Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling completely normal..not really a good thing...

I probably shouldn't post this. I'm tired and really discouraged right now so should just head to bed, but I know people here will understand. I just really need some cyber hugs right now. :(

I'm a bit more than a month post-op. Dr's instructions were to start "testing" foods to see what was tolerable at this point. So far, I can barely tell that I have a sleeve. :(

I spent the last week out of town training our horses. Long days in the saddle, being very physical. Our horses are usually pasture kept and when they're in a stall all week instead...well, it's a lot of stall cleaning, hauling Water and feed, etc. When we weren't in the saddle, we were "ground crew"...so all in all, a long, exhausting week.

food was kind of "sketchy" because of the situation. Breakfast was usually the Protein portion of a biscuit thingy (as in, egg and ham or cheese, throw away the biscuit). lunch was something like fish tacos, but just the fish and lettuce, or some tuna salad and a couple of crackers. One night, at dinner, I had 3 chicken wings.

I'm ok with those smaller portions until late evening and then I'm really hungry. And evenings are the hardest time for me. Also, I didn't find *anything* that bothered me. One night we went to a decent restaurant and I had a salad, tilapia, and spinach. Quantity wise, I feel like I'm eating huge amounts compared to others here. I can guzzle Water (and with temps being in the high 90s one day, I was definitely chugging the water!)

I had hoped/thought that the scales would go down this week. Instead, I've gained. One month post-op and I've lost a grand total of 8 lbs.

*sigh*

cinward, do you have a nutritionist/dietitian? I know you said your dr told you to test foods, but did you have a consult with a NUT? if you did, I would call him/her for guidance

I had my surgery on May 6, so I am almost 6 weeks out...the first couple of weeks I was liquid only and lost about 20 lbs....then I moved on to soft foods and now I am--like you--in the testing phase...but since losing those first 20 lbs., I've only lost another 4 lbs., so I can understand your frustration..those Breakfast and lunch amounts you listed sound similar to what I am eating portion-wise...I might eat a little more in the evening, like you...tonight I ate at a local restaurant and had baked trout--I ate about 1/3 to 1/2 of what was served to me...no salad but I did have a few bites of steamed veggies...you didn't say how much of your meal you ate, but I know physically I couldn't handle much more than I had tonight and in fact probably overdid it a little...as for the Water, I still cannot guzzle for sure, although I don't have to sip like others have

all in all, it doesn't seem like you are eating huge portions compared to others...my dietitian and fellow sleevers both here on the message board and in support group keep advising me not to compare myself to others and not to focus overly on pounds lost...I am trying very hard to follow that advice, and I recommend that to you as well

let me ask this? how do you feel--health wise that is? I think that is most important {{{cinward}}} hang in there

You are a band to sleeve patient right? I think just from being here and reading so much that revision patients sleeves work somewhat differently sometimes resulting in an easier time at eating and a somewhat slower loss. Is it because of the band or the typical lower BMI of band patients? I don't know... But don't panic or feel bad I'm sure the weight will come off. You may just have to work it a little harder. :)

The Fluid intake had me worried as well...I was able to drink quite a bit as soon as 3 days post op and still have no problem drinking (not guzzling, but more than enough to satisfy). My doctor said some people could tolerate fluids well, others had to sip, sip, sip (Thank God I'm able to drink okay! Love the outdoors, staying hydrated was a major pre op concern for me.) I was sleeved May 8th and finally able to add flaky fish today...we baked some redfish filets. Tolerated it fine, but I made the mistake of eating two pieces (probably no more than 8 oz. total)...really uncomfortable feeling for an hour or so afterward! As tigerbelle said, you really should consult with your nutritionist. Will keep you in our prayers.

Tigerbelle, I did have a NUT consultation. But I'm also self-pay via Mexico. I can email the nutritionist at any time, but can't actually go see her. ;) I'm just not sure what I'd say to her...hey, I feel fine, don't have any problems with food or Water, just wish I were losing! She's going to tell me stuff I already know...aim for 1-2 lbs/week, track the calories/protein, drink 8 glasses of water/day, etc...

Health-wise, I feel fine! That's kind of scary, too...LOL, as in, I don't feel like I've had the sleeve done at all....maybe I dreamed it? ;)

Laura, yes, I'm a revision patient. I need to lose 25 lbs to get back to my original goal...but ideally, would like to go 10-15 past that. So not a whole lot to lose. I do think that my band habits help...I already tend to chew food well, eat slowly, etc.

I'm hoping that I'll start feeling more positive now that I'm back home. It's a lot easier to track calories and plan food.