Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux

Guest mack

Hi,

I'm new to this board, so bear with me. I have had my band almost 2 years and am now suffering from very bad acid reflux but only after being in bed several hours. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,

Mack

Mack when was the last time you ate anything? I have been told if there is food still left in the pouch at bedtime or when you lay down it can cause heartburn or reflux when you lie down. I usually every night before bed drink a 20oz glass of Water to make sure my pouch is emptied and clear of any food.( yes I pee alot the first few hours ) but it is worth it to not have reflux. Do you just notice it when you are lying down? When was your last fill? Could it be you have too much of a fill? I have yet to have reflux or heartburn but I'm still newly banded just 3 months out with only 1 fill. Just my thoughts..

Hi Mack. I have only had my band a few months so I could not tell you much. But it could be that your acid reflux is totally not band related. Please give us more information about your self like how much weight you have lost and what you eat. Best wishes to you... Janie

You might want to get someone to elevate your headboard with some blocks. This hopefully will help you. Lying flat, any reflux just goes up your esophagus. It's very painful and can be very damaging. An endoscope will verify if you do have reflux. There are RXs available if your change of habits, not being overfilled, raising your headboard, etc. doesn't help.

Mack-

Sorry to hear your having some issues...

But- GO TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!

Acid reflux should ALWAYS be checked out with your doctor. It could be absolutely nothing, but it could be something, too.

Let us know what you find out!

Megan

I agree with Megan. If you've had a sudden onset of reflux at night. This could be several things. Most importantly, when was your last flouro or Upper GI to make sure all is well with your band?

If all that's been 'ok'd, then maybe your last fill is too tight? Or maybe you've gotten a hiatal hernia? Or maybe you just need to be taking Nexium or some type of GERD medication for a while.

As always, any change like this would definitely warrant calling your doctor. Just to be safe.

Please let us know what you find out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches