Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will start by saying I know cigarettes are bad for you in general, and regarding this surgery they will greatly slow the recovery process. With that said, I have smoked for 20 years. Through all of my research on this surgery for some reason I never considered I would have to quit. I enjoy my food, obviously too much, my glasses of wine and my cigarettes. I now and giving up the food, wine and smoking too, all at the same time??? My pre op diet starts on one week and I'm starting to freak out. I know this is all for the greater good.... Is anyone else having or had similar issues??

I have been a smoker for 17 years. I was told I had to quit smoking at least 6 weeks prior to surgery or it would be cancelled. I had my last cigarette on January 12, 2013 and had my surgery done on May 21st. I feel better than ever and would never go back to smoking. Of course it is something you have to want and be ready for. It is hard, but what better time to change all your bad habits and live a healthier, cleaner life?! Good luck!

It will be hard!!

Here is a post topic I made last week:

I began smoking just before my neurosurgery in 2009. I think it was just plain NERVES. then I got the job from hell at Raytheon in November 2009 and was smoking 1-2 packs a day at times. (no longer work there!)

I am now three weeks out. cold turkey. This is a great reminder for me as to why I am not smoking ever again. I am also proud of the fact that I am giving my body a wonderful opportunity to heal itself as I am almost 14 days pre-op.

thought I would share because the information is powerful. Good luck to anyone considering the surgery and having a hard time quitting. Do it for your health and your cute soon-to-be-jellybean.

Check out this Link and the list of great FACTS:

http://www.whyquit.c...Time_table.html

I have smoked for 30 yrs. Having to quit for this surgery has me worried. I've tried to quit before with the patch and with Chantix. I intend to see my PCP and get another scrip for Chantix and i'm going to try an e-cigarette. Maybe that will help. Am having surgery in Mexico, but, I think the Docs there are just as strict about it as those in the states.

I know how you feel! I haven't smoked for that long, only 7 years, but my hubby has been begging me to quit for years. Finally we made a deal. He wouldn't work as much of I quit smoking. (He is an absolute workaholic). I started chantix on Feb 1 2013 and Feb 8 I smoked my last cig. I'm not gonna lie, I miss it. I actually love smoking. BUT here is the good part. I feel SO much better. Yes I am still overweight and I thought all of my low energy levels were contributed to that, but I have so much more energy since I quit. Not to mention I sleep better, smell better, and hubby is happy:). You can do it. I am by no means preaching. Just wanna let you know you have support here! If you need to talk, I'm here. I honestly think you will be happy once you quit. If not, you can always go back to smoking. Good luck!!

Thanks saralou! I am going to my doc tomorrow to get the chantex rx. Did you have any crazy dreams etc? I've read that is somewhat of a common side effect...

I admit that was one reason I put it off for so long. I am scared to death to have nightmares and that's what I assumed when they say crazy dreams. I was wrong. Yes I did have crazy dreams, but they were just that...crazy! Everything was vivid and weird and mostly funny! I actually enjoyed them. lol.

I wish! I still can't decide which surgeon to go with! I wanna go to Mexico, I just can't decide where exactly. Any opinions/insight is welcome! :)

After 3 months of research I decided to go with A Lighter Me, Mi Doctor Hospital in TJ for June 17th, same day surgery. There are a lot of great doctors, you just need to find who you think you will be most comfortable with. I paying 4650 plus I am having my gall bladder removed at time of surgery as it is possible it could go bad after this surgery and hence, life change. That's 500 more, but it eliminates the possibility of being cut open again : / not everyone does that, nor has a problem. I'm excited, nervous, anxious, happy rolled into one. If it wasn't for the people and their support on this forum, I'm not sure what I would do'

LoneStar

The other thing that I failed to mention is the SMELL...I got behind someone smoking last week and normally it would not bother me, in fact, I would sniff the residual (sounds weird)....but this time, I literally gagged...leaped 6 feet to the left to get the hell out of the drifting smoke and immediately felt NAUSEOUS.

I have not been able to tolerate the SMELL of anyone smoking now.

you might find that after your surgery the tar and nicotine irritate your stomach and make it impossible to smoke due to immediate illness.

Just do not be surprised by anything your jellybean is capable of

I cannot speak for how smoking affects WLS as I am still a pre-op...BUT, I did have a breast lift done six years ago. The no smoking rule was the same and the reason why is because smoking inhibits blood flow which directly affects the healing of skin. The doctor seriously stressed how important it was to stop smoking before and especially after surgery.

Well, I didn't. I cut back but did not stop. There was a spot under my breast along the cut line which would not heal. It absolutely refused to. While all of the other cut lines and stitched areas where knitting together and healing, this one spot stayed open and oozed. Eventually my doc had to place a sterile patch over the area and I had to have an office visit ever two days until it healed which took about two weeks longer than the rest. The scar there is now much more noticeable than the rest of them. My dic said this was all a result of the continued smoking on my part.

Now I am a non-smoker. After seeing the problems that my skin had healing on my breast there is NO WAY I would risk an internal wound not healing properly.

If you can't stop smoking, try the E-Ciggerett. It is what I use now to curb that occasional urge to hold and inhale a ciggerett. Try anything. The smoking could seriously impact your healing.

Good Luck!

Thanks for everyone's responses! Just found out my insurance won't cover the chantix rx.... Really??? I can see not covering my vsg surgery, but not covering a smoking cessation program to me is nuts... Anyways I found a coupon online from Pfizer for a $40 copayment, hopefully it will work. Trying to put my best foot forward here, and Aetna just doesn't want to help me: /

Aetna is a bunch of weasels. I decided to take a short term leave of absence and they have had me jumping through hoops having to fill out paperwork by tomorrow.

US healthcare is terrible.

Dr Garcia provided me all my LOA documentation while my primary care office here in the US is still fumbling around trying to be organized. Mexico had everything done in TWO DAYS.