Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone :)

I'm having the surgery on June 10th. I've heard from a couple people I know that their taste actually changed after the procedure? Have any of you experienced this? If so, what do you eat that you didn't before or do you not eat anymore?

I wouldn't mind not wanting chocolate as much as I do now LOL

coffee smells terrible to me now. I drank it for 8 years daily and can't even take the smell now.

I have a couple of friends that cannot tolerate Pasta or rices...I am just 3 days post op and all I am doin is clear liquids.....that will be all that you want cuz you are dried out...at least that is what I have experienced,

Hi there, I just had sleeve surgery April 18 and am about 5 weeks out. chocolate was my go to friend. Today when I see it I have No interest in it.For me everything has changed, it's actually been a bonus from my perspective.Like I am re learning with a new palette! This may be too much info but after this month losing 36 pounds I have had two periods...with no carb or chocolate cravings...I am curious to see how I am feeling in a few months.right now i'm loving it.

I am not sure. This is something I've been thinking about. I have noticed that the things I enjoyed a lot before aren't the same now though and I think it really has to do with the not being a me to eat as much as I want. For example.... Before I really liked complex flavors. Like for instance pico de gallo mixed in with a taco or fajita, the taste of curry and rice together, and baked potato topped with sautéed onions and mushrooms. These things I can still eat but I have to try to think about getting the Protein in first. I'd I have room then I will for the "sides" and even then I can only have a few bites. I don't think I get to enjoy all the flavors in the combinations that I want because I can't get big enough bites with all the stuff I want to develop the flavor profiles I likes before and enjoyed. I hope that makes sense. Now that I think about it more its kinda depressing :P I'm 6 weeks out. In addition, coffee doesn't taste as good but I think that's again because I am not drinking it with Breakfast. I am still craving coke zero :( but haven't had it. I don't want to risk that given the guidelines. My sweet tooth is definitely less but I will have a piece of chocolate here and there but I don't get the same omg enjoyment from it anymore. And uh that's all I can think of right now :) Good luck!!

I'm nine months out and found this to be true. Anything with bread or breading tasted awful. I couldn't eat onions (one of my favorite things) until about a month ago, although just a couple of bites. I still can't use pepper. chips, rice, sweets and tortillas hurt. Unfortunately, this isn't the car anymore but I can't eat very much at all, a spoonful or six chips.

Just go with what your body tells you and avoid all processed carbs and sweets. You don't want to "get used" to them again.

It's early yet. I anticipated the change, but so far, I can't say that anything has. Ketosis (no carbs) can do that, I understand, so I'm really retrying to keep fruit in my diet. Really hoping French fries gross me out when that time comes :-)

If you're like me, French fries won't have the same appeal. ketchup too. It's nice that the things that aren't great for you tend to lose their appeal.

I am 15 weeks out. Sugar does not taste the same. chocolate does not taste the same. Taking that first bite of chocolate used to give me a rush. The feeling on my tongue and all the subtle notes in the different kinds of chocolate....the smell. None of that is particularly pleasing anymore. I greive for that lost enjoyment, but I don't greive for the 54 pounds that have gone away forever. I also cannot tolerate bread, Pasta or rice. I can have about one teaspoonful of any of those and that is it. I can eat crackers, pretzels and chips. I think dry is the key. I can also eat potatoes, including French fries. There are some flavors that seem more intense than they used to. Not unpleasant, just more intense. food is definitely a different experience now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches