Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Cardio?

I'm 5 weeks post op and really trying to do everything I can for my body right now. I've started working out 4-5 nights a week and slowly building my endurance back up and work on getting in shape. To start I could only do 30mins and tonight I hit 45mins. I'd like to keep building till I get to 60 mins but I know I need to start adding strength training in. My typical cardio consist of spinning, elliptical, and lap swim.

Is this ok for right now? At what point should I add in strength training?

Thanks!

I started doing cardio at 4 weeks (biking, walking and swimming) and my doctor gave me the okay to add weights at 6 weeks ( moderate weight, no power lifting! LOL). I'm 8 weeks and 47 lbs. down...haven't had any problems yet.

Awesome! Thanks for the info and yeah... I don't plan to ever power lift. ;) but I would like to start toning over time.

I'm about 4 months out and 80 lbs down I do 3 or 4 days of strength training and 1 or 2 of cardio and then only about 25 minutes. I'm trying to build muscle and cardio is not good for that.

I, too, was cleared for strength training at 6 weeks...I like one of the other comments about strength training/toning 4 days a week with more limited cardio sessions. I think we too often default to cardio instead of strength training because it is "easier" and we feel like we know how to do it. However, the more muscle you have, the leaner you are overall and your body will burn more calories at rest.

However, I do think it is great that you mix up your cardio routines... You will see better results if you keep your body guessing on what muscles you will work ....our bodies naturally want to find homeostasis, which, with exercise means that your body will antidote what is coming and it won't be as effective.

Interesting but I find strength training so much more enjoyable and 'easier' than my cardio sessions, which include high intensity intervals at least an hour and really pushing myself. I think adding in a strength training class or video 2-3 times a week is a great approach...in addition to your cardio.

Good luck!

Not antidote ...anticipate. Damn auto correct.