Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 5:2 diet

For Breakfast I have been mixing a esa low carb Protein Drink with a 16 cup of Decaf coffee. I then pour it over ice, and that makes about three cold coffees. It really keeps me busy drinking this. It lasts for a couple of hours of sipping and working. By lunch Im ready for my cut up veggies and laughing cow cheese. I like eating with my hands, it keeps me busy too... which helps me keep my mind off of any hunger I might be feeling (not much). Cooking dinner keeps me busy too, chopping veg and layering up with sauce and cheese etc. And I feel full after I eat this meal. When I get feeling "peckish" is later in the evening. I find a tall ice tea with peach Torani hits the spot, along with the "There is always tomorrow" thought.

The idea is keep what I eat low carb before dinner. (even dinner is pretty low) to keep the fat burning going.

Question for all of you: Would 5:2 diet be a good way of eating even if I do not have any scale weight to lose?

One of my present goals is to lean out more for increasing lean muscle body composition. however, i do not wish to drop any scale weight beyond maybe 5 pounds. I want to be fairly honest about one thing. I eat all the time. Every hour or two I try to eat some lean Protein in order to feed the dietary needs of muscle (.92 * 180 ideal weight = 170 g a day). My current weight is 180 and I have good body fat composition of 15%. However, I am always on the look out for trying better and more efficient approaches to maintaining health through diet and efficient fitness. Not eating much on two days would Los help my budget as eating lean Protein and drinking shakes is expensive.

I could not imagine *not* eating for long periods of time. As stated above and in other threads i really do try and eat TDEE - 300. However, I do end up falling short due to most of my diet consisting of lean protein through meat or supplementation. It is a Paleo diet that works fairly well for me. Would this fasting 2 days a week actually benefit my fitness goals and also promote even better health?

I am not a gym rat ( not for me), but do put in 20 minutes or so a day of hard core fitness exercises at home with 20 minutes on both ends to warm up and cool down in addition to 2 cross fit sessions a week (also has roughly a 20, 20, 20 timing structure). How would there be energy to be active on those fasting days? I primarily do body weight fitness exercises now which is very intense, yet extremely effective in terms of time management.

Appreciate any insight you have as the non scale health benefits of 5:2 you all talked about in the last few days sounds intriguing.

Here is his story: http://www.leangains.com/p/my-transformation.html

Wow. I think I have a new fitness goal. :)

One thing I've noticed here from all trying 5:2. When you do a shake or yogurt Oma NORMAL day (prior tostarting5:2) did it hold you for the allotted time between meals? It wouldn't me. I don't really get hungry between meals on on the fast days but I eat either oatmeal or eggs for breakfast then usually a string cheese around noon then a good dinner. Yes, I know the high Protein level in Greek yogurt is supposed to help with hunger but it really doesn't for me. Just a thought if you find yourself getting hungry. To have shakes, yogurt, etc. all day would NEVER enable me to long term handle it and we are trying to establish long term lifestyles I think. At least I am. Just a thought.

And Laura and Coops, happy vacay!!!!!

I don't have the yogurt by itself. I buy plain, sweeten it myself, mix in berries (usually raspberries or strawberries) and Fiber One Cereal or All Bran Cereal. That way it is super filling and lasts me a long time. I think if I just ate it by itself, I would get hungry quickly. shakes fill me up initially and can last me a couple of hours, but I don't think it would last me as long as I need on fast days.

And on a note, I have not been eating any breakfast. I am not usually that hungry in the morning and find it easier to not eat. If I do eat, then I almost get more hungry than if I don't. So I usually do not eat until noon, but on my normal days I usually have a small snack before bed, maybe around 9:00. So my fast first is usually 14-16 hours, second fast is usually the typical 12 hours.

This is the start of my third week and 5 fast day - so far so good... salad and chicken for lunch and I've ditched the sugar in my coffee/tea still on skimmed milk, which I prefer anyway.

I don't find the fast day a problem... if I start to feel hungry or 'empty' I drink Water and this really helps. Before my fast day, I don't eat after 9pm and then on my fast day I don't eat until lunch time, which is around 1pm so I have a good period of no food, just Water or a cuppa.

