Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 5:2 diet

Hey Ladies and Gents,thought you might like to see this....from the 5:2 site,

We have now been collecting data on our progress tracker for over 5 months, with nearly 1500 people contributing, and have some interesting results that can give you an indication of how much weight you can expect to lose on 5:2.

Key points:

* The weekly loss is generally small...around 1lb per week (data from over 2000 users).

* Some people lose a lot of weight in the first week but then plateau so that after a month or so, such that the weight loss still works out at 1lb per week.

* Some people are lucky and have managed to lose more

* Some people are unlucky and have lost less

* People whose BMI is already in the healthy range are more likely to lose more slowly (around 0.75lb/week)

* People whose BMI is high are more likely to lose quickly (around 1.75-2lb per week)

* Men lose weight faster (1.4lb per week) than women (1lb per week)

For people who choose to fast more often:

* The weekly loss doing 4:3 is pretty much the same as with 5:2 at around 1lb per week (158 users)

* The weekly loss doing ADF is a little bit higher at around 1.2 lb per week (24 users)

#averageloss

For those of us 2+ years out(meat 3) life is very different for the "honeymoon" early sleeve stage. You def eat much more easily and maintaining is not a walk in the park. I, too, NEVER logged, worried, did much work and successfully lost 100 lbs in 71/2 pounds to reach goal weight. Slid along for a year or so, gradually allowing myself the luxury of bad carbs, junk, etc and let me tell you, they WILL lovingly slide right on down and you WILL gain. Of course, we all knew this was a tool. Of course, we understood that it would change but realistically, unless you have some approach to maintenance whether exercise (lots), stringent adherence to Protein only and very low carb or choose an in between its up to us.

For me, 5:2 Or IF gives me that. It doesn't feel like a diet and is very healthy (as proven by studies) overall for your body. I feel better, in control, losing the regained weight, and have plan in mind. Oh and BTW, lost 7 lbs in week 1/2 even with 6 "normal" days in between. And those normal are HEALTHY EATING. As Hilary Clinton said, "It takes a village." Grateful for my VST village. :)

"Vertical Sleeve Talk" is like bad reality tv' date=' filled with cat fights and so addicting you can't stop even though you know you should. This is my first experience posting on on line forums and I had no idea how much you can blast other people when you are not face to face. Also, this forum can be dangerous because the advice here is not necessarily medically supported and you can also get caught comparing your weight loss with others. So many posts are about "omg, why am i not losing?" Being a newbie, I am disappointed with this experience. I hope it's just me, and you can be irritated with me all you want because I tried to share my *young* and *naive* experience- omg, how dare she?! I hope other newbies aren't treated with such passive aggressive rage and name calling. Peace out, I'm going to face to face support groups from now on.[/quote']

I haven't read anything negative so far. I'm confused as to why you feel attacked. Can u share a little more. In my experience 99% of the people on here are supportive and provide info when needed.

Norm Day: woke up this morning, 190.6 lbs. Yesterday, a Fast Day, I had a Protein Shake, beef Jerky, and some pepperoni - 512 cals. Today probably around 1400 cals. Trying to bust the sugar addiction is incredibly difficult, not just in terms of cravings but sheer logistics - that $h!t is in EVERYTHING! Unless you have access to ethical groceries from Co-Ops that don't sneek HFCS into EVERYTHING, it is really tricky. salad dressing! Plain creamer!

I will believe this is working when I hit AND pass 184 lbs.

Wow! This day! Who's had time to worry about calories?!! Lol. 2:15 pm and 170 calories into my 500. Didnt even stop to breathe until about noon! At least you don't think about hunger but not hungry anyway! :). Happy Tuesday!

I've found you and I'm in!

Third fast day -week 2- all good and on course! I went to Curves too and didn't feel shaky or weird afterwards! Happy days!

How do you decide which two days to fast?

And how does working out factor in? On days before a hard workout don't fast and fast on the workout days or vice versa?

Just wanna get the logistics. Maybe that book one of you recommended on 5/2 would be a good place to start.

I understand this :( I still wake up thinking of food and go to bed thinking of food. The evenings have AND still are the worse! Last night I went to bed with feelings of anticipation for the morning so I can eat.

o think of food even when I am full :(

I thought it was just me! I dont know how people say "food doesn't control my life". Really?! I still think about dinner during Breakfast.

7pm and I'm at 320 calories. I'm gonna finish out the day with some cantaloupe! And PRAY the scale rewards me tomorrow. :)

Ok it's been pretty easy today! I shopped all day!

:P it's 5pm and I've had 157 calories for lunch so dinner before 7 will be a feast! Water is great today already at 70+ ounces :)

post-43821-13813666835932_thumb.jpg

For those of us 2+ years out(meat 3) life is very different for the "honeymoon" early sleeve stage. You def eat much more easily and maintaining is not a walk in the park. I, too, NEVER logged, worried, did much work and successfully lost 100 lbs in 71/2 pounds to reach goal weight. Slid along for a year or so, gradually allowing myself the luxury of bad carbs, junk, etc and let me tell you, they WILL lovingly slide right on down and you WILL gain. Of course, we all knew this was a tool. Of course, we understood that it would change but realistically, unless you have some approach to maintenance whether exercise (lots), stringent adherence to Protein only and very low carb or choose an in between its up to us.

:)

Sigh. This makes me nervous. I track/weigh/measure everything, and I have to be very careful, or I don't lose. It really does make me worry what maintenance will be like for someone like me, whose body LOVED being 300 pounds (not me, just my body) and struggles for every pound lost. I understand and accept I'll always have to do this, I just worry about losing steam....just like the old miserable days. I am so impressed with you and others who are out a couple years or more, and still posting and continue to fight the battle. Thanks for sharing your stories.

I thought I might try to move the hot topic of the new 5:2 diet a few of us long timers are trying here' date=' rather than in the "Gonna Get to Goal, Wanna Join Me?" Thread, so that that thread could go back to its original topic.

![/quote']

I wonder if this should of been put in the veterans forum...

I worry about the newly sleeved thinking this is a good option..

I don't think it needs to be on a veterans forum. I am five months out and am struggling with my timing of eating and my choices. I think about food constantly and wonder if having 16 hours a day or an entire day where I don't have to think about it would be a nice change for me. I think IF is a viable option for me and ppl like me. I like this topic and look forward to more info, specifically how y'all decide which days to fast and how exercise is impacted on fast days.

Thanks