Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I attended my first Seminar this morning and schuduled my first appointment to start my weight loss journey. I'm very excited to get things started! With a BMI of 40.1 I'm barely able to do this but I've been overweight my entire life with it really spiraling out of control about 12 years ago! I'm ready to take control and get my life back.

I attend my seminar alone because my family and friends don't think that I need to have weight loss surgery. I honestly have tired over the years to lose weight and keep it off and I have always lost some but then gained it all the weight back plus more! I have two kids that I would love to be more active with. Also the last couple years I have really withdrawn from family and friends because of the way I feel with being overweight. I don't feel good, I feel as if the life has been sucked right out of me. I'm trying so hard to get my family on board and tell them how I feel but I haven't had any luck with them supporting me as of yet. I feel like unless you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes then you have no room to judge. I'm not gonna stop trying to get them on my side, hopefully they see the light! I have found this site to be so positive and I feel like we all can relate to each other. I have kind of been all over the place with this thread but I feel better getting it all out:)

Best of luck to you! I started this process mid-late January, and I can say that the process as a whole has been trying, but it will be worth it in August!

I attended my first Seminar this morning and schuduled my first appointment to start my weight loss journey. I'm very excited to get things started! With a BMI of 40.1 I'm barely able to do this but I've been overweight my entire life with it really spiraling out of control about 12 years ago! I'm ready to take control and get my life back.

I attend my seminar alone because my family and friends don't think that I need to have weight loss surgery. I honestly have tired over the years to lose weight and keep it off and I have always lost some but then gained it all the weight back plus more! I have two kids that I would love to be more active with. Also the last couple years I have really withdrawn from family and friends because of the way I feel with being overweight. I don't feel good' date=' I feel as if the life has been sucked right out of me. I'm trying so hard to get my family on board and tell them how I feel but I haven't had any luck with them supporting me as of yet. I feel like unless you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes then you have no room to judge. I'm not gonna stop trying to get them on my side, hopefully they see the light! I have found this site to be so positive and I feel like we all can relate to each other. I have kind of been all over the place with this thread but I feel better getting it all out:)[/quote']

I agree, it can be really hard to explain to those who haven't been through it themselves. While my family is UN-supportive, they're a bit skeptical. Thankfully they don't say anything negative, but sometimes I can sense the thoughts!

Only you know what's right for your health, and if this is the right decision for you. There will be moments of self-doubt, and the first week/few weeks after surgery can lead to some serious 'WTF did I just do?!?' moments, but it gets SO much better! Once you start losing, and feeling better and HEALTHIER, you'll be glad you made the decision!

Hang in there, this is a long journey - and remember, we're here for you!

Oops, I meant to say my family is NOT un-supportive!

Good luck, nd I mimic what others have said...UK what's good for u, UK what uve been going threw for 12 yrs now, nd if they love u, they'll support YOUR DECISION, altho they may not like it. But I agree that u keep talking to them bc it will affect them and u have kids, but the ultimate decision is urs. :)) Dee Dee

My BMI was only 39, but I have 3 major co- morbidities. Several people said to me that the didn't think of me as fat -- but I always felt like the fattest person in the room. So I lead my explanation of my decision to have WLS with the out of control diabetes and high blood pressure. And, after that I really don't care what people think.

Cdunn - It's like I was reading my own story! I too have two kids.....wishing I could do more with them. I've also struggled with my weight my entire life. I use to tell myself, "I'm chunky but healthy!" "I'm not going to be one of those people that counts calories and eats like a bird. I'm gonna eat what I want, when I want!" But what I didn't see was that I was not living. I was not enjoying life and all it offers.....especially being more active with my kids. My BMI is not as high as others.....it's 37.5. And I too had a few people say, "you're not fat! You don't need surgery!" But when you've tried everything and its been a daily struggle ever since you can remember and it interferes with your life as a mother........you do need it! You need it for YOU! For your kids! To live longer, live healthier! I'm very happy to say that I began this journey 2 months ago and just this past week, I was approved for surgery! It still feels surreal. I'm blessed to have supportive people in my life. Very happy I found this forum. So keep your head up! Do this for you! For your kids! Who cares what everybody else thinks. You have my support and everyone else here!