Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat girl problems - 1 year out what cant you do

Im sure this is going to probably incite some judgment but I am very curious about foods that have to be given up forever because of the sleeve. Im not talking about 2 weeks post surgery wanting a double cheeseburger. Im also not talking about consuming entire troughs of food in one sitting. Im talking about completely healed, chugging liquid (does that ever happen again?), in moderation, human sized portions. Not eating like a fat ass every day but on some days when you really want to what cant you eat? I am just trying to make an informed decision. I mostly want to know:

Can you:

eat and drink (nothing major just water)?

drink alcohol? (beer, wine, margaritas, tequila shots, cranberry and vodka, long islands, all alcohol) and if so what is the effect?

eat and drink alcohol together?

eat fried foods?

go out to eat?

Spicy foods?

Pasta?

Rice?

smoke?

weed? cigarettes? cigars?

if yes to anything what has the result been?

Btw if you puke, i take that as a no you cant and you just havent come to grips with it yet (no judgment over here)

Im sure this is going to probably incite some judgment but I am very curious about foods that have to be given up forever because of the sleeve. Im not talking about 2 weeks post surgery wanting a double cheeseburger. Im also not talking about consuming entire troughs of food in one sitting. Im talking about completely healed, chugging liquid (does that ever happen again?), in moderation, human sized portions. Not eating like a fat ass every day but on some days when you really want to what cant you eat? I am just trying to make an informed decision. I mostly want to know:

I'm only 3 months out.. but here's my answers...

Can you:

eat and drink (nothing major just water)? No, I do not eat and drink together and I am prepared to never do so again. I drink prior to eating than don't drink again until half hour after. I always used to eat and drink together and I thought this would be difficult, but it's really not, it just took some getting used to.

drink alcohol? (beer, wine, margaritas, tequila shots, cranberry and vodka, long islands, all alcohol) and if so what is the effect? I haven't tried any. I'm not really much of a drinker.

eat and drink alcohol together? again, no eating and drinking together..

eat fried foods? yes when I was progressing through my diet I did try some fried foods to see how they'd go down and they went down WAY too easily! I don't eat fried foods now, but the sleeve isn't what is stopping me, I just don't want the calories right now.

go out to eat? Yes, I love to go out to eat. No problems. I just use appetizer time to drink my Water and enjoy my small portion when the main course arrives.

Spicy foods? YES, I cook indian and mexican dishes all the time I also eat chicken dipped in hot sauce on an almost daily basis!

Pasta? Haven't tried any actual pasta.. I did have some thin Vietnamese rice noodles and they went down great though.. I just don't eat wheat due to sensitivities that I had prior to getting sleeved so I eat a wheat-free diet.

Rice? I had rice without issue at around 7 weeks out.. It's currently off the menu because I'm low-carbing it but it certainly didn't have any ill effects on my sleeve.

smoke? I don't smoke

weed? cigarettes? cigars? Don't smoke that either

Btw if you puke, i take that as a no you cant and you just havent come to grips with it yet (no judgment over here)

Also I can chug water.. maybe not with QUITE the gusto as before, but 8 ounces at a go is not bad. I can eat salads.. I've never puked... The only food that I kind of felt was a bit of a problem was the yolk of a hard boiled egg... though those were a problem PRIOR to being sleeved.. I just sometimes get a stuck feeling when I eat them.. I don't know why.

as for portion size.. I'm pretty comfortable with my portion size already.. I eat from a bread plate (a plate that is the size between a saucer and salad plate) and it looks pretty full of food. I eat around 3/4 of a cup which is satisfying...

I can eat pretty much anything that I want. I have found that my taste has changed. I have always had a problem with sweets but now it's more salty foods. I don't drink alcohol or smoke so cant help you there but I do know that alcohol is just empty calories and smoking isn't good for you anyway(sorry the nurse in me coming out). I do take sips now with meals but the idea is that you need to fill up with good food (Protein/healthy carbs and a little fat) as opposed to filling up with fluids. I have never had a good tolerance for fried foods but I have eaten a few french fries with no effect. I don't do real well with baked potatoes but that's just because I seem to fill up really fast with them. I do go out to eat and usually get a couple of meals out of anything I order. I do "slip" if you want to call it that and have something "non healthy" once in awhile but hey I am human and I don't overdo it. The important thing to remember it that you are in this for the long haul and that it takes time to break all of our bad eating habits. I just take it one day at a time and if I slid I realize that tomorrow is another day and get back on the plan. Some days I do great and some not so good. As Scarlett would say, "Tomorrow is another day" lol. Good luck on your journey and remember it's a marathon not a sprint and hang in there.

@ 3 months out I can...

