Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As if I'm not fat enough....

now my internal organs are fat. I had my abdominal u/s friday and the gastroenterologist called me like 2 hrs later to tell me i had fatty liver. awesome, just what i wanted to hear..... I know that this is pretty common with obesity. He advised me not to take any motrin/advil/tylenol and try to lose more weight and to not drink alcohol (which i dont anyway). So my question is does this affect the surgery in anyway? does the pre-op diet take care of all the fat around the liver? my surgeon didnt say there was a specific amount of weight that he wanted me to lose just that i would be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks when the times comes.

The liquid diet will help decrease the fat around your liver and make it easier for the surgeon. Hang in there. Your organs will be losing weight with the rest of you very soon. :-)

Well the good news is that weight loss should help with the fatty liver. But that said, this can be serious, so do everything your MD says while they figure out what's going on and treat you. Try googleing "fatty liver and sleeve gastrectomy", there are some interesting articles there...

The pre-op diet of just liquids will help shrink your liver.....They have to pick it up and move it so that they can work on the stomach...They have a clamp that they use to hold the liver in place..The problem is if it slips then there can be issues.......

Do what your Doc tells you and you will be fine....The pre-op liquid diet is a huge key to shrinking your liver...

Best to you!

I agree with everyone - Listen to what your doctor says. I also had a bit of a fatty liver going in to surgery. The Liver Reduction Diet does help that and long term, so does losing weight.

I anticipate that you will not have any issues with the liver and that it will be solved following your post-surgical weight loss.

Best of luck to you on your journey.

thanks. the dr did say that this could potentially develop into cirrohsis of the liver way down the line which struck a chord with me since my father past from that at age 42 (granted he was an alcoholic and i do not drink). so i have to take care of this immediatley

Is there any impact to the surgery options? I hear that fatty livers are pretty common, but also the liver has to be moved or pushed over so the surgery can take place. I haven't had mine measured yet but I'm guessing it looks about like I do (sigh). Could it limit the laproscopic options, or maybe make the doc unable to use the big robot?

I believe that alcoholic and non alcoholic fatty liver are quite different and cirrhosis is far less common with non alcoholic. The fat is actually in our liver cells (though if we are obese we'll almost certainly have more fat than is ideal around our organs too), and the overall size of our liver increases. The Optifast pre-op diet is aimed at decreasing the fat in our liver cells and so the size of our liver. I believe we can decrease the size of our livers by diet, so VSG should really help. Amazingly it's low carb that is most important.

Good luck. It's v common these days (due to growing rate of obesity) but far better to be without!

fatty liver. - common with obesity. - liquid diet for 2 weeks

hopeliveshere

hi there

as you said, "heavy people" have a tendency to have fatty livers :angry:

many/most/all surgeons will have patient on a pre-op diet to help reduce that fatty area

the liquid diet will help you lose lbs

some docs say you must lose 5% of your weight before WLS

ie 5% of 200 lbs - you would be required to lose 10 lbs

some docs don't require a pre-op diet (mine didn't)

just tell you to make sure not to gain any weight :angry:

try not to stress over this

this is just one the many new rules you will have to follow while you are on the road to health, happiness and a longer life in SLEEVELAND

good luck with WLS

speedy recovery

kathy