Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CHEWING FOOD AND SPITTING IT OUT!

Again I sign on and the first thing I read is something about chewing food and spitting it out!

Please refer to the original post here...

Not good, not good at all.... Please people don't do it, and please stop suggesting for other people to do it. First, this behavior is the first steps of bulemia and getting into the habit of chewing food and spitting it out can lead to a very serious eating disorder. After WLS we are already dealing with changing the way we relate to food, so we want to instill good habits all along the way and avoid the bad ones as much as possible. Second, there's a biological reason not to do this too. When you smell food and when it enters your mouth and you begin to chew, the body goes into Prep Mode to receive food. Your salivary glands produce saliva, your pancreas produces insulin, your liver produces gastric acid and your brain begins to calculate how much nutrition you're about to receive from the food you eat so it can keep track of it's daily needs/calories --- the body is a well tuned machine and it knows how to deal with food when it knows it's coming. But then you spit out the food. Your body still has excess saliva, insulin, gastric acid and it can't figure out why it didn't get the nutrition it thought it was going to get so the brain accountants go nuts. Excess insulin in your body causes your appetite to increase so you'll eat more food to soak up all that extra hormone. Excess gastric acid in the stomach -- now released at the Y of your common channel -- can cause indigestion or heartburn or ulcers. And those brain accountants are now doing some creative math to recalculate the nutritional value of food because it thought it was going to get a certain number of calories, but none came, so next time you try to eat that same food the brain thinks you need twice as much to get the same nutrition as it thought it should have gotten last time. So not only is the whole "chew and spit" habit a training ground for bulemia, it's also a way to tease your body into thinking it's getting food when it really isn't. Bulemia is a very serious illness and not something you want to play around with. From the unknown sleever.

I was quizzed over this behavior pre op. My program will not proceed with the pre op process if you say it's anything but wrong.

My initial reaction to hearing this was..that's a slippery slope that leads right to eating disorder-ville.

It sends so many confusing signals to your subconscious and it's very dangerous for sure. I mean, do I really want to go from food addict to bulimia?

It is a very serious issue. If you think it's not, then you really do need more 1 on 1 time with a psychologist and a NUT.

I completely agree with this being a dangerous practice when used as a means to try to satisfy cravings. It's just too much like bulimia. I'm on this journey to get over my food addiction, not to trade it in for a different ED.

There have been times, when eating a meal, that I take one last bite --- the one that, as I chew carefully, I realize will be One Bite Too Much. I end up spitting it discretely into a napkin. It happens less and less as I learn my fullness signals. And I am certainly motivated to work toward NOT having to do this. But when I need to , I do it to avoid the extreme discomfort of One Bit Too Much. So I am doing it -- on occasion -- for that purpose only.

I'm hoping you guys would agree that this is a different than sucking on a dorito & spitting it out so that it "won't count".

(disclaimer: dorito has been used as a random example, and if someone somewhere on the boards actually did this with a dorito and posted about it, I am not intentionally singling anyone out!)

Some days I think he used a basketball for my bougie.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. :)

I honestly never thought about this. I appreciate Laura's initial information because it makes a lot of sense. This would have been one of those things that I would think, "What's the harm?" Other than being disgusting...

Cue after school special commercial music: "The more you know…"

Lmao chewing and spitting Sorry really I am. But it sounds like a bunch of really overweight ppl that refuse to stop eating like pigs. And know they shouldn't be doing it. Crazy!!!!!!!!! I had my Surgery on Oct 25th. And I'm down 32lbs. I feel awesome. AND I eat almost anything I want. ( just not tatting things) Normal heathy food. Just can't eat alot of it. BECAUSE that's what the Sleeve is for. To help us realize. Hey your stomach is full So stop eating now. It's only been 2 weeks and I'm not limited to anything. ANYTHING!! So all this bulk crap about I can't eat this. I can't eat that Is a bunch of BS. Your surgeon will tell you that diet paper you get after surgery is just a GUIDE to what is very easy to eat. But if you can handle anything else then by all means go for it. Just healthy stuff And listen to your stomach when you feel full STOP. Ok sorry had to say something!!!!!! :)

The diet paper we get after surgery is more than a guide. Advancing too fast really increases your chances for leaks and problems. Of course you can eat anything after a couple of months, but I would be very concerned about trying stuff in the first month that you hadn't been specifically cleared for.

Lmao chewing and spitting Sorry really I am. But it sounds like a bunch of really overweight ppl that refuse to stop eating like pigs. And know they shouldn't be doing it. Crazy!!!!!!!!! I had my Surgery on Oct 25th. And I'm down 32lbs. I feel awesome. AND I eat almost anything I want. ( just not tatting things) Normal heathy food. Just can't eat alot of it. BECAUSE that's what the Sleeve is for. To help us realize. Hey your stomach is full So stop eating now. It's only been 2 weeks and I'm not limited to anything. ANYTHING!! So all this bulk crap about I can't eat this. I can't eat that Is a bunch of BS. Your surgeon will tell you that diet paper you get after surgery is just a GUIDE to what is very easy to eat. But if you can handle anything else then by all means go for it. Just healthy stuff And listen to your stomach when you feel full STOP. Ok sorry had to say something!!!!!! :)

So I wasn't released to eat "whatever I wanted" until after 3 months, 3 MONTHS! Please dont give the advice to eat whatever you want just because your surgeon said you could. Each surgeon has a plan that they want their patients to follow because they have found that it works for them. My surgeon has been doing the sleeve for over 5 years and in that time has only had one patient who had a leak. He does what he does for very specific reasons. It is not okay to go off doing what you want so early out and expect things to be okay. Maybe they will be okay but maybe they won't be either. There are lots of suggestions on here for what we can eat and when we can eat it but the safest bet is to follow what your surgeon says. I'm almost 8 months out now and I'm still not supposed to eat grapes or grape tomatoes. He has his reasons and it is up to me to abide by his rules. If I don't and I screw my sleeve up it is no one's fault but my own. If you are eating whatever you want at two weeks out because your surgeon said you could and you end up with a leak or in serious pain, well I'd say that's his fault.

This is just MY OPINION and it is worth exactly what it cost ya!

Yes, you are only two weeks out... ;)

But it sounds like a bunch of really overweight ppl that refuse to stop eating like pigs. And know they shouldn't be doing it. Crazy!!!!!!!!!

And because this statement offended me so much, I have a question. I assume that because you had WLS, you were severely overweight. I also assume you have at least a half a brain and you should have known that the amount that YOU were eating and the quality of food that YOU were eating wasn't what you should be doing.

Why didn't YOU stop eating "like a pig" before it came to such a drastic measure?