Can you:

eat and drink (nothing major just water)? Hard to do...it can be done, wouldn't recommend it...not good

drink alcohol? (beer, wine, margaritas, tequila shots, cranberry and vodka, long islands, all alcohol) and if so what is the effect? Yes I can drink all of them, but not as much as I used to, sometimes no effect, others I get very drunk and then sober quickly, I do not like the feeling of a hangover after surgery, seems worse than before, HYRDRATION is key

eat and drink alcohol together? NO

eat fried foods? yes I eat them on occasion, but don't feel good.

go out to eat? yes I eat out frequently, make good choices and portion out my food, take the rest home.

Spicy foods? Yes, I love spicy foods

Pasta? No

Rice? No

smoke? No

weed? cigarettes? cigars? No

I was completely wrong no lectures at all. I was talking to my sister and I said to her, I know i am a super fat ass because even while i am dieting and losing weight im like i cant wait until this **** is over so i can get some gnocchi, and i am worried about the surgery because some people say they never can eat Pasta again. we can have some time apart, but i dont know about us never seeing each other again. i dont smoke now but i have before and cant say that i never will again, it is something i like to do on occasion, and if the mood strikes me in a tropical island where there is usually ripe picking id hate for my indulgence to result in bleeding ulcers. i am really stressed about the eating and drinking thing just because im a very thirsty girl and i put down Water like a camel. sometimes i will stop eating until i get some Water because im too thirsty to continue, but i guess maybe that doesnt happen when you can only eat so much.

i am so curious about the alcohol thing, some people say they get tore down immediately (which i think may just be because your used to drinking for a plus size person and now your not) but i have seen a lot of, it wears off very quickly and i cant really understand why since i cant see how a reduced stomach effects alcohol absorbing into your blood.

haragl thanks for the advice, i have not even gotten a surgery date but my nutrition is loving me becaue im losing so much weight pre-op and i expect to get it after our next meeting on 6/25. im trying to make sure i am making the right decision, and though it is a little embarrassing, as you can see food is really important to me. since your a nurse any idea about the alcohol thing?

dreambig and serendipity i cant believe you guys can eat all that stuff at 3 months out! and 8 oz of water is super impressive (i have been worried about thirst a lot) other than alcohol water is my drink of choice, but i have not ever managed to have a meal without some and that is still a worry. I love the fact that you guys answered, and differentiated between personal choices and abilities. I hope I get some more answers.

I am 3 months out too...

1. eat and drink together...I know we are not supposed to, but I do...it causes discomfort, but this is a very hard habit for me to break. I am getting better about just sipping to wash something down instead of a good drink

2. Alcohol? Yes, I have had crown & coke together. I have had a few Bud lights...I felt the effects much more quickly & I am still a big girl, so it isn't that I have lost weight. I didn't feel so well the next day.

3. Alcohol & food...I never do this even before surgery

4. Smoke - I have never smoked.

5. Weed - I have never used any type of drugs

6. Rice - swells & makes me feel uncomfortable

7. Pasta - I haven't tried it yet...I love it, so I hope I can tolerate

8. Spicy - Not tried alot...salsa and jalpenos have been fine for me

9. Fried - yes, but I go to the restroom shortly afterwards..

Im sure this is going to probably incite some judgment but I am very curious about foods that have to be given up forever because of the sleeve. Im not talking about 2 weeks post surgery wanting a double cheeseburger. Im also not talking about consuming entire troughs of food in one sitting. Im talking about completely healed' date=' chugging liquid (does that ever happen again?), in moderation, human sized portions. Not eating like a fat ass every day but on some days when you really want to what cant you eat? I am just trying to make an informed decision. I mostly want to know:

Can you:

eat and drink (nothing major just water)? I don't eat and drink together. I stopped two months prior to surgery.

drink alcohol? (beer, wine, margaritas, tequila shots, cranberry and vodka, long islands, all alcohol) and if so what is the effect?

eat and drink alcohol together? I have only had a sip of something my wife was drinking.

eat fried foods? I have not eaten fried foods for two months prior to surgery.

go out to eat? Not as much a pre-op but yes my family have eaten out. I usually order an appetizer or my wife and I share an entree.

Spicy foods? I love spicy food. My wife is of Caribbean descent and make me homemade hot sauce. I also love Indian food.

Pasta? No more than one ounce a couple of times.

Rice? Same as above but is mostly couscous when I have had it.

smoke? I do not smoke

weed? cigarettes? cigars? I do not indulge in any illegal substances.

Btw if you puke, i take that as a no you cant and you just havent come to grips with it yet (no judgment over here)[/quote']

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am 3 months out too...

1. eat and drink together...I know we are not supposed to' date=' but I do...it causes discomfort, but this is a very hard habit for me to break. I am getting better about just sipping to wash something down instead of a good drink

2. Alcohol? Yes, I have had crown & coke together. I have had a few Bud lights...I felt the effects much more quickly & I am still a big girl, so it isn't that I have lost weight. I didn't feel so well the next day.

