Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk me OFF my eating ledge! Help? :-)

I'm 9 days post op, and starting to eat things I shouldn't! I am supposed to be on 2 weeks of liquids, cream Soups and yogurt are allowed. The first week I did strictly broths and Water, Protein Shakes. Then slowly started with yogurt and cream soups thinned with milk. Now in the last 2 days I have been slowly trying other soft foods. They are going down fine, no pain, nothing bad happening. But in the back of my mind I know I am not supposed to start soft foods for another 5 days. So far I have had a bite of mashed potatoes, a few tablespoons chili mushed up into very thin consistency, a small piece of cheese that I sucked on until it was liquid. I know I shouldn't, so why cant I say no!?! I'm not hungry, no hunger at all, I just feel like I should eat something that isn't chicken broth!

KNOCK IT OFF!! I think the best way to look at this time right after surgery is that it's NOT A DIET. It is a slow progression back to "real" food to let your stomach heal! It was cut and burned off then stapled back together. And things won't hurt right now because most likely it is still numb and swollen. Be good to yourself! Give yourself time :)

The time to start conditioning yourself to say no to things you shouldn't have is now. You trusted your doctor to slice you open and take out a perfectly good stomach (ok 85%) why, why, why would you NOT follow instructions now?

You will hear others say that their doc allowed different things. Your doctor told you to wait 5 more days. Not judging or meaning to lecture, but like Laura said, you are numb and swollen. You even said you are not hungry. I wish I could remember which vet I'm quoting here, but you had surgery on your stomach, not your head. You need to get yourself to a place where you don't let your head win out over what is best for you. You can say no. You just have to commit to it.

Don't be a test case here, follow what your doctor laid out.

It will get easier, stay strong.

Listen to the ladies - you don't want complications that could have been avoided. It's good that you reached out for help, but get on here BEFORE you put something in your mouth

I totally get where you are coming from. I am also 9 days out and am bored with what I'm having now. I think that is the most powerful thing to overcome. Like you said, I'm not hungry, I'm just bored with my current selection. It's hard, but I'm going to stick it out for another 5 days until I meet with my NUT. Stay strong! We can do it!! :)

Habits are hard, if we were good at breaking habits most likely we wouldn't need the surgery in the first place. You know what helped me a lot? sugar free popcicles. It counted as liquid which helped me with that intake and it took some time to finish it so it kept my mouth busy. I'm bad with trigger foods. Some things I just cant have near me. At all. If cheese is yours, get it out of the house. I don't know if it will help or not, but don't think of it as you are doing your normal "cheating" as well did on diets. This is a medical thing, and you don't want to risk any chance that you are damaging anything. For some reason things got easier for me after two weeks or so. At first I craved things, I wasn't hungry just wanted comfort food because I didn't feel good. It went away for me though in time. Perhaps call your doc and tell him/her about your struggles and see if he/she has any ideas :) Hang in there......as someone told me last week when I was downing goldfish crackers like a machine......YOU CAN DO THIS!

I was sleeved on the 11 th I completely feel you. There are so many things I would love to eat. I see things on TV that I would never eat in a million years that just look so tasty to me. But when I start to think those thoughts I grab a Popsicle or make a sugar free sno cone and read a book or something to take my mind off the food cause as we all know its not cause we are hungry. Good luck it will get better.

It's for the safety of your new stomach. I know it sucks but this phase will pass very soon!