Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VerticalSleeveTalk Newsletter 06/15/2013

VerticalSleeveTalk Newsletter

Hey Sleevers!

Welcome to summer! We hope you’re looking forward to some well-deserved rest and relaxation, to an exciting vacation or to some extra time with friends and family. VerticalSleeveTalk.com is the happening place to be this summer, and we’re always delighted with the kindness, insights and chatter that our members bring to create this welcoming community! Here are the contents of this month’s newsletter:

Sleever Poll: Where Are You in Your Weight Loss Journey?

Member Spotlight: Meet M2G!

Summer Weight Loss: Tips to Help You Stay Focused!

Weight Loss Surgery Safety: Hydration in Summer

Things are heating up at VerticalSleeveTalk.com, so don’t miss a moment! Enjoy the newsletter, then head on over to the boards to talk about it – and whatever else is on your mind! Thousands of members are online, so come join the fun.

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder

VerticalSleeveTalk.com

Sleever Poll: Where Are You in Your Weight Loss Journey?

One of the great things about our community is that our members are all in different stages of their weight loss journeys. So, we’re curious – where are you in your journey?

• I’m still exploring my options for weight loss. I don’t know if weight loss surgery is right for me.

• I’m definitely going for bariatric surgery, but am not yet sure which type.

• I’m going for the sleeve and have set my surgery date (or am trying to get one set).

• I got my surgery already and am busy losing weight.

• I am within 15 pounds of goal weight or am already maintaining it!

• I am not a weight loss surgery patient, but am on VerticalSleeveTalk.com to support someone who is.

• Other.

Choose your answer and tell us more on the discussion boards using this link!

Member Spotlight: Meet M2G!

This month, our Member Spotlight is on M2G from Colorado. This busy print graphic artist and student struggled with her weight for 15 years with yo-yo dieting. She didn’t have high cholesterol or blood pressure, but got the sleeve because she was “sick and tired of being fat.” Still hesistant to share her starting weight, this 5’6” woman says she was closer to 300 pounds than 250. Her surgery was in July 2010 and she is at a comfortable, non-obese weight! She’s also proud of her husband who’s approaching his two-year sleeve anniversary!

M2G says that the biggest difference in her life has been how she feels about herself. She also appreciates the freedom that she has from not being “weighed down.” Now, she’s able to “do normal things” like climbing stairs and tying her shoes without thinking about them. Her great moments come from “not worrying about weight limits!!” She can go do whatever she wants now, such as sledding, going to Water and amusement parks and playing with her kids on the trampoline in the back yard. She also loves knowing that the clothes in her closet fit and look good, and that she doesn’t have to shop in the plus size section of the store. M2G is proud of her husband for getting off of his blood pressure medications after his surgery.

The daily grind has been one of M2G’s greatest challenges. She says that hearing people say that “this surgery isn’t a magic bullet” is one thing, while actually living the challenge is something else. She had to learn to make the best decisions for her weight and health instead of trying to justify a cookie or some cheesecake.

M2G says that from the beginning, she was grateful for the information she could get from VerticalSleeveTalk.com. Her surgeon was great but relatively new – M2G was only his 15th sleeve patient! As she says, “the forum was a lifesaver. Virtually “meeting” others who had been sleeved, and not only lived to tell about it but who also shared their experiences was so comforting.” She used it for reassurance that her symptoms were normal and also to get recipes and product ideas. Now, she takes comfort in knowing that the forums are always here if she needs them.

Her advice for others is that “the sleeve is a tool; use it wisely.” She suggests underfilling the sleeve rather than risking overfilling it. Nearly three years post-surgery, M2G still eats only 1,100 to 1,200 calories per day. She also reminds other sleevers that the journey “has no destination.” You always need to mindful of your diet, and the sleeve will help.

M2G, thanks for making time in your busy schedule to be in our Member Spotlight! Congratulations on looking great and on leading a healthier life with your husband!

Do you like learning more about our members? Help us keep the Member Spotlight feature going strong by nominating a member on our Member Spotlight forum. You can also nominate yourself! If you’re shy and don’t want to post on the forum, just send Alex Brecher a private message that you want to be in the spotlight. Thanks!

Summer Weight Loss: Tips to Help You Stay Focused!

You can get off track with your weight loss if you lose focus during the long, hot days of summer. This year’s New Year’s resolutions feel like ancient history; the city streets are emptier because children are out of school and people are out of town on vacation; and in June, the summer ahead seems limitless.