3. Alcohol & food...I never do this even before surgery

4. Smoke - I have never smoked.

5. Weed - I have never used any type of drugs

6. Rice - swells & makes me feel uncomfortable

7. Pasta - I haven't tried it yet...I love it, so I hope I can tolerate

8. Spicy - Not tried alot...salsa and jalpenos have been fine for me

9. Fried - yes, but I go to the restroom shortly afterwards..[/quote']

Hey luckysmomma,

You should really not start to break that habit. Start small by not drinking for 10 minutes and then build up to 45-60 minutes. The purpose is so you have room for the required amount of food. That is why you are experiencing discomfort. No matter how bad a habit a person has, it take 3 days to break a habit, the rest of the time is mental.

Hey luckysmomma' date='

You should really not start to break that habit. Start small by not drinking for 10 minutes and then build up to 45-60 minutes. The purpose is so you have room for the required amount of food. That is why you are experiencing discomfort. No matter how bad a habit a person has, it take 3 days to break a habit, the rest of the time is mental.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

I meant you really should try to break the habit. I hate autocorrect.

arent you guys super thirsty while you are eating?

arent you guys super thirsty while you are eating?

Nope. Never.

I eat and drink anything and everything I want. But I am very uninterested in a lot if what I wanted before. And now a bite or two of the anything and everything feels perfect. Miracle.

Drinking while you are eating lets you eat more and faster. If you don't drink with your food, you need to slow down and chew well. Then you really savor the food and you feel not just physically satisfied, but emotionally too.

Lots of cultures do not ever drink with meals. This is the norm in India for instance.

eat and drink (nothing major just water)? I had to do a six month diet pre-op and one of the things they taught us to practice was to separate drinking and eating: no drinking 30 mins before and after a meal), so I got out of the habit of drinking while eating. it really helped to not be fighting that urge post-op. It was hard at first.

drink alcohol? my doc says no alcohol for a year. 1 drink acts as if you had 4, so you get drunk very quickly (no driving!) and you make worse decisions when that intoxicated. I plan to stick to it, maybe a sip or two of my husband's drink now and again.

eat fried foods? Haven't tried - trying to put off that temptation for as long as possible on that one! I'm telling myself not to waste my opportunity with junk food if I can resist for at least the first six months.

go out to eat? yes, I've shared with another person or got a cup of Soup or something. I eat very little still at 3 weeks out. I was oddly not tempted by much of what the other people ordered.

Spicy foods? No problems at all, in fact I've been adding hot sauce more frequently to my food.< /span>

Pasta/rice/bread? Empty carbs, my nutritionist says not to eat it for tha first 4-6 months at least. I plan to try quinoa soon.

smoke? weed? cigarettes? cigars? Nicotine causes ulcers in your healing stomach. The doc was very clear that if you use nicotine, you get ulcers, sometimes bleeding and leaks. We all had to test nicotine free for 6 months before surgery (and definitely not for the first year after, but preferably never again) in my program. That includes e-cigarettes and chewing tobacco (all nicotine). I wouldn't chance it, personally. Pot makes me puke, so I avoid it. I don't know anything statistical about usage after surgery.

Can you:

eat and drink (nothing major just water)?

eat and drink alcohol together?

eat fried foods?

go out to eat?

Spicy foods?

Pasta?

Rice?

smoke?

weed? cigarettes? cigars?

I'm am three years out today, with that said, this is MY experience with some of the questions you have asked. I still do not eat and drink together, I drink up to the time I eat and wait for 30 minutes after finishing. This includes, Water, iced tea, alcohol. Everything is included. It's just habit now. I didn't eat fried food at all until I reached goal. Now I do, but seldom and not much. Today I had a reg. McDonald's hamburger, the meat and one side of the bun. In addition to that, I had six or seven French fries. I can't imagine that you'll ever be able to, or want to eat a double meat cheeseburger again. I've eaten a couple of fried pickles, zucchini....things like that, but it is something I choose not to do often. I'd rather have a jr. dip of ice cream at Braum's. I've eaten spicy foods from the get go practically and have eaten out since week two.....tortilla Soup, just the broth, at a local Mexican restaurant. At year #3 I can eat and entire tamale or enchilada, with about 1 tablespoon of refried Beans and 1 tablespoon of rice. I also order corn tortillas and can eat one....it is what I dip in the salsa rather than the fried chips. Pasta and rice are tricky, for me anyway.....it's like both of these get in there and then triple in size!!! :) I make spaghetti sauce and pasta, but keep them separate. I can eat about a fourth cup of pasta, but put a half cup of sauce on it. These are two things that have both made me miserable on several occasions in the past three years!! I don't smoke anything, so I can't tell you anything about that. I hope this helps!