Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein, and amount of food

Hi everyone! I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and I've got a few questions...

1. I have had it with my Protein Shakes. I have tried different kinds and have a hard time drinking anything other than Water. Is there anyone that doesn't get a lot of Protein in and what are the effects of not getting enough every day?

2. I have just been put on a soft diet and I am supposed to be eating 4 tsps. per meal. What is everyone elses experience with this. I know some of you are still on pureed at this point, but those of you that aren't, how much can you eat?

Please help!

Thanks!!

Hmmm...I'm almost 4 weeks out, but have been able to get down my Protein shakes, Greek yogurt, etc. pretty well - perhaps I'm not much help. Have you googled "Protein shake recipes?" There are some great ideas for making deLISH Protein Shakes in your blender - I find that adding ice, some flavorings, milk, etc. are the key to keeping it up!

As for soft/puree foods, the amount I eat depends on what I'm eating, what else I've eaten in the day, etc. If your doctor is directing you to only eat 4t/meal, stick with that. I can eat (and do) much more than that, but the advice from my doctor was to listen to my body and do what I feel I can tolerate.

Lucky you, being on soft foods! I'm 2 weeks out & was just moved from clears to full liquids today. I had grits for dinner & was able to consume a cup over about an hour. I won't move to purees for 2 more weeks, but I've heard that the denser the food, the less we can consume. Have you tried putting unflavored Protein Powder in thick purees? When I get to that stage, I have thought of trying sweet potato, carrot, cauliflower (sub for mashed potatoes), pumpkin, even applesauce with either vanilla or unflavored Protein mixed in.

Hi everyone! I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and I've got a few questions...

1. I have had it with my Protein shakes. I have tried different kinds and have a hard time drinking anything other than Water. Is there anyone that doesn't get a lot of Protein in and what are the effects of not getting enough every day?

2. I have just been put on a soft diet and I am supposed to be eating 4 tsps. per meal. What is everyone elses experience with this. I know some of you are still on pureed at this point, but those of you that aren't, how much can you eat?

Please help!

Thanks!!

I had two goals, lose weight and don't lose my hair!! I accomplished both, praise God!!! Eat protein or losing your hair will be out of your control....from what I understand. I hated Protein Shakes, I tried four different ones prior to surgery.....ick, ick and triple ick!!! After surgery, it took me three hours to get MOST of one down. It kept "growing" because I kept adding ice when it would melt and get warm. A vicious cycle. I switched to the protein shots/bullets. Some say they're not as good, well, my hair never even thinned out, so I call it good. They taste just as bad, but they are only 3.5 oz and pack 43 grams of protein. I'd take a few sips in the morning, hold your nose and rinse your mouth out after the sips, just like a kid taking yucky medicine. I'd do a few more sips at lunch and then finish it off in the evening. Between that and two cups of milk a day, 9 grams each, I was doing good. Everything else was icing on the cake. I got mine at GNC, blue raspberry was the least offensive to me. Good luck!!!!

I eat teaspoon of yogurt and cottage cheese. Some times I sprinkle a little bit of non-flavored Protein on top for a little bit of extra Protein. I also a do soft scrambles egg. I couple this with my Protein drinks.

I totally appreciate the disgust with your protein drinks! Now that I'm adding some real food into the mix, I find that the shakes aren't so bad.

My doctor told me that after my surgery (when I get home from the hospital) that I can move to full liquids **if i can tolerate them** what is the best advice that you guys can provide on Protein Shakes and what I should purchase and stock up on before heading to the hospital?? I just had my surgery scheduled for 16 Sept!!! So excited!! :)