. My coordinator Cindy had the same surgeon and she's doing great. I am going through Mexico Bariatrics.