Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you keep this a secret?

I have chosen to tell the people that are close to me, including my work group (who are super supportive people in general, and I work in Public Health, so it was pretty easy). I have a friend who had LapBand about a decade ago, and she only told a very very few people. She chose to explain her weight loss as Portion Control, which most people accepted. She has noticed that some people have treated her differently as she lost weight, and she's glad that she did not tell those people about the surgery, because she believes those are the people that would have reacted negatively toward her. If you feel like you need to explain the surgery itself (and remember, it's really no one's business what your medical treatments and decisions are, so you are under no obligation to explain it to anyone unless you feel comfortable doing so), you could call it a treatment for diabetes, or partial gastrectomies are done in severe cases of ulcers and acid problems if the stomach tissue is damaged.

Best of luck!

dd

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. It's really helping :)

Thats what my best friend told me. She said just say you're burning more calories than you're eating .Which in fact is not a lie lol

Lol I like! Grand idea

Most people are easily distracted, I just plan on pointing at something shiny and saying "What's that thing?"

I told everyone that my doc is putting me on a strict high Protein, low carb, low calorie diet.

I told quite a few people, my direct relatives (mom, dad, brother, fiance), some select friends, and some select colleagues because I knew they would be supportive and knew I would need that support in the coming months. There were people though that I purposely did not tell because I knew they would say insensitive things and not be supportive - my extended relatives. It's mostly actually because they do not like my fiance. He is from a different race and culture and they can't see past that. I fully expected they would say things like "well, when you're skinny you can find someone else to marry". They already make similar comments. As if I am doing this for vain reasons and not to improve my health and quality of life. I'd tell the people you already lean on in your life for support because most likely they will continue to be. The unsupportive ones will also most likely stay that way, you'd just be adding a new dimension to their callousness.

Most people are easily distracted, I just plan on pointing at something shiny and saying "What's that thing?"

LOL :D

If you tell they will judge and if you keep it to yourself, they will still judge. This is why I decided early on that I would only tell my closest friends and my immediate family only. The ones who love me and support my decision since day one without judgements. My body my business. I'm just say'n :)

I made the decision very early that I wasn't going to keep it a secret and have told a lot of people even posted updates on Facebook' date=' but I'm a different type of person. I could really care less what anybody else thinks. However I do understand that some people don't want people knowing there business. If I were to be keeping a secret I would probably explain the surgery as an intestinal problem and the following small eating as result of those issues. I hope this helps a bit or gives you an idea at least good luck on your journey.[/quote']

You made

Me feel better ! Everyone says to keep it a secret !

You made

Me feel better ! Everyone says to keep it a secret !

I'm glad I could help. With me I just felt I had nothing to be ashamed of no reason to hide. I know I did what I had to for my health. For those that choose to hide that's there decision and I respect that but that wasn't for me.

I do not regret telling what surgery I had, however, again, I did not tell my colleagues until I returned to work, just saying I was having major surgery, that it was something I had to do for my health. I just felt comfortable doing it that way. I'm sure most people knew, and since my return, I have had three people ask me serious questions about the procedure. So, I hope that my sharing will eventually help them.