Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out eating about 1200 cal/day

Just curious how many of you actually think 1200 cals a day is too many for a healthy weight loss diet. I just think going too low is asking to screw up your metabolism. A 1200 calorie weight loss diet is totally normal, even low, for an active woman who has not had this surgery. If I am willing to lose a little slower than average, what's the problem? Maybe Ill save myself some skin issues, wont loss my hair, won't feel deprived, etc.

Idk, I just have a hard time with the whole 500 calories a day thing. That is a starvation diet. I did this surgery to improve my health. My BP is lower already, I've been losing.

But I do appreciate the comments. I'm trying to assess what others are doing and figure out what's best for me. I admit, I do need to slow down and practice the 30-30 rule better. But I still think 800-900 cals is as low as I'm willing to go.

Again, thanks to everyone who commented.

Sleeve or no sleeve, weight loss is about calorie intake and energy expenditure. So if you burn enough calories to create a negative balance at the end of the day, you'll lose weight. Truthfully though, most American women don't burn enough calories to justify 1200 calories. But if you're a truly active person and track your calories vs. exercise, I see no reason why you couldn't eat 1200 calories daily. Like you said...you'll probably just lose more slowly.

Just curious how many of you actually think 1200 cals a day is too many for a healthy weight loss diet. I just think going too low is asking to screw up your metabolism. A 1200 calorie weight loss diet is totally normal' date=' even low, for an active woman who has not had this surgery. If I am willing to lose a little slower than average, what's the problem? Maybe Ill save myself some skin issues, wont loss my hair, won't feel deprived, etc.

Idk, I just have a hard time with the whole 500 calories a day thing. That is a starvation diet. I did this surgery to improve my health. My BP is lower already, I've been losing.

But I do appreciate the comments. I'm trying to assess what others are doing and figure out what's best for me. I admit, I do need to slow down and practice the 30-30 rule better. But I still think 800-900 cals is as low as I'm willing to go.

Again, thanks to everyone who commented.[/quote']

I ate 1200 a day for years before surgery and didn't lose weight...I'm just wondering where r u putting those calories?

Now after reading all these comments I am very worried that I wont succeed. I posted a thread about this already. A lot of you are saying your Dr has you at 1000-1200 calories a few months out. I ate 1000-1200 calories before being sleeved and couldn't lose weight...I ate 1400 on days we went out and then I had to work out extra hard just to maintain.

I am 6 days out...I dont get how this is gonna work for me

Isn't "starvation mode" a myth?

The Theory of Fat Availability:

•There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.

•The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.

•The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.

•Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you

may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit

you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is

when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to

as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in

men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Janice, somewhere on this site I read that you are shorter in stature. Is this correct? If so, then maybe 1200 was too much for you based on your activity level at that time. Your sleeve maybe shorter than others, which could account for how you were able to eat on 1200 cals for years and not loose weight. For me I KNOW I ate way more than this, but I am taller than most girls, and at rest my body needed more than 1200. When I was running... good Lord I think I consumed around 3000 cals!!! :blink:

Now, that you are sleeved and with respect to those who have shorter sleeves, it is much more difficult to get in 1200 calories unless it is by liquid or "slider" form in the beginning. Once you start adding in real meat the calories do go up, but for many of us so does our bodies needs are we are exercising far more than we ever did.

Id say thats a bit much for now once you get back to your fitness routine thatll prob be good, I am 16 weeks out and I am about 600-800 cals a day and I burn about 300-400 if not more. Id check with your nut. Are u drinking w or after meals?

"At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit

you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is

when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to

as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in

men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994]. "

This is why we are told to ingest a minimum Protein level so that our body will not break down muscle tissue and will aid in muscle Fiber repairs. Additionally, a large number of WLS patients do not go strictly no carb and no fat for the entire time they are in honeymoon. There are carbs in unexpected places (like green beans) and fat in weird places (like avocados). By making conscious decisions on choosing the RIGHT carbs and fats, you will be supplying your body with the correct nutrition that your body needs without having to begin muscle tissue breakdown.

Jeez..... the nerd in me came out again.... sorry ya'll

BTW green Beans and avocados are de-lish :P

Janice' date=' somewhere on this site I read that you are shorter in stature. Is this correct? If so, then maybe 1200 was too much for you based on your activity level at that time. Your sleeve maybe shorter than others, which could account for how you were able to eat on 1200 cals for years and not loose weight. For me I KNOW I ate way more than this, but I am taller than most girls, and at rest my body needed more than 1200. When I was running... good Lord I think I consumed around 3000 cals!!! :blink:

Now, that you are sleeved and with respect to those who have shorter sleeves, it is much more difficult to get in 1200 calories unless it is by liquid or "slider" form in the beginning. Once you start adding in real meat the calories do go up, but for many of us so does our bodies needs are we are exercising far more than we ever did.[/quote']

I'm 5'9"...I exercised 5-6 days per week its become somewhat of an addiction...got all the tests done and the drs just concluded I had low metabolism and it was genetic. I did lose weight when I went under 1000 but I was always hungry and I was also pre sleeve..so my drs and I thought WLS would be the best because it restricts the amount you consume...now what I am seeing is eventually I will be consuming the same amount. How will I lose weight?

I say if it isn't broke, don't fix it...If it's working for you then great, if it stops working for you then re-adjust. I am 8 weeks out and can only get in about 700 calories a day, my NUT wants me to get to 1000 a day...How do you like the cross fit? I was thinking about trying it but I heard it's so hard, is that true?

