Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gallbladder problems?

I was banded on 12/27. I lost 15 pounds before surgery and about 6 lbs. since surgery for a total of 22 pounds. I had no problems for the first 7 days, but on day 8 at 2:30, I ate only a couple bites of cream of chicken Soup, and then the pain began.

It was severe pain and I actually had to go home from work. I couldn't think with that much pain.

I got home about 4 pm, and took pain liquid and gas-x, but it stayed painful until midnight. My fever went from 98.3 to 98.6 to 99.4 to 100.0. That worried me. Then after a couple of hours, my fever went back to 98.3 and then 96.6.

Also, I was having the sweats all over. When I woke up this morning it was better. But as soon as I ate something (an egg) I had the incredible pain again.

Does this sound like gall bladder problems?

Hope someone can help because if I have to have this pain and sweats every time I eat, that won't do.

Hi, I would like to ask a question to the bansters that have had there gall bladder removed, I had my band fitted in July 2007, i have only lost 10lbs since then, i have just had my second fill 8 weeks ago after the first 2 weeks i started getting a fluttering sensation in the centre of my chest like palputations but not as bad but still annoying as this is there nearly all of the time i am due to have my gallbladder removed in 4 days could this be what is causing this sensation? i have had my heart checked and all is well, can anyone help. thanks jeannie.

I was banded on 12/27. I lost 15 pounds before surgery and about 6 lbs. since surgery for a total of 22 pounds. I had no problems for the first 7 days, but on day 8 at 2:30, I ate only a couple bites of cream of chicken Soup, and then the pain began.

It was severe pain and I actually had to go home from work. I couldn't think with that much pain.

I got home about 4 pm, and took pain liquid and gas-x, but it stayed painful until midnight. My fever went from 98.3 to 98.6 to 99.4 to 100.0. That worried me. Then after a couple of hours, my fever went back to 98.3 and then 96.6.

Also, I was having the sweats all over. When I woke up this morning it was better. But as soon as I ate something (an egg) I had the incredible pain again.

Does this sound like gall bladder problems?

Hope someone can help because if I have to have this pain and sweats every time I eat, that won't do.

Are you supposed to be eating eggs this soon? I wasn't allowed eggs for a month post-op. I still have problems with eggs as they are a funky texture and tend to get stuck. You should call your band doc if this continues, as those are signs of a slip. It may also be post-op swelling, if you are eating solid foods to quickly that will add to the swelling. Take it easy for a day or two and try an approved food again. Hope this helps, Mandy

Hi, I would like to ask a question to the bansters that have had there gall bladder removed, I had my band fitted in July 2007, i have only lost 10lbs since then, i have just had my second fill 8 weeks ago after the first 2 weeks i started getting a fluttering sensation in the centre of my chest like palputations but not as bad but still annoying as this is there nearly all of the time i am due to have my gallbladder removed in 4 days could this be what is causing this sensation? i have had my heart checked and all is well, can anyone help. thanks jeannie.

I didn't get a fluttering sensation but I had what felt like a balloon being blown up under my ribs. I also didn't have gallstones, but my gallbladder had shutdown, and was filling with bile. I hope your surgery goes well. ~Mandy

thanks for your reply Mandy, I think it is a problem with the Band it is around my osophecus area were you get the tightness from a fill. It usually starts in the morning or when i am shouting at my hubby or anyone else around it also stays with me till i go to sleep i am going to ask the surgeon who does my gall bladder op to see if he can check all is OK. THANKS AGAIN. JEANNIE.

thanks for your reply Mandy, I think it is a problem with the Band it is around my osophecus area were you get the tightness from a fill. It usually starts in the morning or when i am shouting at my hubby or anyone else around it also stays with me till i go to sleep i am going to ask the surgeon who does my gall bladder op to see if he can check all is OK. THANKS AGAIN. JEANNIE.

That could also be reflux. It can be brought on by stress or too tight of a fill. Are they going to empty your band for surgery? Some band docs do others don't. Mine does. I had to have a hysterectomy and my band was empty for 6 weeks. I was too sick, sore and tired to get it filled before that. I know that my reflux went away totally when my band was empty, I got a smaller fill and it never came back. ~Mandy

Hi Mandy, well it could be reflux, it feels like i have butterfly's around my chest were i think the fill goes, if it was to tight i am sure i wouldn't be able to eat without any problems? eating is no problem,sometimes it feels like my heart is twisting round and sometimes i get a rather big thumping sensation in the chest. The Surgeon that is doing my gall bladder is not the same surgeon that did my Band. I had my band done in Prague, i am from England i will ask the surgeon if he could have a look around but i am unsure weather he even knows what to look for. Thanks for your concerns please keep intouch

Jeannie. smile.gif

Hi Mandy, well it could be reflux, it feels like i have butterfly's around my chest were i think the fill goes, if it was to tight i am sure i wouldn't be able to eat without any problems? eating is no problem,sometimes it feels like my heart is twisting round and sometimes i get a rather big thumping sensation in the chest. The Surgeon that is doing my gall bladder is not the same surgeon that did my Band. I had my band done in Prague, i am from England i will ask the surgeon if he could have a look around but i am unsure weather he even knows what to look for. Thanks for your concerns please keep intouch

Jeannie. smile.gif

I was ever so slightly too tight and had reflux but was able to eat. It is a very fine line between too tight and perfect. Good luck to you. Have you considered asking for a few pics of your band and see if the original doc could take a look? Also have a peek under flouroscopy? ~Mandy

For those of you that have had gallbladder surgery post-band... did your Dr. remove your fill for the surgery? I need surgery but do not want to start over with my fills I am so close to my goal weight. I have an appt. on the 14th with my band Dr. and will find out what he says.

:help:

By the way I forgot how to change my ticker... I have lost 60lbs.

I was not unfilled for my gallbladder, and had issues in post-op with vomiting. When I had my hystorectomy this past summer my band was totally empty for surgery. I'm glad it was. ~Mandy

So I'm still not completely clear on what the symptoms are here. Over the last 24 hours or so, I've had very uncomfortable feeling in my uppper stomach, under my rib cage. It almost feels like terrible gas, but I'm not gassy. It's sensitive to the touch, and feels like an over inflated balloon... does this sound familar to those of you who have had thier gallbladers out?

Those are the exact symptoms I had when I had my gallbladder attack. I also got pains in my back and at its worst it was across my shoulders. Mine got continually worse and I thought I was having a heart attack, I was rushed to the emergency room.

Have it checked out if you can, usually an ultrasound will do the trick. I had mine out May 10, 2007 after they discovered one BIG :omg: stone about 3lbs (I was supose to leave for a Jamaica vacation that day). It's not a bad surgery. I was able to eat that evening and was up and moving around in a couple of days.

Be aware that if a catscan is clear it can still be your gallbladder. Ask for a hydascan, it tests the gallbladder function, and is simple to have done, just requires an IV. ~Mandy