I've also changed my fast day to Mon and Thurs this week to see if that is better, spreading it out more. I think that I need to keep an open mind and experiment to see what suits me best.

I have lost 3lbs (but seen lower, not counting that until it is stable - if that makes sense) and I do feel better after a fast day - but my 'feed' days are up and down - one day I will be brill and the next I eat carbs, mostly in the form on bread or a bagel - quick go to and filling - but not 'good' in the long term.

So, I have grasped the fast thing, now I need to be more alert and prepared on the feed days... I am ok with this taking time, as long as it keeps working for me.

As regards exercise, I am enjoying Curves, and although it is not what I am used to it seems to be working as I have made good progress in three weeks, losing nearly 3% body fat, and several inches (combined and all over). Interestingly, I tend to go to Curves on my fast days - just a coincidence at the moment but I don't feel tired, lethargic or shaky. Not sure how I would be if I did cardio or a boxing class, but when I am ready I will go on a fast day and see what happens.

I go away on Friday to Spain with school - they don't know that I am doing the 5:2 and I don't intend on telling them either - can't be bothered to justify my eating patterns or listen to the 'Oh! That isn't good for you' crap that I know I will be greeted with (they don't know about my sleeve either). So, I am going to wing it and see what happens.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well and finding their own way through this maze of weight loss, fat loss and maintenance.

Hey Georgia,

It's funny but things like oatmeal or grains in general don't keep me full very long, never have!

I've not had oatmeal since being sleeved, so who knows maybe it would now?

I'm a creature of comfort I adore my Fage 2% plain Greek yogurt with blueberries and some stevia (1 packet) it keeps me full.

As a matter of fact we are waiting for dinner right now and I wish I were home to eat that instead!

On fast days I do that and Protein mostly chicken and veggies :)

Sweetums, I like the Fiber one idea.. I'm going to try that when I get home!

Today I did a fast day. I had a Protein Shake for Breakfast, Quest Protein Bar for lunch, 2oz salmon and I got hungry and ate a quest bar. It was 604 calories. :( but at least I feel like I've accomplished something. :) Wednesday will be much better. My weight went up over the weekend so I will see where it is tomorrow. I do feel like I have more restriction. :)

Laura- have you had Fiber One Cereal before? I used to love their cereal in the morning every morning day in and day out. It was so good. If you like the original flavor it has a very good amount of fiber (57%) and calories are reasonable. It is very filling and good for the daily BM too, without fail.

No fiddle I've not tried it yet.. But I'm going to buy the original and try a bit in my yogurt next week. And yes anything that helps with my digestion would be welcome! :D

Oh and the weight loss is holding steady ( as of this morning) and for that I am grateful!

First day of vacation coming to an end and food choices have been really good except for some specialty m&ms!! Coconut and mint flavors? Who could pass up some tastes of that!!!

coconut and mint!! That would have been the end of me!

I did eat about 60 over... but it was all pretty good, and I walked 2 miles today, so I think I'm golden.

Well my first week over and down 2lb (this takes me back down to my lowest), had a busy eating weekend so I am delighted with this loss. Fast day today.

The Fiber cereals really help fill me up and help with digestion, thus I don't worry about the carbs. Laura, it reminds me of putting granola on my yogurt (I was making sugar free homemade granola, but it was becoming a slider for me, so I had to quit!)

Yesterday was my third fast day, heading into my second week. I came in just under 500 calories and felt really good. Not eating breakfast is the key for me! Although I was not down this morning, I am holding steady at around 2.5/2.8 lbs lost, so that I am happy for. And I feel a lot less bloated during and after a fast day, and I like that feeling!!

My digestion was never good even before the surgery! Since? Once or twice a week... So it might be time to give it a try for sure!!

Today is a fast day for me so we will see how it goes on vacation..

Sweetums, yes on these days I make my first meal lunch. Much easier!

No scale today or the rest if the week for that matter. Kinda scared about that!

I just thought, "This really will be a way of life!" Not even thinking about the fact that I am only having 500 cals today. Amazing!!! I'm loving the 5:2 lifestyle so far