Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

So I had my surgery on June 10th. Everything has been going fine except I have this huge rash that covers my entire stomach, around to my sides and spreading lower. I noticed it about 3 days ago and for the most part it didn't bother me that much until last night when the itching was horrible! I haven't taken any pain meds since Friday night. I initially thought it might have been from the oxycodone, but it should be getting better if I haven't been taking it, not worse. I sent a message to my MD and the nurse suggests to start taking Benadryl first to see if that helps. Just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them.

I have a rash that popped up all over my arms. It itches like crazy! Not sure if it's the same sort of thing. Did yours clear up? I'll probably be headed to the doc tomorrow.

I had a similar sounding rash a few weeks after my surgery. I have lupus so wasn't sure what was causing the rash. It was allergic looking. I took a steroid dose pack and Benadryl and hydroxyzine and that cleared it up. I find doctors don't know anything about rashes and most will go away on their own!

Yes! It is allergic looking but I have no idea what from. The only thing I had differently yesterday was an Atkins bar.

When I went to my follow up appt with my PCP, my Dr. thought it was a contact dermatitis. I met with my surgeon Tuesday and he said sometimes people get reactions from the stuff they put on your stomach to help some of the bandages stick.

I was sleeved the 10th as well. I itched like you wouldn't believe!!! Also had a bad rash from all the scratching. NOTHING helped so the nurse took off my surgical tape and my general practitioner doc gave me a steroid shot of prednazone. Haven't itched since.

Nurse thinks it's a soy allergy which I didn't have before. I took some benadryl and the itching went down immediately and the redness went down. Turns out it wasn't a rash but hives.

I had the same thing- a rash over my entire stomach, down into my groin area, and around my sides. Itched like MAD. My Dr. told me to take Benadryl and gave me a hydrocortisone cream, it helped, but it didn't completely stop the itching. However, a few hours after my last dose of Roxicet the itching stopped. So I know it was some sort of reaction to the Roxicet which I had been taking around the clock for the first few days.

Hi all' date='

So I had my surgery on June 10th. Everything has been going fine except I have this huge rash that covers my entire stomach, around to my sides and spreading lower. I noticed it about 3 days ago and for the most part it didn't bother me that much until last night when the itching was horrible! I haven't taken any pain meds since Friday night. I initially thought it might have been from the oxycodone, but it should be getting better if I haven't been taking it, not worse. I sent a message to my MD and the nurse suggests to start taking Benadryl first to see if that helps. Just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them.[/quote']

I had similar rash 3 days after surgery. Called office and got covering Dr. She decided it could be from liquid version of Vitamins I had tried and told me not to take anymore. . . However, I have had odd med reactions before and I still think it was from surgical or post op meds / or possibly surgical materials. Had a prescription cream at home from a different reaction and used that on it and it cleared right up. If not for that cream, I definitely would have gone to see Dr at office.

I had a similar rash post-op and when I mentioned it to my NUT she suggested it might be a whey allergy and had me switch to another Protein Powder (Jay Robb egg white) and the rash went away. Could have been a coincidence, but worth asking about.

I had the same thing. Nurse coordinator said it was probably an allergic reaction to an ingredient ( dye?) In the chewable Multivitamin I had started 48 hrs before. Took liquid children's benadryl every 3 hrs, a 10mg zyrtec once a day and calamine lotion topically for four days. Cleared right up, but thinking about it makes me itch a little again lol!

So many speculate. I had the same thing. Eventually went away and it wasn't an allergic reaction to anything. I think it is associated w the rapid weight loss. Funny that it happens to so many people and yet the doctors haven't connected the dots.

I've had 3 surgeries and I develop a rash every time. This time though is the worst. I've broke out all over my thighs, stomach and arms. Benadryl and cortisone cream is the only thing helping it. I'm thinking it's the anesthesia.

So many speculate. I had the same thing. Eventually went away and it wasn't an allergic reaction to anything. I think it is associated w the rapid weight loss. Funny that it happens to so many people and yet the doctors haven't connected the dots.

I know! So many answers to the same problem. Who knows, I'm just glad it's gone! :D

I took my kiddo to doc today so I asked her about my arms since it was flaring up again (RN from bariatric clinic thought it was a soy allergy). She said it was a burn :( She asked what medicine I was on and I told her and she said the Omeprazole is the culprit! So I called the clinic back and told them what she said and the RN had no idea that the meds could react to the sun that way. She'll be talking to the doc and calling me on Monday about it.

*Obviously no blood work done but she did rule out it being a "rash" or "hives"