Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do most people have drains?

It varies by surgeon, like a lot (seriously, a LOT) of things about WLS.

My surgeon used to use them but apparently doesn't use them much at all anymore, along with Foley catheters.

My surgeon used one, I was not a fan. It's an extra precaution.

For me the drain was the worst part of recovery. I had it in for a week and was scared that I was going to pull it out in my sleep. I will add that I VERY squimish.

I just had my drain removed yesterday and I feel like a new woman. My drain had a safety pin on the plastic loop clip part. My hospital gave me a lanyard and told me to clip it to the lanyard when showering. I clipped it to my pants or shirt to get through the days. I swear it was like instant recovery when they removed it. I can even eat and drink more now. It gets better.

I just had my drain removed yesterday and I feel like a new woman. My drain had a safety pin on the plastic loop clip part. My hospital gave me a lanyard and told me to clip it to the lanyard when showering. I clipped it to my pants or shirt to get through the days. I swear it was like instant recovery when they removed it. I can even eat and drink more now. It gets better.

Got mine out today. You were exactly right about the feeling, I feel set free! The lanyard was a great idea. I finally figured out to take one of my rubber band type head band and put it around my neck and pinned it while I was in the shower. I just safety pinned it to my underwear the rest of the time. Came home and put on some comfy/stretchy shorts that came in (Zulily) since my surgery. Feeling spunky!!!

Bless your heart if you had to have the drain for two weeks. I know that had to be aggravating.

I do not know what the hell all your surgeons were doing to you all! I had no drain or foley. I am a nurse and understand the reason for the drain for 1 or 2 days not 2weeks! God bless you all

My was draining 50-60cc every 24 hrs, they wouldn't pull it until the output was under 30cc every 24 hrs for 3 days. I felt soooo free when it was removed..

I didn't have one either.

I had one while in the hospital, but they took it out before I was discharged.

I do not know what the hell all your surgeons were doing to you all! I had no drain or foley. I am a nurse and understand the reason for the drain for 1 or 2 days not 2weeks! God bless you all

I only had mine (drain) for a week. I believe I would have had to be dragged out of there if the Dr said it couldn't come out!

Catheter was removed day after surgery once leak test came back ok...drained removed day 2 just before discharge

I had a train and then they discovered my leak Because of the it. Thank goodness. Had it removed one month out. I am four months out now.