Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Tight, now I can eat a cow. Advice, please.

Hi, All.

I had a second fill about three weeks ago and was in pain, was pb'ing, couldn't eat until way late in the day and then only one or two bites, was afraid to eat becuase of how often I was throwing up, etc. So, I went into the Dr's office where he took out .25 of a cc (the fill was 1cc). But, now, five days later I can eat lots, more than I could *before* the second fill.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? What has happened? I'm confused and more than a bit worried that he might have punctured the band. I *am* restricted, but, again, not as much as I was before getting the second fill. Ostensibly I've got .75cc more in the band than I had then...

Thanks in advance for your help and clarity.

Coco

Yep, it sure does. I had a slight unfill 2 weeks ago and now wished I had of left it alone. Fills are expensive for one thing and now I had all that money wasted and I can eat more than I'd like. I guess it's a learn kind of thing.

yes unfills are very discouraging by their very nature...I was in the same situation as you and had an unfill (which i realise was necessary cause I could'nt even keep Water down) however when he took it out I was less restricted than ever though I did technically still have more in than my second to last...grrr...I am hoping that when I go again. it will get back to normal and I will find my 'sweet spot'

:) becky

It's post fill swelling that causes the "too tight" you really have to baby your tummy if you are one of the ones that suffers from post-adjustment swelling. Sip from a childrens sippy cup with the 3 little holes instead of adult sipping from a glass (it is vastly different the amount actually going into your mouth and with the sippy cup you can't accidenty chug causing even more swelling which is when you need to go have fill removed - if you can sip a 200mL one of those 4-5 times a day your not going to die while you wait for your swelling to go down..... just be careful moving to mushies or creamy consistency too soon if you have a tummy that is sensitive to adjustments. I know it's hard (and I learnt via unfills the hard way too!) but it's a necessary evil for those of us that are espeically sensitive if we ever want to get proper restriction.

Most people are not as sensitive as us ~ for many this is just a learning curve that happens one or twice in the beginning where they ate too much or too fast or without chewing enough within a few days of a fill (but compared to pre-band they genuinely thought they had hardly eaten anything). That irritates the stoma causing swelling... and if it swells to much or you don't baby it enough afterwards that leads to needing an unfill. It's easier said than done though ~ I find liquids a traumatic expereince; it was okay the first year but now my tummy flips and I feel nausea at the thought of having to stick to liquids (or clear liquids) for a week.... and by half way though the first day i'm out of my mind with hunger - a Rx for phentermine helps alot in this situation.

I too suffer from a very delicate and tempermental band. Just say the word FILL and I swell up! My last one I got soo sick I lost 18 pounds in less than 6 days..not pretty! So I winde up having to get an unfill and I am back to eating as much if not more than what I was! I gained all the weight I lost back then some so I have been frustrated too! I go in for the discussion of another fill on 01/06/07 perhaps that's when I will find my "sweet spot"? You hang in there!

Thanks for that info Cam...I found it really helpful. I haven't had to get an "unfill" yet, but your advice is something I will keep in mind at my next fill! Merry Christmas everyone...

It's so hard to know, that one of the drawbacks with this band I think. My last fill was very very tight for two weeks. I had lots of golfballs and PB's, but I refused to get an unfill, so I stuck it out and now, two weeks later, I really really feel like I am at my sweet spot. My surgeon is also a 1-1/2 hour drive away from me, so that too is what prevented me from running in for an unfill. It's just so dang hard to know when it's right and stick it out or to unfill for fear of hurting ourselves. Hang in there and if you feel you need maybe a drop more, go for it.