Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Pregnant and need advice!

Hi everyone,

Well I have been gone for awhile. Getting pregnant consumed me so I felt like I was bringing the board down. But I am back and Prego!!! Yes we did invtro and were able to conceive the first time out. What luck. But I did want some advice now from those of you who have been through this before. Any stories ect. Thanks

I am so happy for you...

I had my first baby in November of '05.

I guess all I can say is...

*try to keep your weight down (don't diet but don't use the pregnancy as an excuse for a free for all) :)

*Stay active (it will keep you limber and you'll feel good too!)

*Don't feel guilty about taking naps. You'll be tired and need the naps to stay healthy and "make that baby":) .

* With this being your first, your hips and back may start to hurt as they widen. I went to the chiropractor through this stage and it did wonders. Massage was fabulous too!

(btw.. I am not banded yet, so I can't offer any advice there)

Sheila

Enjoy every single minute of pregnancy and then remember to enjoy and savor every single minute of that baby after it's born. They grow up too quick.....I just tucked my 7 year old twins into bed and my 11 year old is on a coon hunt tonight. Was telling someone the other day that I would do just about anything to have to boys as babies again, even if it was for just one day!

Congratulations!!

Not sure if you're asking about pregnancy advice in general or being pregnant and banded. Pregnancy is a wonderful, joyous time, and you should just enjoy it, savour every minute, indulge yourself and enjoy all the attention. But with regard to being banded:

I havent been pregnant and banded but I have been fat and pregnant, lol. I was normal weight for my first two and 104kg when Eliza was conceived. Since I'd had preeclampsia with my two boys, I was concerned about my weight.

My ob told me that there was no need for me to gain at all as long as I ate a healthy diet. He said a baby needs nutrients, not kilojoules, it was my body that needed the kilojoules to grow the baby and that energy I could get from my fat stores as long as I made sure to be eating enough nutrients. So in other words, if I cut all the junk from my diet, I'd be fine, but I'd lose body fat as a result.

I pretty much did Weight Watchers but allowed about 28 points per day, so maybe a touch under 2000 calories. I didnt really exercise since it just doesnt come easily during pregnancy for me, dodgy back, bad braxton hicks etc. I did swim a little though. Over the course of the pregnancy my weight went up by only about 3kg and when I got home from the hospital I was 10kg down on what I'd been when I conceived. I had a 3.6 kg bub (8lb or so) so nice and big, no stretch marks and NO reappearance of the high blood pressure/preeclampsia, however I did have obsetric cholestasis this time, lol. I itched like fury for the last 2 months.

I tend to put on weight alarmingly fast whilst breastfeeding, in fact I could attribute a good 90% of the excess weight i was carrying to lactation, it just does something to me, and I just pile it on. So I regained all I'd lost and then some and then the lifestyle changes that come after a baby. In fact I'd say THAT's the danger period, not the pregnancy, I've never gained a lot in pregnancy, its afterwards.

But you most definitely do not need to eat for two and I would say I could easily cope with being pregnant and banded, restriction/hormonal issues aside. I'd easily eat enough now to sustain a healthy pregnancy.

Very best of luck, that's fantastic news for you.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

My son, who is now 3 was an Atkins baby... (meaning that I have PCOS) and a low carb diet straightened up my cycles and allowed my body ot ovulate.... ANYWHOO it was a wonderful suprise.... I was 33 when I had him.... My advice is to ENJOY every bit of your condition.... knowing that you are creating a life it pretty amazing....... I took it as my one chance to do every thing motherly........ drink your Water, and do everything to keep the little belly bean safe and secure!

again CONGRATULATIONS!

Congrats! One quick note regarding low-carbing while pregnant: I've read many, many times that a pregnant woman should NOT stick to a very low-carb diet while pregnant because the ketones produced in the process can do harm to the developing fetus. I don't know any details at all, but you might want to research that and start kicking up your fruit and veggie intake!

Congradulations! My niece is an invitro baby and she's now almost 18!

I loved being preg. and loved having babies! Now I can't wait to be a gramma - my son got married this past July so I'm hoping to be a gramma within the next few years. Just enjoy every moment. I'm sure theres someone out here in LBT who had a baby while being banded.

Congrats! I am also banded and pregnant. Now in my 12th week. This is not my first baby although since my son is almost 11 it feels as though it is. This is my first band baby though. I still have questions about that. I had an unfill done when I first found out that I was pregnant but I still feel really restricted. Of course I had lost a lot of weight so the size of my stomach is very different than what it was. I try to eat a lot of small meals but I have a hard time even doing that. Like my first pregnance I haven't had any morning sickness so that has been nice but there have been times that I have felt that my food wasn't going down and that I needed to just "get it up". I am still very, very tired at this point. I am anxious for that to pass and to get my energy back. I am taking a prenatal Vitamin (chewable of course) that is really not bad. I was nervous about that because I wasn't liking the thought of chewable Vitamins...yuck! but this one is really okay.

My OB doctor says that there isn't anything to worry about with having the band. Since I had a c-section with my first, I have to have a c-section with this one so they have tentively scheduled me for the last week of June. I am so looking forward to it.

Good luck and hope to hear how your progress is going.

Thanks for all the advice... went on a small vaction so I haven't been able to read them until now... Have my let's try and see the heart flutter tommorow and I am sooo excited. I really haven't felt pregnant yet... when does that come? No morning sickness either... the vitamines don't even bother me... Kimmcneely congrats also...it seems all I do is worry. I could eat all that wanted no until until today... and blip restriction was back. Ladies I have waited for this pregnancy for sooo long you bet I am savoring it. I will bless every moment I have with my child... it was soo hard getting him started...

Not that we don't want you here---we do!!! And I am looking forward to once again experiencing the miracle of pregnancy and birth--vicariously through you!!! BUT---there are also pregnancy boards out there, like these boards, they set them up so you are in groups, by due dates, 1st babies, etc. My oldest DD was on one, and made wonderful friends, 2 of whom she has since had a chance to meet up with. You might look into it---I would bet they would have an area for difficult conceptions, or even in vitro babies. Might be fun for you! I remember they had a thing where they told her weekly what was developing, and gave her a size comparison. I remember she told me her baby was the size of a jelly bean, and then another time she told me when the eyelashes had come in. I never knew any of that with my kids!! I find it facinating!

I am glad you are savoring everything---that is as it should be!

Congratulations---and keep us posted!!! We are very excited for you!!

Kat

Congrats - my prayers for you are for a healthy baby and healthy mother. Are you banded and pregnant or just pregnant. I myself have 5 children and also loved being pregnant and would maybe do it one more time - after the specified waiting time after being banded of course. Have you thought about doing the cord blood? Good luck with the pregnancy and the upcoming sono!!! congrates and good luck - keep us posted!

I was able to avoid gaining very much weight with the pregnancy BUT I gained after he was born and I was home with this thing (him) with no instructions and clueless! I was nervous and ate!!! And waited too long to get a fill I needed.

Learn from my mistakes. Congratulations!!!

Congrats on the new little one! I was banded 8/20/2005, and got pregnant 3 months later after having lost 30 pounds. While pregnant, I lost another 15 pounds (I always lose weight while pregnant), then lost another 20 pounds by 1 month postpartum. So, I'm down a total of 65 pounds. My baby was a very healthy 7 pound, 6 ounce baby boy, and was born at home the day before my first bandiversary - 8/19/2006.

I had only had 1 fill before I got pregnant, and I didn't have much restriction at all, so my midwife and Dr. Rodriguez felt it would be ok to leave the little bit of fill in my band during my pregnancy. In fact, I went to get a fill about a week before I was surprised with the news that I was expecting, and Dr. Rod found out that my port had flipped and he couldn't do the fill. Good thing, cuz I would have probably had to have that fill taken out!

I just had surgery to fix my port on 12/27/2006, and got a fill at the same time. I'm back on track, and starting to see downward progress on the scale again!!!

Good luck to you!

Congrats a baby is such a joy....You might want to check out www.babycenter.com they always had cool information when I was pregnant. Please come back here often and let us know how you are doing. I think we need a board just for preggers bandsters.~Mandy

Congrats !! I got pregnant 3 months after LBS. Kind of took a Detour to my weight loss journey but my husband and I have been trying to have another baby for many years. Will continue my lap band journey after my precious son is born in March. Enjoy your pregnancy and listen to your Dr. Rest when you can. But enjoy this special time in your life. ~ hug ~