Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger pains?

So, I am 2 days away from being 8 months out, I'm down 90 pounds and working my way to goal. My issue is a fairly recent change for me. I have begun to feel hunger again, and not a little like. '..hhhmmm...maybe I'm hungry...', but really serious 'I'm going to eat ANYTHING, FEED ME' kind of hunger. It is almost a burning, achy feeling in my tummy. This usually starts late afternoon around 3:00 if I have accidentally skipped my 2:00 'meal'. It only takes a few bites of something usually to make the pains subside, but I will get this again in the late evening around 8:00-9:00 sometimes as well. Is this real hunger? Is my grehlin production up? I was a lucky sleever that felt zero hunger after surgery so far. Do I need to start taking a PPI? I would consult my NUT or Dr. but I am a Mexico sleever, so I sadly have no one to turn to for guidance aside from you all. Has anyone else experienced this so late out? It's odd to me to have this 'hungry' pain starting now, anything I can do about it besides eat a few bites to subdue it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

You say it's a "burning achy feeling," could it be heartburn?

Have you increased your physical activity at all? My hunger has never completely gone away like some people, but when I work out I get hungry sooner than usual (say every 2 hours in between some meals instead of 3). If you have a vigorous workout your body might need more fuel?

Just some guesses...

not heartburn, it doesn't really 'work' its way up my esophogus. I've had heartburn before, this just stays in the pit of my stomach. I've not really done anything different, have not increased or decreased my activity level. Maybe I need to bring my meal times closer together for a bit? As I mentioned, it does get better with just a bite or two of food.< /p>

Are you taking a PPI like nexium? This sounds like excess acid. Check with your doctor.

It could be acid, it might be worth checking into. But it could also be genuine hunger. For a lot of people, hunger does return. I am over 2.5 years post op and I get hungry. I wouldn't say it was the same as before surgery, but if I have gone a long time without anything to eat, I feel it!

I would go see your PCP for this. People that are sleeved in Mexico can see their PCP here is the states for follow up. May be really important to have them run some lab tests for Vitamin levels etc.

Do get labs run, just because. I was sleeve in MX and put off my labs and once I had them past one year out, I was seriously deficient in Iron and B12. The supplements for those two things changed my life and I went from kinda dragging like a zombie to feeling really good again. I hadn't even realized how bad things were because it was my every day.

And try a PPI, even if you don't think it's acid. I still get the occasional run where I need a PPI for a while and it feels exactly like hunger pangs. The stomach will growl and everything but it's just acid and if I take my pill it will quiet down and I'll feel better. More than half the time I have a problem, I never feel any burning or acid in my throat. It's different than it was in the beginning.

If you want to move your meals around, do it. I still eat small meals and Snacks all day long rather than eating three main meals.

~Cheri

See a doctor. And start a PPI. It kind of sounds like it could be an ulcer...ever have a problem with that in the past?

Ulcers in your duodenum (the first part of your intestines, connected to your stomach) feel the way you describe and get better when you eat. A PPI is how they are generally treated, that and checking for h pylori.

I should note the ulcer is the 'worst case scenario'. It is more likely hunger or heartburn! Didn't want to alarm you