Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who got pregnant after wls.

How old were you when you had wls?

How old were you when you got pregnant?

My dr. Says I have plenty of time to have a baby but I don't feel like I do. I feel like time is running out. I'm only 30 (31 in nov. ). I'm having the sleeve done August 5 as a tool to fight infertility.

I feel like I'm running out of time too! I turned 30 in may 2013. My surgeon said wait 2 years which would put me at 32 before I start trying. Hopefully it won't take a lot of trying before the bun is in the oven :-/

I had my surgery at 30. 31 now and 5mos preg w twins :)

Congrats! Did you take fertility drugs or does twins run in the family?

I have never tried to get preggo before but I know I didn't want to have a baby at this weight

Congrats! Did you take fertility drugs or does twins run in the family?

I have never tried to get preggo before but I know I didn't want to have a baby at this weight

No drugs. Twins run in my family. I actually found out I was pregnant in early feb and miscarried feb 15th had my period the following week then found out early March I was pg again. Everything happens for a reason. I had never gotten pregnant before so I'm very excited that I'm 5mos now. Super excited!!

That's awesome. I'm happy for you girl!

I was 29 when I had WLS and we chose to have another child...well, exactly a year ago! I got pregnant on 5 July 2013, so when I was 31 years old.

Honestly, unless you have a very good reason to believe your fertility is in some way compromised try to relax and focus on learning the sleeve and your new life first.

I was one of the youngest women at our clinic (we did suffer from infertility, almost entirely due to male factor, though) and even when I was getting regular 'ole prenatal care I was still one of the youngest ladies each time. Women are waiting longer and longer to have children - my peer group (should I say our peer group, because I'm only a few years older than you) is just now starting to have kids.

If you have PCOS, losing weight is definitely going to help with insulin resistance and with regulating your hormones. Focus on one hurdle at a time - you're definitely not too old to have children!

~Cheri

Thanks for replying.

We've been trying for a baby for 7 years, small problems on both sides that lead to big problems when put together. PCOS and endo on my side. I know they say women are waiting longer, but when does it become too late?

I'm really really counting on this to work.

I had my surgery at 30. 31 now and 5mos preg w twins :)

Fantastic! Congrats!!

Please, have the surgery, learn to work your sleeve and then get pregnant. I am an old Mom - menopause and the teenage years together anyone? I was 31 when I had my 1st and 33 when I had my second. Women are waiting longer these days and it's possible!!

Thanks for replying.

We've been trying for a baby for 7 years, small problems on both sides that lead to big problems when put together. PCOS and endo on my side. I know they say women are waiting longer, but when does it become too late?

I'm really really counting on this to work.

Then in your case I'd give the surgery a SOLID year and then start TTC. And that means working your Buns off that whole year, getting labs done at 6 and 12 months to check your levels, taking a chewable prenatal the entire time, getting your B12, Iron and folic acid up to speed. No reason NOT to take all of that for the year up to TTC as you know.

By one year out, or by 70% excess weight lost, I'd talk to your doc about TTC. You have confirmed a fertility issue just by TTC more than one year without success. Has anyone run a full panel on you and on your partner? I ask because we TTC for four years and were told repeatedly that our only issue was my weight and endo and despite the fact that they did several hormone panels on me and the fact that I was tracking my fertility and using a BBT each day, they implied that I wasn't ovulating. Well, I was, actually - and on a "perfect" 28 day cycle, endo be damned. In any case, after years of the "just lose weight and your fertility will be all better" talks, we finally had a doctor willing to check my husband's sperm count. Oh, lo and behold! We had count, motility and morphology problems and he got a diagnosis of antisperm antibodies.

See, those years of TTC those doctors looked at him and because he had previous children, assumed he had no issues. And they looked at me, overweight with a tipped uterus and endo and blamed my size.

So make sure that you're working with a compassionate, caring and openminded reproductive endocrinologist!

Lecture over.

In any case, many women report that their fertility increases as they lose weight and over the last four years I have seen any number of "Oops I'm pregnant!" posts by women that had previously TTC and had no success or by women that were even told by their doctors that they couldn't get pregnant without assistance.

Keep your hopes up - you really do have plenty of time.

~Cheri

Edit: Clearly I shouldn't get on VST before my morning coffee - I see you confirmed you both have small issues and I missed that and rambled on. Sorry! In any case, see if the surgery and loss helps. If not, there is help out there that can help you conceive!

Great advice Cheri!

My husband and I have been TTC for four years without success. It was one of the major reasons for having the sleeve surgery two days ago. Husband's numbers are fine, I'm not dx with endo or PCOS or anything like that. Doctors wouldn't do IVF at my weight, we were even open to looking at adoption and many countries have a max weight limit for adoptive parents now! I decided it was better for my health and my baby's health to get me healthy first, then TTC again. I just turned 34 and my doctor wanted me to wait 1 1/2 years after surgery, but I told him "I'm 34 and I want to have three kids- one year wait is all I will agree to" and they were ok with that- just not any shorter time frame! So now I have an exciting year to take care of myself and then, God willing, a baby in one form or another! It took my mom 10 years to get pregnant from when she started TTC in her early 20's , so I'm not too thrilled by that precedent. But my doctor says fertility goes very high after sleeve surgery, so we'll see! Good luck to all you TTC sleevers out there!

I'm 34 & 3-1/2 mo post-op. We have talked about TTC no earlier than December 2013, but if it didn't happen before He's 40 (he's turning 38 this Friday) then we'll probably just forget it. I have 2 sons from a previous marriage & he has none of his own. All my friends are still childless, so I'd say age really is less of a concern as far as "making it happen".

Had my surgey Oct.9.2012 and I was 21..... I just found out im pregnant today and im 22!!!! couldn't be more excited!!!! :D