Just curious how many of you actually think 1200 cals a day is too many for a healthy weight loss diet. I just think going too low is asking to screw up your metabolism. A 1200 calorie weight loss diet is totally normal, even low, for an active woman who has not had this surgery. If I am willing to lose a little slower than average, what's the problem? Maybe Ill save myself some skin issues, wont loss my hair, won't feel deprived, etc.

Again, thanks to everyone who commented.

I totally agree with you! I think if you can get that much nutrition in I don't see an issue...I think most of us are just shock, personally im a little jealous, that you can eat that much. I'm just 6 weeks out and EVERYTHING is making me natious. Yesterday I managed to get down a yogurt and 1 Protein shake. I don't think your sabotaging your sleeve, you would feel it if you were pushing it! Watch your cards for sure..and its always good to meet with your nutritionist to make sure we are on track! I think we are all having our own version of this journey and you have to find the routine that works best for you and your lifestyle!!

This is something I will be asking my surgeon on the 11th because my nut told me if your going to be successful you you to limit you calorie intake the firat few months..of course you will still feel hungry your body has been used to over eating ..and your system is still filled with the hormones your old stomach was producing. .your brain has to get used to the signals your new stomach gives it..if your losing weight more power to you but I would talkto your doctor because its true im on a 1200 calorie diet pre op n I exercise 3 times a week for 2 hours n have only lost 10 lbs..the sleeve is a tool n in the first few months is when you lose the moat weight because you are able to limit your calorie intake once people get back to regular food thats when some stop counting n they notice the stalls n have to go back to liquids to brake the stall..good luck !!

I feel like I need this much food. I'm hungry enough for it. All healthy choices' date=' lots of Protein, eat about 5-6 x per day. Is this too much?

I am not cleared for exercise yet, but my normal exercise routine includes 2 days crossfit, 2 days strength training and 1-2 spin classes.

I have lost 25 lbs in past month (including 2 wk preop diet) but haven't lost in about a week.

Thoughts? I don't feel like I need to lose super fast, but I want to keep losing![/quote']

Hey Mamamareli. Wow.....reading this thread and the comments has been depressing. There is a ton if misinformation being given here. Look, first of all, 1200 calories is not too much, but just make sure you're making the right food choices. If you're on full foods, then dense Protein and green veggies should be your staples. If you're still on mushies or liquids, sometimes you don't get the full feeling with those foods. As soon as you start eating things like chicken and beef, believe me you get full very quickly and you may not eat as much. If you're hungry alot, someone else mentioned a PPI. You should try one to make sure you're hunger isn't really stomach acid. After surgery the 2 feel very similar.

It also sounds like you were doing a pretty strong workout routine before. You likely have a higher metabolism than some people. Crossfit and weight lifting will definitely do that. If you plan to go back to that level of activity, you're gonna need those calories or you're gonna catabolize alot of muscle when you do. It doesn't matter how much protein you eat, working out strenuously while eating 4-500 calories a day will catabolize muscle, so those calories will be necessary.

Finally, lets do the math. 1200 calories per day vs 800. That's a 400 calorie difference. Considering it takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound, that's 1 pound every 9 days that you won't be losing. Big deal. You will more than make up for that doing crossfit and strength training. And you'll be healthier, you'll maintain more lean body mass therefore maintaining your metabolism.

Everyone should read up on TDEE.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Here's a calculator which is fairly accurate that gives you your daily energy expenditure in calories. I've had my basal metabolic rate measured with a fit test and these calculators are pretty close. A 30 year old woman who is 5'2" and weighs 200 pounds and workouts 4-5 times per week has an average daily caloric expenditure of 2500 calories per day. If you consistently eat 600-800 calories per day your body will slow down your calorie expenditure to match your low intake and halt your weight loss. I've seen it time and time again. People lose initially but eventually stall. As soon as they up their calories to a decent level, they start losing again.....and they have the energy to be active.

Hey Mamamareli. Wow.....reading this thread and the comments has been depressing. There is a ton if misinformation being given here. Look' date=' first of all, 1200 calories is not too much, but just make sure you're making the right food choices. If you're on full foods, then dense Protein and green veggies should be your staples. If you're still on mushies or liquids, sometimes you don't get the full feeling with those foods. As soon as you start eating things like chicken and beef, believe me you get full very quickly and you may not eat as much. If you're hungry alot, someone else mentioned a PPI. You should try one to make sure you're hunger isn't really stomach acid. After surgery the 2 feel very similar.

It also sounds like you were doing a pretty strong workout routine before. You likely have a higher metabolism than some people. Crossfit and weight lifting will definitely do that. If you plan to go back to that level of activity, you're gonna need those calories or you're gonna catabolize alot of muscle when you do. It doesn't matter how much Protein you eat, working out strenuously while eating 4-500 calories a day will catabolize muscle, so those calories will be necessary.

Finally, lets do the math. 1200 calories per day vs 800. That's a 400 calorie difference. Considering it takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound, that's 1 pound every 9 days that you won't be losing. Big deal. You will more than make up for that doing crossfit and strength training. And you'll be healthier, you'll maintain more lean body mass therefore maintaining your metabolism.

Everyone should read up on TDEE.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Here's a calculator which is fairly accurate that gives you your daily energy expenditure in calories. I've had my basal metabolic rate measured with a fit test and these calculators are pretty close. A 30 year old woman who is 5'2" and weighs 200 pounds and workouts 4-5 times per week has an average daily caloric expenditure of 2500 calories per day. If you consistently eat 600-800 calories per day your body will slow down your calorie expenditure to match your low intake and halt your weight loss. I've seen it time and time again. People lose initially but eventually stall. As soon as they up their calories to a decent level, they start losing again.....and they have the energy to be active.[/quote']

Thank you butter! I like you have been watching this thread with the same concerns...