Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Signs posted at border warning away Americans to Mexico?

Three coworkers just returned from San Diego and said there were signs posted at the border warning Americans it is unsafe to travel to Mexico right now. Any recent sleevers see anything like that?

I was there a few weeks ago. I didn't see anything. I'm a travel agent. Believe me, I researched this. It's still on the govt website, but it hasn't been updated in some time. We had no problems or saw anything at all.

San Diego isn't that close to the border crossing. You have To travel several miles to even see the border. Are you sure the co workers were accurate in what they were telling you?

I am not a Mexico pt. but I know there has been an uprise in crime against Americans in Mexico . My husband is Active Duty Military and they have been advised against traveling to border towns.We currently live in TX

Border towns in TX are different than TJ Medical Tourism border. I too, wouldn't go to the TX/MX border at this time.

OP, perhaps your coworkers were attempting to dissuade you from going.

the crime rate has been reduced drastically in the boarder towns. Now Juarez (sp) is one place I would not go to....just my opinion form research.

There has been no update to the US department of state website.. The advisory to Northern Baja California (mexicali/Tijuana) Is to exercise caution especially at night, but it does not advise against travel there. I would think that updating their website would be easier than posting signs in SanDiego... My guess would be that, the signs were posted by a private party who feels Tijuana is unsafe.

And TJ could post the same about parts of San Deigo, too. Lol

And TJ could post the same about parts of San Deigo, too. Lol

No doubt... I live in Harrisburg, PA... I felt WAY safer in the area of TJ where the hospital/hotel is than I do in parts of Harrisburg!

They said they wanted to go to TJ for the day, but were dissuaded by signs. Maybe they were advising them against going out at night, like stated in a post above and they decided to turn back. They were clucky old women, sometimes they might exaggerate a bit or blow things out of proportion. :)

My first thought was "but people are still getting surgery there an posting to VST!" I knew if I came here I could find someone there, as we speak, or recently there. Thanks for replying.

Btw, these particular busybody coworkers know I am going to Tijuana but do not know why.

I honestly do not believe there is any such sign. I have been to TJ over 5x in the past few years and have never seen such a thing. Our state department would not allow that type of fear mongering against a country who we do trade with.

*smh*

My daughter and I felt no threat and had a blast. We stayed extra time so we could enjoy some R&R.. Loved it and look forward to returning