Don’t let the long, hot days of summer interfere with your weight loss. Here are a few tips to keep you on track.

• Set your goals. Make them specific and realistic, and work towards achieving them every day.

• Pick one or more events to “get in shape for,” and think about them as you’re sticking to your diet. An upcoming wedding, family reunion, vacation or summer party can keep you motivated.

• Stay positive. We can all feel a little bit down when it’s just too hot, but keep your eyes on the prize. Remind yourself to just take it a day at a time, and think how proud you’ll be at the end of summer when you’ve stuck to your diet.

• Reward yourself. An ice cream social isn’t the thing after weight loss surgery….but a trip to the beach can keep you cool. Pack a healthy lunch and hang out all day. Walking on the sand is a great workout!

• Go shopping. The air-conditioned mall lets you walk and window shop. It’s a great time to pick out your dream outfits so you can stay motivated to lose enough weight to fit into them!

• Don’t fight the heat – beat it! If it’s too hot, don’t exercise outside at high noon. Instead, keep to the cool hours of the early morning or late evening and drink plenty of Water. You can also avoid the intense heat by going to the air-conditioned gym, working out at home or walking laps at the mall.

• Go swimming. Many public pools open in summer, so use the opportunity to try a new activity if you’re not a regular swimmer the rest of the year. Walk or jog in the pool, swim laps or take a water aerobics class.

• Freeze diet iced tea, lemonade made with a sugar substitute (such as Splenda) or a low-calorie diet juice drink (such as diet Snapple) in ice cube trays. When you get a craving for something cold and sweet, don’t go for the ice cream. Instead, grab an ice cube and save hundreds of calories.

• Prepare your Protein ahead of time. It’s too hot to cook or bake frequently. Instead, make enough grilled chicken breast, hard-boiled eggs, and lean ground turkey for several servings. Refrigerate or freeze your Protein so it’s available whenever you need it without needing to turn on the oven or stove.

If you follow these tips and stick to your bariatric surgery diet, you’ll see results by the end of summer. Let 2013 be a summer to proudly remember because you did everything you could to lose weight and get healthy!

Weight Loss Surgery Safety: Hydration in Summer

Everyone’s at risk for dehydration in the summer, but weight loss surgery can present an extra threat. Drinking can make you feel nauseous or too full. After surgery, you can’t have sugary treats like sweet tea or iced mochas, or carbonated soft drinks. Some patients even find that water doesn’t taste good anymore after surgery. So how can you stay hydrated?

• Try ice water.

• Jazz up your water with lemon, lime, or mint leaves.

• Try chilled diet iced tea.

• Try shaved ice with sugar-free Syrup.< p>

• Make low-calorie cold coffee drinks with sugar substitute instead of sugar.

• Drink sugar-free Kool-Aid, Crystal Light or another low-calorie fruit drink.

• Keep a water bottle with you all the time so you automatically sip on it between meals.

• Drink extra before and after workouts, and sip regularly as you’re sweating.

Let your weight loss surgery motivate you to stay healthily hydrated this summer! When you get enough to drink, you have more energy and are less hungry.

That’s what we have for this month’s newsletter! We hope it was motivating and helpful. Don’t forget that we’re always happy to hear member feedback, so feel free to contact us! If you ever want to look through the old newsletters, you can check them out, too.

Thanks as always for your support! Take care of yourself and each other.

Sincerely,

Alex

==============================================================
If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you may unsubscribe by going to your Control Panel and clicking on the Newsletters tab, or clicking on the following link: {unsubscribe}

Hey Alex! Thank you for asking me to be in your newsletter Member Spotlight! What a nice honor.

One thing I wanted to clarify is that my surgeon was not new to bariatric surgery, just sleeves. When I was sleeved he had done thousands of RNYs and Bands, but only 14 sleeves prior to mine. There was a large trust factor in there (me = trusting him) before moving forward.

I also wanted to ask if I missing the LINK to the Sleever Poll? Maybe I just don't see the link?

And one last thing, I always wish you guys would throw in photos on the member spotlight. So I will put some photos up. These are on here already floating around but here they are again.

Thanks! (click on them to see them larger)

post-4131-13813666907555_thumb.jpg

post-4131-13813666908054_thumb.jpg

post-4131-13813666908529_thumb.jpg