Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you keep this a secret?

So only a few ppl know that im having VSG and I'm wondering if any of you are keeping the operation a secret and if so, how??! When the questions arise, what do i say? :huh:

I made the decision very early that I wasn't going to keep it a secret and have told a lot of people even posted updates on Facebook, but I'm a different type of person. I could really care less what anybody else thinks. However I do understand that some people don't want people knowing there business. If I were to be keeping a secret I would probably explain the surgery as an intestinal problem and the following small eating as result of those issues. I hope this helps a bit or gives you an idea at least good luck on your journey.

I only told those that "needed to know" about a handful.... and not anyone at work. I got way too much negative feedback when I first started thinking of doing this... And even now (my surgery is June 24th) I hear people talk about how lazy people are for having this surgery, and on and on.....My supervisor knows I am going to be on leave and I've just basically told her I have medical issues to take care of.... she seems fine with that (she is a HUGE exercise nut - leader at weight watchers... yup.. all that.). In the past couple of weeks I have been "trying" to follow the Atkins diet, so the weight loss shouldn't be a huge deal, but we will see......

I´m proud over my sleeve, I tell everyone who wants to know. You´d be surprised how many people has had wls. It turns out, many people want to talk about it but are afraid to bring up the subject. Good luck with your journey weather you keep it a secret or not.

Just leave out the surgery part. Tell em what you eat, how often, Vitamins, Water, etc. You are not lying just giving an incomplete picture. Pretend like you're in the government.

Just leave out the surgery part. Tell em what you eat, how often, Vitamins, Water, etc. You are not lying just giving an incomplete picture. Pretend like you're in the government.

Thats what my best friend told me. She said just say you're burning more calories than you're eating .Which in fact is not a lie lol

Before surgery, I told people and my employer that I was having "major surgery." The only people that knew it was the sleeve were my husband, daughter, and mother. If anyone asked for more information, I just told them it was needed for my health at the direction of my physician. When I returned to work, I had lost a considerable amount of weight, so when people made comments to me, I told them then that I had the gastric sleeve done for health reasons, and gave a brief description of what the VGS was. I felt more comfortable telling people afterwards, and it all turned out well, anyway. How much you say before and after just depends on your comfort level.

I have told people selectively. What surprises me is the number of people that are secretly interested in it for themselves or their spouses - and when they hear I have done WLS, they have a million questions and are very curious about it for themselves. I have encountered this probably 5 times since my 3/18 surgery. For that reason alone, I am happy I told them - it may help them with their decision on their journey.

I've only told my closest friends because I don't want the lecture. When the others start to notice the weight loss I will tell them. Most of my friends have been very supportive.

I have told people selectively. What surprises me is the number of people that are secretly interested in it for themselves or their spouses - and when they hear I have done WLS, they have a million questions and are very curious about it for themselves. I have encountered this probably 5 times since my 3/18 surgery. For that reason alone, I am happy I told them - it may help them with their decision on their journey.

Yes, that happened to me, as well, when I returned to work. I had people tell me about everyone they knew who had the surgery, and two colleagues questioned me, as well, one who is in the process of having it done.

I decided not to hide it...whether people judge you or not who cares....at the end of the day they will judge you if you are too fat or too skinny (you just cant win)... You can just say you are on a high Protein diet... or deny deny deny ;)

gmanbat, you cracked me up! LOL! I cannot confirm or deny is what I was instructed to say when I was working on a top secret project for the D.O.D. (many moons ago)! I guess the same can apply here! LOL!

I'm telling everyone (if anyone should ask) that I had or am having hernia surgery. That is what my kids will know too. When I go on the Protein shakes prior to surgery, I will say the surgeon recommended I lose some weight & to give me a jump start, I'm doing the Protein drinks.

As people start to notice the weight loss, I will then just say "I'm on a medically supervised diet." That will be it. If they probe some more, I'll just say "I'm so hungry, I can't talk about food now!" LOL!

I told NO one except my family dr & neurosurgeon...I talk with them about it. I see both one time per month. I 'talk' to people on here. Everybody else in my life thinks I am doing WW and the gym again....losing it again that way for the gazillionith time. I don't want anyone to know or worry. People can be mean, sometimes intentionally & sometimes unintentionally. I look at it as it is my business...and this is something I really need to do alone and for myself. Everybody is different. Do what is best for you. Good luck!

When people asked how I lost the weight when I had lap-band surgery I always told them it was with Portion Control. That is also what I said when my family tried to keep feeding me well after I was full.

I've told some people at work. Mostly the ones who I know would be supportive. I told my supervisor who is an Isegenix (sp?) freak and she was trying to get me on that. Does she NOT understand that too is a weight loss fad?? Anyways. Once I have the surgery and people start to notice in incredible shrinking woman then I will tell them what I did. If they don't like it, it's not my problem. At least I knew I had a problem and this is the only way I can fix it.

On a side note I hope my surgeons office calls me soon that I have been approved by my insurance.