Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation 7 weeks past surgery, can you help?

Hi,

I have a vacation planned for 2 weeks in August and will be mostly in hotel and resort the entire time. My doc says its still mushy stage (ugh, I though that would have been done 6 weeks post op). Since I won't be cooking and mostly eating out, what are some suggestions?

Has anyone done a vacation this soon out? Any advice would be appreciated so I can prepare and not be stuck.

that's excessive. The only food I wasn't allowed to eat at 6 weeks out were nuts, salad and fibrous fruit veggies- pineapple, celery, ect. Otherwise I was on a normal diet by that point!

I am 7 weeks out and am on a regular diet. I took a vacation at 4 weeks out, I drank ALOT of milk, but I was able to eat eggs at Breakfast or yogurt. Soup at resturants and I did try some shrimp and took lots of my own high Protein food from my doctors office. My mother in law was concerned that I was going to get sick but I didn't have any problems. However bring your gas x just in case.

I travel all the time and eat out even when I am home. Restaurants are very cooperative. It you ask for plain, grilled chicken or fish, with a baked or mashed potatoes you should be fine. Soups are generally available, and scrambled eggs and cottage cheese go down really easy. Just concentrate on the Protein and getting in your liquids.

I found out something else when going out with friends and co-workers: I actually enjoy my friends more when I am not obsessed with the food. While they stuff their faces with chips and salsa, since I know it is not an option for me, I don't obsess over it. I can sit back and converse with people. Hope that helps you get through your vacation.

While I haven't been on a vacation lately, I do have a few ideas that might help.

Since Protein and Water should be your main concern.....call ahead to the resort/hotel, tell them you take medication that needs to be refrigerated, and would it be possible to get a room with a fridge? If that's not an option pack one of those collapsible coolers that are like a large insulated sack lunch type. This is to put ice in. A microwave would be great also.

On the way to the resort stop and buy, or pack in your luggage (depending on where your going) RTD Protein shakes, or Protein powder, yogurt, string cheese, SF pudding, etc. Also unjury chicken broth is always a good go to. And if it's convenient a case of Water, so you'll never be with out it, and some SF water flavoring like crystal light or Mio.

You'll be surprised at how many softer foods you can mash the hell out of and be able to eat. Just chew, chew, chew. :D

Enjoy you vacation.

Sherri

I have been eating in restaurants since week 2. They are very accommodating and you should find a lot of foods that you can eat. I am on week 5 and eating everything at this point so I am not sure why you are still on mushy foods. However, listen to your doctor. I am leaving for Key West on Thursday and will do some cooking and plenty of restaurant eating. Have a great trip!!

To me.. Mushy means anything you can mush. Which means a lot of foods out there are mushable.

If you can smash it with a fork.. It's mushy ;D

To me.. Mushy means anything you can mush. Which means a lot of foods out there are mushable.

If you can smash it with a fork.. It's mushy ;D

Hey, that was basically how it was put to me at my Dr. appointment earlier this week. When I start soft foods I might want to be somewhat cautious and start slowly to avoid an upset tummy, but other than the stuff I'm told to specifically avoid, if it smooshes with a fork it's fair game for me to try it.

He did say I'd probably run into stuff I'm not quite ready for and aren't comfortable yet, but just come back to them again in a few weeks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST