Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can't you eat, that you used to be able to.

I've heard a little bit about people not being able to eat certain things that they used to. Either they get stuck, no longer taste good, or causes too much gas/reflux/discomfort. I am getting sleeved on 6/25 and I'm starting to get a bit nervous. Obviously I'm willing to make some sacrifices, but I am curious to hear what you guys have to say on the matter. If I can no longer eat McDonalds, Jack in the Box, BK, etc... that would be just fine with me!!!

For me its more of what I CHOOSE not to eat because so far Ive been able to tolerate everything Ive tried. I find that I dont crave sweets nearly as much and if I do, a big chocolate covered strawberry does the trick. I dont do fast food unless its an emergency and even then I make sure to choose a non-breaded whatever with the most Protein. When I started seeing the numbers on teh scale go down and my clothes getting bigger and the compliments coming, I did not want to do anything to sabotage that by eating fast food or falling into old habits. This coming from a girl that was a closet eater. Id have 2 big macs at lunch in my car by myself where no one could see me or even stop at McD's for 2 double cheeseburgers on the way home before dinner. Those days are LONG gone! Size 10 pants, medium (almost in a small) yoga pants and being fit/healthy have trumped any crap-ass food I could shove down my throat.

I tried Dulce de Leche ice cream from haggen daaz. It's my favorite thing EVER. However when I tried it yesterday, it made me physically ill. Yay??

I no longer "need" bread. That seems crazy to me. I never understood how people could pass up bread on a table, breadsticks, Bagels, etc.

I just dont crave it anymore. Its uninteresting. It takes up space that can be used for Protein. Sure i might eat 1/2 piece of whole grain toast for Breakfast. But the addiction is gone.

I am also sugar intolerant. Sugar makes me dizzy, shaky, nauseous, hot sweats, cold chills, dry heave, etc. i basically end up on the floor in the fetal position. Needless to say, I steer clear of sugar.

I can eat anything and everything, much of which are sliders for me (please explain why tuna is a slider food?!) Gotta say it sucks sometimes.

Everyone varies,and you'll have to figure it out as you go...Good luck!

I can no longer tolerate Ice Cream. I get sick when I have tried to eat it. Baskin Robbins was one of my favorite places and now even thinking about it, makes me sick. bread is another thing I cannot tolerate. It gets me full way too fast and I feel bloated. I stick to chicken where I can get Protein. Oh and chocolate candies was one of my vices. I can honestly say I am now a recovering chocoholic.

At 6 months out, I have been able to tolerate everything I've tried. That being said. The only "fast food" I have tried is Wendy's chili once and I was fine. I had about 1/4 cup. I always have Pure Protein Bars in my purse or car, just in case I find I'm on the road with little options. Plan the best you can ahead of time.

I don't crave bread at all. No Pasta of any kind. I just focus on eating Protein foods. I'm sugar intolerant as well. It getting better. I too would get dizzy sweaty and ended up sitting for hours waiting on that feeling to pass. Now I just sweat.

Some foods do get stuck like a dry hamburger

A chicken wing but if that happens I stay clear of

Foods that don't agree with me. The good news is I don't really miss them anyhow!

After two years, I can tolerate everything I've tried except:

• Greasy foods bother me. I can eat chips, fries, buttered popcorn etc. But foods like fried chicken or things cooked with a lot of oil I only eat a bite or two.
  • Tortilla. It took a long time before I could eat grains other than crackers or well toasted bread. Now all grains I've tried are OK except tortillas. A few bites and that's enough
  • Milk products other than greek yogurt and firm cheese. I can now have ice cream, milk, and other products, but not every day.

Lynda

For me its more of what I CHOOSE not to eat because so far Ive been able to tolerate everything Ive tried. I find that I dont crave sweets nearly as much and if I do' date=' a big chocolate covered strawberry does the trick. I dont do fast food unless its an emergency and even then I make sure to choose a non-breaded whatever with the most Protein. When I started seeing the numbers on teh scale go down and my clothes getting bigger and the compliments coming, I did not want to do anything to sabotage that by eatingwont lose weigh fast food or falling into old habits. This coming from a girl that was a closet eater. Id have 2 big macs at lunch in my car by myself where no one could see me or even stop at McD's for 2 double cheeseburgers on the way home before dinner. Those days are LONG gone! Size 10 pants, medium (almost in a small) yoga pants and being fit/healthy have trumped any crap-ass food I could shove down my throat.[/quote']

Sounds so familiar :( good for you I'm being sleeved on June 21 excited but nervous, anxious that I won't lose weight .

Sent from my iPhone using VST

THANK YOU ALL for your responses. I feel really good about this now. I especially liked BunnyK's bit about watching the scale drop and that giving her motivation! I think that is going to be huge for me. Also not being able to drink. That's my biggest downfall, the late night after bars drive-thru. Not to mention destroying a McDonalds menu when hung over. Sometimes I would wake up (still drunk) at 6am just to go to McD's for two egg mcmuffins, two sausage biscuits, two burritos, and 4 hash with milk if I didn't ha e any at home.

Again, thanks you guys!

Sounds so familiar :( good for you I'm being sleeved on June 21 excited but nervous, anxious that I won't lose weight .

Excited, nervous and anxious is normal so dont fret. The excitement will last the longest, the nervousness and anxiousness is just temporary. Be good to your sleeve and your sleeve will be good to you and you will lose weight. All these wonderful people arent blowin' smoke up your tushy, it really works as long as you work it :) Just think, Christmas time youll be around 6 months and you will need a bunch of new clothes so Santa better be ready :)

THANK YOU ALL for your responses. I feel really good about this now. I especially liked BunnyK's bit about watching the scale drop and that giving her motivation! I think that is going to be huge for me. Also not being able to drink. That's my biggest downfall, the late night after bars drive-thru. Not to mention destroying a McDonalds menu when hung over. Sometimes I would wake up (still drunk) at 6am just to go to McD's for two egg mcmuffins, two sausage biscuits, two burritos, and 4 hash with milk if I didn't ha e any at home.

Again, thanks you guys!

McDonalds was my cure all for hangovers for sure lol. I dont drink anymore though. I didnt quit because of the surgery, I just was waiting till I was healed to attempt it and I just havent yet. Plus, Im so active now that it would piss me off that I couldnt go to yoga or bike riding with my husband because I had a hangover.

Im glad you are feeling better then you did when you originally posted. Everyone is different and youll find out soon enough what you can and cant eat. Honestly, you may not even crave those things you are afraid you wont be able to eat. So dont worry, be excited about the new life you are giving yourself :)

Thank you BunnyK for your insight and advice:)