Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating? Is it worth the risk?

Hello All,

I am relatively new to this whole forum thing, but I thought I'd give it a try. I was banded on 12/14/06, and have had the hardest time resisting solid foods! It started with an innocent cheez-it which I suck and nibbled til it was basically paste.. this lead to other things such as flake meat (chicken) and then the smallest nibble of fudge (heck it was Christmas after all). Someone on here had also cheated in their first weeks and felt like a failure... I don't really feel that way, and its not like I am over doing it... just a nibble here and there maybe once a day. How will I know if I have done damage to my band? I see the doctor this Friday 12/29, should I tell her I cheated?

Ugh... so frustrating! :help:

If you are asking if you have done damage to your band, only your Dr. will know that. Most likely if you are not in pain, you are fine.

I have never understood while people go thru this whole ordeal of surgery and don't obey their Dr.'s rules. If your Dr. said you can eat what you are, then you are find and shouldn't worry. If your Dr. said otherwise, then you need to stick with the Dr.'s orders so you do not hurt yourself.

If you are asking if you have done damage to your band, only your Dr. will know that. Most likely if you are not in pain, you are fine.

I have never understood while people go thru this whole ordeal of surgery and don't obey their Dr.'s rules. If your Dr. said you can eat what you are, then you are find and shouldn't worry. If your Dr. said otherwise, then you need to stick with the Dr.'s orders so you do not hurt yourself.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm not a big believer in will-power. However, you must get control over what you're doing. You made a commitment to make a change and now you're finding a way to cheat around it.

I am going to be a little nicer I am 10 days post op and starving

I think some forget how it feels to have no restriction having said that my doc said to me today if u would not eat it in front of me don't do it

now i ate one cheez it too by accident because i forgot i was banded and did no damage my doc laughed about it just tell your doc she will be less hard on you than most other bandsters

What was I thinking to get banded around xmas time!! I beleive the diet to be harder than the surgery!!

I too have cheated - and feel badly about it! It is soooo hard to stay motivated during this time of year. I feel like I need a kick in the rear from the troops!

I've been banded since 12/1 and did well in the first couple weeks. I lost 10 pounds - however, I am afraid that I've had some set backs with sugar.

Any words of encouragement out there??

Thank you!!!!

It takes a lot of willpower and dedication. It was pure torture for me on Xmas day when everyone was eating the dinner that I helped prepare and I was sipping on broth. I had to do a lot of praying and a lot of talking myself out of trying anything. As hard as it was it would have been worse if I had tasted food that I couldn't have....never liked being teased...hang in there guys...can't change what's done..everyday is a new day...just try to commit yourselves to a fresh start and pray a lot

I was banded on 12/13/06 with what I was told was the biggest band they have due to my stomach size and thickness. With this big band and no fill, I have had minimal restriction. I have been able to eat solid foods since about 10 days post op. My doctor said that I could eat solid foods as soon as I could tolerate them. So, in answer to your question, I have certainly "cheated" especially on Christmas but I did not experience any negative side effects from doing so other than hiccups if I eat too fast. I am getting back on track now though because I have to prepare for my first fill on 1/16/07, after that I know I will be more restricted and I will have to watch more carefully what I eat. Don't beat yourself up over a cheese it. It is hard to know what is safe since it seems like everyone's doctor on this board has given different post-op diet instructions.

oh cuddlebug we have all been there! me perhaps more than others. I will say what I always say to myself...one day at a time. there is always tomorro. I have so called 'cheated' heaps (although cheating post lapband is far different from cheating prelapband) however, so far so good am still loosing weight and still feeling no negative affects to my band. I am a calculated cheater though! I think...if I eat this I will probably have to do a 10k walk tomorro! let me tell you sometimes that alone is more than enough to stop me from doing it!!!

Best wishes.

:bananapartyhat: becky

I just want to say that I have not forgotten how hungry I got, but I just kept on following my Dr.'s rules. I didn't eat a solid food one until my 4 week period was up.

Sorry, I didn't waste my time and money to sabotage myself.

Keep strong and let your Dr. know you are hungry and do as they say. If you are overweight enough to have surgery, I seriously doubt you will starve to death. I always told myself that. Find something else to do to get your mind off of the food. Watch a movie, take a walk, go shopping. Just do anything to get away from the temptations.

Don't beat yourself up. You are human. We all cheat here and there. It's not an overnight change. It took us years to get overweight. Just because you have a band on your stomach does not mean you will suddenly not want to eat anymore. There is head work to do as well. You need to follow your doctor's rules for the safety of healing your stomach. Think of it in that light instead of you can't eat it because you are on a diet. That is what helped me get through.

Yes, the beginning stage is hard but how upset would you be with yourself if something happened to your band because U did not follow your doctors instructions?

I don't think anyone is trying to be hard on U cause we all have been there but we must show some willpower or discipline in this journey. Beleive me, after reaching goal and having good restriction, it's still hard and I find myself going back to the basics all the time.

Don't look for the band to do everything because it won't, U do have to help. During this time, your body needs the time to heal that's why we're put on liquids. Please, please try to follow your doctor orders and if you can't then call him before you do something you may regret later.

Wishing you much success as you continue your lifestyle change.

Well thanks to all of you who resonded and made me feel like a complete failure! Yet again! Its not the will power I have a problem with, or healthy foods for that matter, its boredom with the same liquid foods day in and day out... I was merely looking for a new flavor.

And I didnt put myself through this to cheat... I plan on doing well for myself in the future, but when you can't drive for 2 weeks and your stuck drinking Isopure and banana Protein Shakes its bound to get a little hectic.

Thanks for everything.

bkwalling: thanks for understading.

I truly dont think anyone was trying to be mean or make you feel like a failure, but anyone that has researched the surgery, already gone through the post-op experience, and understands the importance of the healing period should not tell you that it is okay to eat (or nibble) on solids right now. The title you used implies that you know the risks. I know myself and many others probably did slip up, but that doesnt make it right. It would be irresponsible and uncaring for us to say "nibble on whatever you want, we know better than your doctor what is okay". To answer your original questions: I doubt you have done any damage but yes you need to tell your doctor you have been cheating. Maybe he can progress you to fuller liquids or suggest more filling choices that you can have during this stage. Look in the food forum. You might find some ideas for new or different things you can have to alleviate the boredom!

Cuddlebug,

Hang in there. It is hard in the beginning. The first stage is healing. The liquids then soft foods is to be easy on your stomach so it can heal. I doubt a bite or two will hurt you, but remember that it doesn't have to be painful to hurt your healing process. I felt like the liquid stage was harder than anything else for me. I was craving tuna salad of all things. I had it for Breakfast on the first day I could eat it. lol

Anyway... hang in there. It really does get better.